Grandfather's WWI Victory Medal--"RUSSIA" Clasp

siege1863

Here is a scarce piece--the WWI Victory Medal with the "RUSSIA" clasp. This one happens to be a family piece! My Grandfather was a driver in the 337th Ambulance Company and served in the American-North Russian Expeditionary Force (ANREF). They were better known as "Polar Bears." He enlisted 3 August 1917; departed the US for England 22 July 1918; from England to the Archangle Front and served from 5 September 1918 to 15 June 1919; returned to the US 12 July 1919; and discharged 19 July 1919. I also have his copy of the Expedition history, published in 1920, and a silk scarf given to him by a Russian peasant family with whom he stayed.

post-211-1168210420.jpg

As I understand it, the ambulances were left behind in England because they were unsuited for North Russia. Stories passed down through the family tell how my grandfather recovered the dead and wounded using sleds pulled by reindeer or horses. Here is a picture of him when still at Camp Custer in Michigan.

post-211-1168210731.jpg

That is very nice! I've never seen the "Russia" bar before on the WWI service medal. Somewhile back, I've read an excellent history of the US troops sent to Russia. As I recall, they had to turn in their Springfield and/or M1917 Enfield rifles to be issued the Mosin Nagant rifles that were made in the US and intended for the Czar's army.

Thanks for posting your grandfather's medal! thumbsup.gif

collectsmedals

Very nice medal and clasp, and its extra special to have it awarded to a member of your family.

The "Russia" clasp is second rarest of the 5 Army Service Clasps with only the "Siberia" clasp being rarer.

collectsmedals

There are five Army Service Clasps (sometimes called country clasps).

In relative rarity they are as follows:

Siberia - approximately 9,000 entitled (but fewer produced then the Russia clasp)

Russia - approximately 9,000 entitled

Italy - approximately 4,800 entitled (but more produced so its relative rarity is lower)

England - approximately 31,100 entitled

France - approximately 621,600 entitled

There are five Army Service Clasps (sometimes called country clasps).

In relative rarity they are as follows:

Siberia - approximately 9,000 entitled (but fewer produced then the Russia clasp)

Russia - approximately 9,000 entitled

Italy - approximately 4,800 entitled (but more produced so its relative rarity is lower)

England - approximately 31,100 entitled

France - approximately 621,600 entitled

I could not begin to say anything accurately about production numbers of the clasps, but there were many more US troops in Siberia than there were in North Russia. I always wondered why Siberia listed for more in the price guides when there were so many more guys entitled to wear one.