possibily a real MACV SOG modified JJ on E@@y right now

marentius

blitzkrieg gsd

USMCRECON thats what im saying theres no way to know for sure who what or where on a piece like this. Your example is one of many that all end the same and thats its not what you think.

Bob im sorry if you took my post wrong i was kind of joking about the west coast vs European collector comment. I just thought it was kind of fuunny that you guys though that way i had no idea it was like that. But i do stand behind what i said about myself needing some provenace on a piece with a price tag like this jacket. But just because i feel that way does not mean that thats the only rite way. Here on the east coast there are more guys who say they served in SF then ever were really there. And theres no telling what kind of gear they have in the garage that they used to prove there service. So its a gamble without some kind of proof in my eyes to spend that kind of money on something from a rag pile at a flee market. One quick example for you to ponder when my dad came home from Nam he joined the PD. At that time the SWAT program was just starting. They were writing the book as they went along and alot probably most were Nam vets. So it was normal for them to go back to the training and tactics they learned while there. What kind of uniforms did they use well most of them used the stuff they brought home with them. And alot of them took there stuff to the tailor shop and had mods done to make them work for police work. Now how can you be 100% sure this jacket didnt travel a road like that? I dont think you can without the proper proof so in my eyes this can not be a prooven SF jacket. But if the guy the bought it likes it for what it is and thinks its worth what he paid then a salute to him. Because in the end thats what matters the guy that pays for it makes the call. I looked at his web site he looks like a serious collector and probably knows way more then i don about this kind of stuff. So as long as hee is happy thats the main thing beauty is in thhe eye of the holder for sure.

• 2 years later...
dave peifer

i have found this thread very interesting.i have a good friend whom i have known for 20+years and have aquired a few things from.he spent 30 years in special forces except for his first enlistment,he had 2 tours in vietnam attached to sf augmentation both mac-v-sog,1 tour ccn and the other ccs.what i have learned about sog came from him and 3 guys who served with him.i have picked his brain on many occasions.he always wore sterile jungles on his ops,he said some guys sprayed and modified there jungles but most wore plain jungles.he told me "we wore what suited us in the field,one guy wore denims"he hated the tigers",no pocket space and the material rotted to quickly."he also served 1970-74 in panama where they also "always "wore sterile uniforms.he told me they were required to have 2 sets of sterile field uniforms at all times where ever they were,he retired a sgt/maj.from conversations with these 4 operaters i have drawn the conclusion that modified uniforms happened in vietnam but it was rare,it all depended on the operater.............dave

Just to add to what Owen had posted that you never know what will turn up at the Rose Bowl, at the March RB I got a REAL German SS camo smock for $20.00 out of one of the many racks that are all over the place. I was convinced it was fake but when I showed it to Owen an hour later to say I was shocked when he told me it was real was an understatement.

dave peifer

i just talked to george 10 min. ago......asked if they took the size and dsa tags out of the jungles he said "when we went cross border we didn't wear anything to id us, as far as tags in uniforms we were the only army there that wore that type of uniform so the nva would know who we were.if you got caught over the border you were done,nothing was worn to identify the person or unit"...."we always had the highest respact for the enemy,they weren't stupid" interesting insights.........dave

kammo-man

Regardless .

The jacket is a real example of a SOG over the fence jacket.

And As Spike said the Rose Bowl is a military VORTEX .

owen

• 3 weeks later...
TrenchfootJoe66

That jacket is killer, WTG to all involved with that one.

What Im more interested in is O's comment about the Rose Bowl being a militaria vortex. There does seem to be a heck of a lot more vintage cloth for sale than I normally see at even the better east coast fleas. Im wondering why that might be ? Also Tigers seem to pop up with slightly more regularity than they do in my neck of the woods. And I live close to the home of SF and even closer to a large Viet community. Add that to the fact that an enormous number of military retirees live around here. Im not saying I never find the stuff, as I clearly do, and more frequently than most, but southern CA seems to be a hot spot particularly for the Nam stuff and even more so for Tigers. Thoughts and comments ?