Great Photos of a Marine

Championhilz

I thought the group might be interested in these photos, as I know there are a lot of USMC collectors out there. I collect artifacts related to the USS Seattle, an armored cruiser that my grandfather served on during WW I. I recently made contact with a very nice lady that had a great uncle who was part of the Marine detachment on the Seattle during WW I. She was kind enough to send me several photos of him, and a copy of a letter he wrote while onboard the Seattle. His name was John Prater, and he was in the Marines for over twenty years, ending his career as a gunnery sergeant. Here is the first photo, if anyone can identify all of the medals he is wearing, please let me know and I will pass the information on to the family.

post-274-1198377289.jpg

Darrell droll is an understatement! For me photos of that subject matter show up once a year at best....this one is a real joy to look at! I like the fact that he is wearing his ER and SS at the same time.....kind of overkill for the folks back home maybe? Also like the crease running down the arm where the seam-to-seam ends. Just a darned great shot! Championhilz maybe when we finally do our thread on marine uniforms you will consider posting it again as well. Dirk

That bottom center medal sure looks like a USN Good Conduct. I wonder if he did one enlistement in the Navy and then transfered over to the Marines?

Kurt

• 8 years later...

post-162207-0-66596700-1457385601.jpgI recently inherited a box full of my great Uncle John Lester Prater's items, including quite a bit of military pictures and information. Thought I would add one more picture of him in uniform, taken earlier in his career.

post-162207-0-54697000-1457386006.jpgOne more picture of John Lester PRATER. I am sorry that I do not have any additional information on where or when this photo was taken. John Prater is bottom row right hand side.

attachicon.gifScan_20160214 (11)r.jpgOne more picture of John Lester PRATER. I am sorry that I do not have any additional information on where or when this photo was taken. John Prater is bottom row right hand side.

Looks like the group is on board ship.

Great photos thanks for posting

This picture was taken on John Lester Prater's wedding day to Hanna Louise Cattell April 8, 1918 at the Uptown Presbyterian Church, Newark, NJ.

post-162207-0-43137700-1457386271.jpg

Great images of a Marine who entered the Corps no later than 1906...and with scarcely seen Gunnery Sergeant chevrons, and an unusual rather long ribbon on his Good Conduct Medal.

Fantastic early images, I have always been partial to early USMC portraits. Thanks for sharing your family history

Thank you all and glad you liked seeing them. I have his records, along with those stripes. Do you think copies of his records would be appropriate on this site? I am new but want to share what I can of his that may be of interest.

I have 3 separate sets of military records for John Lester Prater, 2 pages each, that I will post. They are from 1911, 1915 and 1919.

post-162207-0-34188100-1457402037.jpg