• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bob lamoreaux

bob lamoreaux
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,176
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:47 AM

I think the M2-2 flamethrower used six (?) cartridges to ignite the fuel. Frank Hackley's book on military ammo (Vol. II) had a line drawing of one of these ignition cartridges, but no description of the pyrotechnic "charge". Does anyone have any info on what these cartridges were loaded with and how they worked? That is, did one cartridge keep "sparking" for a brief period after being "fired"? How is the f/t illustrated under "fire power" in this forum ignited? Last f/t ignition cartridge assembly I saw advertised was about ten years ago in Shotgun News for around $60. Thanks!
Bob

#2 Guest_Brenguncarrier_*

Guest_Brenguncarrier_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:17 AM

Hi The M2 has a 3 inch Bakalite cup with a 1inch hole and about 1 1/2 inch thick that turns on the barrel. When you pull the front trigger a pin is pushed forward and sets off one of 5 incendiary charges that burn for 11 seconds you will then turn the sheet metal mozzle cover to index up the next charge. The last Ohio Gun Collectors Show I was at a Collector had 2 Igniters in the sealed car for $125.00 Don

#3 Guest_CharlieHobson_*

Guest_CharlieHobson_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:07 PM

I think the M2-2 flamethrower used six (?) cartridges to ignite the fuel. Frank Hackley's book on military ammo (Vol. II) had a line drawing of one of these ignition cartridges, but no description of the pyrotechnic "charge". Does anyone have any info on what these cartridges were loaded with and how they worked? That is, did one cartridge keep "sparking" for a brief period after being "fired"? How is the f/t illustrated under "fire power" in this forum ignited? Last f/t ignition cartridge assembly I saw advertised was about ten years ago in Shotgun News for around $60. Thanks!
Bob

Bob,
I can easily fill a page or two with answers. There are some for sale at $150 a can, two cylinders, five shots each. They are complex, but very reliable and waterproof. I have fired a few and even just fired the Japanesse WWII. Great fun. I have a book, The Illustrated History of US Flamethrowers" in contract for publication soon I hope. In the chapter on development, I show step by step and close up of the cartridges firing. I will be firing American and Japanese at both the American Armored Foundation, 26-7 April and Reading Air Show 6-8 June. Sorry I don't have more time, but I get burned out. Email me at [email protected] and I will email you a few photos. I also restore for all the museums and am looking for any parts of flamethrowers. Thanks, Charlie.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users