WWI USMC Shovel Cover?

Red Devil

Just picked this one up within the last week. In doing a little research I think it's WWI USMC but there are no markings, other than an old inked numeral. The hanger has a metal tube to hold it in the stitching. There is a rivet on each corner and all parts appear to be original and not replaced.

I reference this thread in making my identification: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry423496

All thoughts and assessments are more welcomed!

-Johannes

post-9214-1329271958.jpg

RD-

I didn't want your excellent acquisition to go unmentioned. I concur that your shovel cover is, in my opinion, almost certainly USMC manufactured. I have a nearly identical cover with the exception that mine does not make use of the brass tube as a bushing for the attachment hook. My cover has no markings of any kind.

The Marine Corps' Philadelphia Depot seemed to like using those sliding-jaw buckles on certain gear at certain times. Someone on this Forum has a hachet cover using that type buckle, and pick mattock covers and other gear of Marine manufacture can be found that use the same. This type pf buckle necessitated ( or permitted??? ) the use of the thin web tape used to secure the shovel in the cover. This tape continued in use on many Depot manufactured shovel covers even after they began using the cast brass buckles more familiar to collectors.

My estimate would be that shovel covers like yours were probably manufactured in the 1915-1917 time frame. The Marine Corps did not begin manufacture and usage of the "M1910" style pack system until 1915 according to Alec Tulkoff's most excellent research.

Since I have never seen a picture of Marines wearing the older style knapsack/haversacks that were in use before the adoption of the M1915 gear with shovels hanging from their belts, I conclude that there would have been no need for shovel covers with belt hooks until after the transition to the newer style pack which had a place to hang a shovel or other tool provided. I hope that conclusion isn't too much of a leap!

Contrary opinions are welcome. :unsure:

You have a very nice item there. If not incredibly rare, it is surely quite uncommon. Congrats!

Respectfully,

Terry ("Bagman")

Hello Terry,

Thank you very much for your reply. While I don't know as much about early US web equipment as I should (yet!) I believe both your deductions and results are logical. :thumbsup: Are there any good books or websites for WWI USMC equipment and history?

I would enjoy a photo of your similar shovel cover if you would be able to post it!

Thank you again for your reply and insight!

-Johannes

Hello Terry,

Thank you very much for your reply. While I don't know as much about early US web equipment as I should (yet!) I believe both your deductions and results are logical. :thumbsup: Are there any good books or websites for WWI USMC equipment and history?

I would enjoy a photo of your similar shovel cover if you would be able to post it!

Thank you again for your reply and insight!

-Johannes

Tulkoff's "Equiping the Corps" is a good book to start with.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I just ran across this thread and noticed that the shovel cover acquired by Johannes and noticed that there is a handwritten "7" inside a circle on the back. This must be significant in that my shovel cover of the same pattern has the exact same marking. Can anyone identify what it means?

post-3586-0-34154300-1483032646_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Schnicklfritz

Not being judgmental about the shovel cover either way, but I would like to ask what makes this particular version "USMC"? I've been trying to figure out what makes a particular USMC shovel cover from WW1 or before or a WW2 variation. I'm familiar with WW2 variations, but I have not seen any that could be positively dated to the WW1 era.... not that I see a lot of stuff! There are so many bad ones out there these days. I would also like to ask what other equipment that these slide buckles are used on other than leggings if you don't mind. Thanks!

• 2 months later...