1944 USN Rain Parka

hirsca

Picked this up last week at an estate sale. Nothing special, but the NXsx contract number ID's it to February 1944. Now, I was a Navy Officer and stood topside watches a JOOD and then OOD, but what the heck is EODTC? Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1328546869.jpg

Picked this up last week at an estate sale. Nothing special, but the NXsx contract number ID's it to February 1944. Now, I was a Navy Officer and stood topside watches a JOOD and then OOD, but what the heck is EODTC? Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1328546944.jpg

VirtualMariner

EOD Training Center? An educated guess, at best, but could be. I've never seen that designation, either. I suspect the "OD" part is not related to "Officer of the Deck", though.

You find a couple of uses that fit including Training Center and Training Complex, but the most likely one here is the The Naval Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technical Center, that was established in 1951 at the Stump Neck Annex.

Thanks to both of you for the info. It's no surprise they were still issuing WW2 gear then, and for many years after that. Thanks again, Al.

Thanks to both of you for the info. It's no surprise they were still issuing WW2 gear then, and for many years after that. Thanks again, Al.

Nice find Al.

I agree they were used for years.I have even seen them into the Viet nam era along with the bib trousers

RD

Nice find Al.

I agree they were used for years.I have even seen them into the Viet nam era along with the bib trousers

RD

Somewhere I have a photo of me wearing the whole set in the mid '70s on USS Bradley, FF-1041. The Navy never threw anything away as long as it was serviceable. it remained in use. I had a Girl Friend who was assigned to a E-2 squadron and was issued one of the M-41 looking jackets.

Steve Hesson

Somewhere I have a photo of me wearing the whole set in the mid '70s on USS Bradley, FF-1041. The Navy never threw anything away as long as it was serviceable. it remained in use. I had a Girl Friend who was assigned to a E-2 squadron and was issued one of the M-41 looking jackets.

Steve Hesson

Thanks Steve. Love to see the photo (of your girlfriend, that is :naughty:). We had them on our ship also. So I guess shore units (EODTC) were issued the same gear? Thanks again, Al.

• 2 years later...

Well, it's been almost 3 years since I originally posted this, and look what I found today at an estate sale. The bib pants are dated a little earlier--late 1943, but the construction looks similar. TALON zipper. I'm including some pictures for authenticity confirmation. More pics to follow. Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-56240200-1421962114.jpg

post-12790-0-95049200-1421962142.jpg

Really nice stuff, Al! How much of this stuff was used up in the surplus market, used on construction jobs, etc., etc...

Flage'

I wonder the same thing how much got used up. Around here I'm sure a lot of it got used for ice fishing and general construction work as you say. I know my father used to wear the Navy deck jackets back in the fifties and early sixties when he was a young man and working construction. He always thought they were such a great jacket and they were extremely warm and relatively cheap at the area surplus store. I recently picked up a grouping to a navy doctor and while going through some bags of trash they had set aside in the attic I found a set of Hbt shirt and trousers as well as the foul weather gear. I couldn't believe they had sacked all this up and was going to throw it out as they had sold some other things and these were in really nice condition showing little or no wear at all maybe just some storage staining.

I had 5 uncles who fought in the PTO. I remember what I know to be HBTsvand khakis worn around the farm for years. My dad gave them all hid dungarees when he went to the AF and then all his 1950svAF fatigues and khakis went to the farm when he went back to the Navy. Foul Weather jackets and resign gear was in ample supply along with old PATCHED field jackets and boots. I hauled a sea bag full of this WW2 Navy rain gear to Iowa to turn over to my cousins that were still farming in the late 70s

Ron-

Yeah, you said it! My Dad had a Navy Rain Suit for our construction work almost identical to the one we're talking about, except the Parka is made of the slick-surfaced stuff, which I think is later. I still have it; most of the modern yellow suits they sell these days last about 3 wearings, but our old one is many decades old, and still usable. We used to wear the "N-1" knock-offs all the time, and the real ones showed up on jobs as well. Great Jackets; I have 3 real ones and 1 "civie" for old times' sake.

I forgot that I have a Suit which is identical to Al's, and has the guy's scribblings of where he's been inside the hood...pics upcoming.

Thanks for the contract info thread, Doyler. I wore out two sets of these up on telephone pole when I used to climb back in the 70's. Creosote didn't react on them like it did the commercial rain gear available then.

Thanks for the comments guys. I do have a question: While I was researching the pants, I saw two different types of cuff closures. The drawstring type like mine and another with a strap (and buckle?). Is the drawstring type earlier, or vice versa? Thanks again, Al.

Thanks for the comments guys. I do have a question: While I was researching the pants, I saw two different types of cuff closures. The drawstring type like mine and another with a strap (and buckle?). Is the drawstring type earlier, or vice versa? Thanks again, Al.

Any comments on the two different types of cuff closures? Thanks, Al.