Some civil war uniform items I picked up recently

Need to see some more civil war stuff on here. Here are a few items I have picked up in the last year. Civil War uniform material does not surface much here in Colorado. The Shell jacket, I found in Denver. The staff officers boards, a picker found for me here in Western Colorado however I believe the came out of Texas. The Shell jacket was made by John Boylan & Co out of Newark New Jersey. Don't recall if I have seen another from this maker. I have another in excellent condition from Rose of New York however I like this one as it appear to have been worn and looks its age ( a few moth holes) and some wear to the lining. Also the trim is almost orange. Oh howm, I wish this could be an dragoon jacket however I don't think its orange enough. The Boards are very nice with deep patina. They came together along with a prewar shoulder banjo board and a sword belt.

Terry

post-23325-1329121564.jpg

A great looking Cavalry shell jacket. The Staff Officer shoulder straps are very nice as well. CW stuff gets harder and harder to find.

Here is a photo of my 1st Sergeant Cavalry Jacket. Count the buttons on the front and the lack of pillows on the back and you will see that it is a depot made early variation.

CW_Cavalry_jacket.JPG

CW_Cav_jacket_back.JPG

CW_Cav_jacket_chevron.JPG

CW_Cav_jacket_belt_loop.JPG

Thats an awesome jacket with the first sargt patches and the belt straps. Exceptional. Do you display the jacket all the time like that. I was just wondering as I would like to display mine like that but the shoulder seems to be quite fragile in these from the number I have seen separating. Does your's have any stampings in it?

Terry

Terry,

Thanks for the kudos and yes, this shell jacket resides on this torso. I think keeping it on the torso more evenly distributes the weight and helps keep the seams from separation. Hangers are terrible for old CW cloth so storing them flat in archival paper is also a good option but you can't see them that way. The torso is the best option I have been able to come up with.

Yes, the jacket is depot and size marked in the shoulder and it was made as a 1st. Sergeant jacket with the chevrons sewn into the sleeve seams when it was manufactured. It does not seem to have ever had brass shoulder paddles attached to it.

BTW, I also have a set of interesting Militia Staff Lieutenant shoulder straps that I will show if I can get a good picture of them.

Terry,

Here are some pix of the Staff Officer shoulder straps. I have never seen another pair of Lieutenant straps like this so I presume them to be from a 1st Regiment of State Militia. I think they are Civil War period but they could be IW period I suppose. They are hand embroidered with a silk backing on the reverse.

CW_Staff_straps.JPG

CW_Staff_straps_back.JPG

Great pieces guys! Thank you for showing them. Cavalry shell jackets are becoming few and far between. I also wish more Civil War militaria would be shown on the Forum.

Dick

Sarge, nice boards, can't say I have seen the like before either. The militia's as you know had a crazy variety of uniform specs. I always liked the nightshirts style pullover that I believe Maryland went to war in. The Horse Soldier has a 83rd Pennsylvania Belgian style Uniform group that I would very much like to have. Wish I was rich. And lets no forget those Zouaves. What diversity!

Terry

• 1 year later...
riflegreen297

Terry and Sarge,

Fantastic jackets. Terry would it be possible to get a clear shot of the small buttons used on the collar and the large buttons down the middle?

Ron

Very nice items guys, thanks for sharing. I also appreciate Civil War items, but like you have said, they are pretty difficult to find anymore. I have an EM belt, cap box, minty bayonet and scabbard, a sword, minty NY contract canteen and this (1864 contract): I know it is not a uniform item but throught you might appreciate it. Forgive me if out of line-Kevin

post-21606-0-16893100-1384434640.jpg

Not out of line at all Kevin. An un-numbered Regimental drum if I am seeing it correctly. Is it contract dated on the heads or the body?

Killer drum and near complete. I'd be tickled to have that in my collection. If you look through the sound hole on the side sometimes you will see a maker label on the other side (inside the drum). Also sometimes the regimental number was scratched into the paint (in front of "Reg").

Thanks for posting. I believe its a regulation example.

Terry

Thanks guys, yes the label is pasted inside and visible through the vent hole. A Philadelphia maker. Has its original sheepskin heads and gut snare. The ropes I think might be original but missing the leather tension ears. Craig's list find if you can believe that, but not a typical Craig's list price. Kevin