Let's See Your US Shotgun Shell Ammunition Pouches

LTGSANCHEZ

Hey, lets see some shotgun shell pouches from any period. Rare accessory and I finally got one for my collection dated 1942.

- LT "Dirty" Sanchez

d954_1.JPG

Greg Robinson

Yep...those are scarce and usually expensive. And you've got to be careful of fakes with those although from what I can see yours looks OK. Only shotshell pouch I've ever owned was one of the Viet Nam war dated ones still made in canvas before the changeover to nylon. But I sold it. Even those have good collector value.

Several years ago the martial arms collector/author Bruce Canfield picked up one of those marked "USMC". I was suspicious of it but he swore it was legit. If he's right, and he should know, that would be a rare variation of a WW2 shotshell pouch.

Greg

Thanks friends, I post more photos when I get it. True, there are some good reproductions out there. A USMC marked pouch? I dunno. Why would they want a contract to have such a rarely used pouch made?

I threw this up in a new thread since they are hardly seen. I paid $130 for it, the most I've ever spent on a piece of field gear, but the price was good compared to others I've seen.

Now if only I can find a brit made thompson drum pouch for a good price.

Since the thread has been started, I will throw this one in. I got it some years ago from a good friend who has a reputation for digging out good items. I have since been told that these have been faked and this one is a fake. Since the condition is "like new", I am also suspicious. I would like to know one way or the other as I hate to pass bad items on. think.gif The second photo has the most accurate color, the others are a little too brown.

FRONT1.jpg

OPEN1.jpg

BACK1.jpg

FASTNR1.jpg

Greg Robinson
Since the thread has been started, I will throw this one in. I got it some years ago from a good friend who has a reputation for digging out good items. I have since been told that these have been faked and this one is a fake. Since the condition is "like new", I am also suspicious. I would like to know one way or the other as I hate to pass bad items on. think.gif The second photo has the most accurate color, the others are a little too brown.

Only comment on this I can make is about the LTD fastener. As a general rule, you like to see these fasteners unmarked during WW2 except for a dot. Marked usually, if not always, indicates a post WW2 fastener.

FWIW...there have been WAY too many of these sold in recent years, almost always near mint condition, to make me comfortable buying one. That "USMC" one that sold a few years ago set off all the alarms in my head when I reviewed the pics.

Charlie Flick

OK, here is one from the Viet Nam era showing the labeling on the inside of the flap. 1969 dated, it was made by Nordac Mfg. Co. These were made out of cotton duck. This example is unissued. The post-VN era versions were made of a synthetic fabric like nylon or something similar.

Shotgun_Ammo_Pouch_1969.jpg

And the rear view which also displays the US marking on the flap.

Charlie

Shotgun_ammo_pouch_1969_rear.jpg

Charlie Flick

There are, unfortunately, tons of these things being made currently. Some are identified by the sellers as reproductions, and some not. A google search turns up a bunch of places selling them, of varying quality.

Here is an example. This pic was taken from the At The Front militaria dealer site. Their pouches, which they proclaim to be US made, are marked "Kirkman Mfg. 1942", a fictitious name.

Charlie

Repro_Shotgun_Pouch_ATF.jpg

Thanks for the real and the fake examples. Does anyone know any authentic wwii period examples that have "pouch, ammuntion shotgun" stenciled to the front? Also, the example I picked up I believe is marked Kadin 1942.

Also, the JQMD 1943 example above doesn't seem good, especially with the marked lift the dot snaps.

Johan Willaert

OK, Here's mine...

Don't know anything about it except that I got it off Ebay.co.uk about two years ago at the price of about 50USd, which seemed a good deal at the time....

Somehow I like the way the U.S. marking is off to the left....

What do you guys think?

ShotgunPouchFront.jpg

ShotgunPouchRear.jpg

ShotgunPouchInside.jpg

JOhan

Okay here is the pouch that goes with my M12 trench gun. I agree that most WWII snaps are unmarked except for the small dot punch. Most of the items I have are so marked. However the snaps on this pouch bear the words "star pull" with a six pointed star. I purchased it about 10 years ago. I also have an original over the shoulder carried pouch that holds 4, 30 rd Thompson magazines. The pouch is ink stamped on the back, "HST CO 42", and it also has the "Star Pull" stamped snaps. If I recall I got this thompson pouch over 12 yrs ago from a guy that dealt in original surplus items he would buy at government auctions. Ray

Moderators Note MISSING PHOTOS

For some reason the photo is shows funny pattern lines which does not appear on the pouch or on the original photos I took. Ray

Johan and rayg, those pouches look good. I guess JQMD was the maker that had the "pouch shotgun ammunition" stamped to the front of the pouch, and why its seen on reproductions.

Also, there is a nice vietnam era shotgun pouch for anyone looking for one on ebay now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-WWII-US-Shotgun-S...temZ16019244564

It's really sad, that if the one bayonetman has is a repro, it's going to be very difficult in the future after that pouch obtains some natual aging to tell the difference from it and an original one. At least you'll be able to tell with the ATF one.

Bayonetman, I'm not familar with that mark on the snap and whether or not it's post war but as you see with my pouch, there were different marked snaps used. Now there just could be a chance yours is original unless someone can Id that marking definately as post war or has some known repros with that snap. I am not very familar with the repro stuff that is out there.

Anyway, just in case, look at the thin wire inside the female snap and see if it has a patina or if it is still bright and shinny as even a mint original one would show an aging/patina on the metal fasteners and especially on that wire. Also this just might work, although I'm never tried it myself but seems like it should work. Heat the snaps up with a hair dryer and see if you get a strong paint smell, I think this would indicate newer paint. Ray

Rayg,

I completely agree with you on the issue with the field gear... after obtaining some natural aging, it will be very hard to tell the difference with repro and real. Same goes for any ww1 and ww2 field gear.

there is an easy way of identification

just smell your pouch....the original american WWII KOREA and VIETNAM webbing smells like dog!!! is a very unique smell that u'll never forget

if does'nt smells anything be aware...is a fake just trust your nose

Will the day when fakers spray their offerings with "eau de wet dog" be too far in the future? I think not! w00t.gif Coolman, seriously now, you have a point there! think.gif

Greg Robinson

At one time there was a guy selling fake USMC e tool covers and FA pouches that appeared to be made of period original canvas. I was told by one knowledgeable source that fakers would cut up WW2 USMC M1941 packs made at the Phila Depot to obtain that Marine Corps distinctive mustard tan canvas that looks and even smells old. I was outraged to think that not only were fakes being made but that original items were being butchered to do so. But then just look at some of the items being sold as reproductions sold by a well known dealer and he cut up original USMC camouflage shelter halfs to make them. So it's all about money.

Greg

very stupid to cut down an original marine pack to make something alse!!! the marine pack has a high value by its own..anyway..some other ways of identification...apart the smell look for some corrosion on the metal parts & fasteners..on mint samples there is no corrosion but ussualy the fake fasteners are not the same good or the same strong as the originals & u can tell from miles that they are fake...the star*pull LTD fastener is very okay for WWII...i have many wartime samples with star*pull...also the stiches along the lips on the fakes are not straight as the real ones but most likely a zig zag kind of thing...come on boys...if after 20 or 30 years of collecting ur not yet able to tell what is fake & what is not u better quit & spent ur time in an other hobby...its rediculus...personaly talking nobody can pass me a fake as original bc i'm collecting from 1980 & i'v got the instict...i smell the item i touch it & i feel it...i was'nt expecting the 1998 & the release of the "saving private ryan movie "to start collecting as most of the todays collectors do..i was collecting years before that hobby becomes a fashion

"remember" nobody can imitate the good old military dirt mixed with the smell of that poison sprayed from factory over any canvas or webbing item in WWII & after till nam...all the fakes are as fresh as the 1st springtime day.

and now the dangerous part of the hobby...collectors be carefull...that US military smell is not so healthy nor so inocent...dont sleep with your webbing & dont love it or kiss it so much & dont forget to wash ur hands...this poison is blamed for some cancer incidents & some dealers & collectors died of cancer...coincidence??? maybe...it's not 100% confirmed what i'm saying but u better be carefull...good collector is the alive collector thumbsup.gif

Gary & Greg,

Maybe the JQMD used from time to time but relatively regularly through the war the LTDs manufactured by the company which logo is a triangle with "S" inside? Below I am re-posting my pic from the LTDs-dedicated topic.

I do have star-stamped LTDs with "PULL STAR" inscription stamped -- they are in 1942 dated canteen cover by the Shane Mfg. Co. I have also triangle-stamped LTDs with "S" stamped inside the triangle -- they are in 1945 dated canteen cover by the JQMD.

Best regards

Gregory

post-75-1198865384.jpg

craig_pickrall

RUBON 1942

post-5-1198874466.jpg

post-5-1198874472.jpg

post-5-1198874478.jpg

post-5-1198874484.jpg

I do not recall ever seeing a WW2 combat soldier using one of these shell pouches but I have seen pics of Guards, Sentries, Security Police, etc using them.

craig_pickrall

I have seen one pic of either a 173rd ABN BDE or 101st ABN DIV combat soldier using one of these pouches in Vietnam.

post-5-1198874679.jpg

post-5-1198874686.jpg

post-5-1198874693.jpg

craig_pickrall

NORDAC was a government contractor located just outside Fredericksburg, Virginia. They also manufactured military style goods for other countries as well as direct sells to the public. They had an Outlet / Surplus store on the same property as the manufacturing facility. They got into trouble with the government with a contract and ended up going out of business. The majority of their manufacturing equipment as well as old stock went to London Bridge Trading CO in Virginia Beach, VA.

post-5-1198874880.jpg

post-5-1198874886.jpg

post-5-1198874892.jpg

craig_pickrall

This pouch was made by London Bridge and I think it was a special contract for the USMC. There has been some slight use to the pouch. I know that LB makes limited quantities of special items for the military so it is very possible this pouch was an issue item. It is marked XM for experimental. See comments about LB under the NORDAC pouch.

post-5-1198875285.jpg

post-5-1198875291.jpg

post-5-1198875296.jpg