Collecting on a Budget

gwb123

I've been kicking this thought around for awhile.

Every now and then someone will vent about the high price of militaria, and that the low budget collector is simply pushed out of being able to build any kind of collection.

That all depends on your perspective.

If your one and only interest is hand painted leather WWII squadron patches, you are going to be spending some significant money. There is no way around it.

But if you are just looking for something as a hobby to spend your idle time, there are still lots of interesting categories out there.

I'd like to propose a few... (and if anyone has any others, feel free to add).

Desert Storm... Operation Enduring Freedom... Operation Iraqi Freedom....

This has actually been discussed on various threads, but it just seems odd that people shy away from collecting material from the present conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

And yet this is probably the best time to be picking these items up... with a lot of it coming directly from the vets.

Depending where you are looking, theater made patches can be had for between $4.95 to $15.00 each.

Desert uniforms, fully patched, can be found between $15 to $45. The example shown below sold for $18 plus shipping on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Desert-Storm-Era-U...=item19cc735d5f

If you take your time, and shop around, you can build a decent collection in a short amount of time and stay well within a limited budget.

And to make it even more convenient, we even have folks selling these items right here on this Forum.

There is competition out there already, as evidenced by our brethern forum... http://oefoif.forumotion.net/

But right now the supply is out there and priced right. These items are not going to get any cheaper.

ZZ_set_2.jpg

Desert_Storm.jpg

Civil Air Patrol....

Okay, so this may not be a sexy as flying bombers over Germany. But keep in mind CAP units have existed since WWII when some of them on the coast kept watch for U-Boats.

Add in pilot training, search and rescue, disaster relief, and flying missions for Homeland Security....

CAP patches have a colorful history, and I've noticed there has recently been a book published on the subject. So there is plenty here to keep one busy.

Patches look to be available on eBay ranging from 99 cents to $20 opening bid.

One caution... it seems that some of the harder to find patches are actually being copied for collectors in the Philippines!

Photo source: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Civil-Air-Pat...=item4ab3b2e0bb

CAP_Alaska.jpg

US Air Force patches...

Okay... I will probably regret this example. USAF patches can be fun, but also quite maddening as well. While there seems to be a finite number of US Army patches, the Air Force seems to breed new patches on an hourly basis.

I think the key is to focus... specific unit, airbase, time frame, conflict, type of aircraft, etc.

In the photo you see below is my humble collection of 432nd Wing patches. Through it's history it has been a Fighter Wing, a Fighter Reconnaisance Wing, a Drone Wing, an Operations Group, an Expidtionary Wing, and who knows what else.

Most of the patches you see here were purchased for less than $10 each. The most expensive ones were the very old Drone Wing ($25), and the Vietnam era Fighter Wing patches ($25 and $45). Admittedly the price of those things drove up the value of the group, but the point remains that one can build an interesting collection for a relatively low amount of money.

432ND__5_send.jpg

USAF patches, again...

If you are looking for variety, consider USAF pilot training class patches.

Bright, colorful, normally irreverant, and some of them so obscene we will not be showing them on the Forum.

These examples came from eBay and were listed for $4.96 to $6.00, often listed as Buy It Now items.

Pilot_training_2..jpg

Pilot_training_3.jpg

Pilot_training..jpg

Home Front items...

Not everybody went off to war, but those who remained behind were surrounded by posters, pins, sweetheart jewelry, etc. to remind them of the conflict and their loved ones far away.

I'll caveat this one by saying that some items do bring some high dollar bids, but there are still plenty of pieces of memorabilia that can found without spending half a paycheck.

The mini "sons in service flag" is currently on eBay with an opening bid of $8.95.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1940s-WW2-...=item43ad0b1574

The USMC pin went UNSOLD on eBay for $9.99.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/wwii-usmc-marine-c...=item256c073291

Homefront.jpg

Homefront_2.jpg

Civil Defense...

Before there was Homeland Security, there was Civil Defense.

Depending where you lived, there were block wardens, with black out drills and air raid practice. At it's wartime height, the civilian populace was organized to meet the coming threat. In seriousness, many of the Civil Defense practices were based on the hard lessons learned by our British Allies during the Blitz.

And this did not end with WWII...CD was right there with us up through the 60's with duck and cover drills in school and mysterious shelters hidden away in the bottom of public buildings.

So depending if you are defending against a sudden appearance of the Luftwaffe from their mysterious arctic bases, or inbound Soviet missiles, your Civil Defense collection can span decades.

Currently there are 903 items listed on eBay under Civil Defense.

The CD armband from San Diego went unsold on eBay for a starting bid of $3.99.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/San-Diego-Californ...=item3a6fd02514

And those iconic yellow radiation meters can be found not only on eBay, but refurbished and fully functional on the internet.

Civild_Defense_Pam_1.JPG

Civild_Defense_Pam_2.JPG

CD_1.jpg

cdv715_new.jpg

Reference books....

So if the dollars are tight, maybe the smart thing with your available dollars to do is to build your library of reference material.

There is a trend with current publishers to offer high quality books with high pricetags. $45 to $75 is not uncommon. After a few of these, it is quite possible that your library may be worth more than your collection.

But if you shop around, there are less expensive books out there as well. And when you get back into the collecting swing, you'd be surprised how often you look back at your basic references.

Jim McDuff's book on Vietnam insignia is an example. Although it is in black and white, it is still one of the best references available on the topic and can often be found for about $20. The same for the Osprey Men at Arms series, a good set of books for someone starting fresh in a new area of collecting.

One tip... before bidding on anything on eBay, check Amazon.com to see if there are more competitive prices.

McDuff_VN_Cover_small.jpg

War_in_Laos_cover.JPG

US Government Photos...

Here is something you can collect for free!

Photos appearing on US Government websites are public domain (unless they are marked that that they are from a commercial source such as MSNBC or Reuters, etc.)

All of the military services have websites with photos available, often captioned. With enough filespace available, one could build quite the reference library.

Although these are public domain, it is considered a courtesy to the photographer to post their name when they are used on a website or other use.

Here are some photos I posted on the Forum during the recovery efforts from the Tsunami in Japan last year. Please see that thread for photo credits.

3.12.11_USS_Blue_Ridge_Departs.JPG

3.12.11_airlift_2.jpg

3.14.11_Damage_assessment.jpg

3.16.11_Black_knights_8.jpg

As I said, these are just some suggestions.

Of course, with any collecting category, the rarest and most unusual items may still bring a stiff pricetag. But there is plenty of room on these to build a large and significant collection without breaking the bank.

If anyone else has any favorites, please add them to the thread.

There are also lots of the common DIs that are relatively cheap.

Collar discs and rank insignias as well as officers branch and rank.

Subdued patches are another inexpensive area.

(Photos from eBay listings)

post-1506-1329019215.jpg

post-1506-1329019592.jpg

post-1506-1329019610.jpg

Desert Storm... Operation Enduring Freedom... Operation Iraqi Freedom.... SHHHHHH!!!!!!!! You just let my secret out!!! :lol: In all seriousness, very good suggestions. To be honest, I do believe a lot more collectors than we think are snapping up the OEF/OIF items.

BigDogMilitaria

I think there is a lot of stuff still to be found at garage sales and estate sales. That is where i get almost all of my stuff. I have an idea in my head of what I will pay of items and what I wont. I have a small amount of money budgeted out of my paychecks to take with me in my travels from week to week. I have a very small number of items i have paid top dollar for. But, 99% of what I have comes from my weekly snooping around. And I absolutely love everything I have.

The most ive ever spent on a WWII uniform at an estate sale, $45. A helmet, $75 and that turned out to be a Hawley.

Good thread Gil! Can I throw NG patches into the mix? I collected full-color examples of all 50 states. Most averaged just $3 a piece. That could be expanded by adding OD and DCU subdued versions of each one too.

Photos from eBay vendor dandcoll.

post-1506-1329020396.jpg

post-1506-1329020437.jpg

Corpsmancollector

Great thread Gil, this will be really helpful to younger and beginner collectors :thumbsup:

I'd agree with Ron, subdued patches is a really good inexpensive area to focus on or perhaps different types of BOS/Name tapes? Some 'theatre made' examples may command higher prices but in my experience even Vietnamese made tapes can be bought for $15-20 with other more recent examples ranging form $2-10.

Will

(From Gil: Photos from eBay. The large lot is available with a Buy it Now price of $10.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-ARMY-TAPES-LOT-...=item1e5d1af72a

Name and Branch of Service tapes are a good way to become familiar with the wide variety of embroidery styles.)

post-1506-1329023146.jpg

post-1506-1329023178.jpg

Gil, nice thread and plenty of food for thought. As new collectors (myself included in this), we try to buy everything military and soon realize we are spending alot of money on items we really do not like. FOCUS and PATIENCE are the keys in my opinion. Depending on where you live, what you collect may be easier to determine.

Instead of being a "random" collector (accumulator), try to focus in a general area and then specialize in that. After time, your focus may change, but you will have enjoyed what you have done to that point.

Study your area and NETWORK! Get to know and deal with other collectors in your area of interest. "Pick" the brains of those other collectors and absorb their knowledge. Everything you learn from them may not be what you should do, but what you should not do!

Attend local shows / gatherings! The admission fee will be worth the knowledge you will gain from seeing, touching, discussing items. Do not try to impress people with your "knowledge". I rarely give my opinion on items unless asked. DO NOT ARGUE with dealers, other collectors, OR others you meet. If you get the urge to throw your two cents in, it is probably best to walk away instead.

No matter what, remember this is suppose to be FUN! Relax and enjoy! If the price is right (in your opinion) and you like it or know someone else that will, go for it.

I started collecting U.S. medals. After awhile I had the basic stuff, but the big dollar items scared me away. So, instead of spending $100 or more on one medal, I went on to buying 50 patches or more for $100.

Suggested collecting areas:

bdu patches

bdu cloth insignia

dcu patches

dcu cloth insignia

USN ship tabs

Specialize on an area of colored patches: Infantry Divisions; Military Police; Engineers; etc

Johnny Signor

When I used to collect patches years ago , what I would do to help keep costs down was I would find cheap patches I knew others were wanting and I'd buy them and then swap them off for ones I needed, I found a lot of good ones cheap that at times I could get two for my one, even a one for one swap was good as the cost was cheaper . Same thing goes for other collectables , if you know what another person is looking for you can sometimes work swaps for what each other wants say clothing for patches or medals for helmets etc . Or if you get around to the militaria shows , pick up stuff you know the regular dealers are wanting and sell to them or work swaps with them for what you want ,I've done this too .

Johnny

foreign surplus & militaria / non US militaria

Ive found lots of foreign combat helmets dirt cheap, since some people dont want it if it's not US militaria

Iraqi war, Arab - Israeli wars , the Wars in Yugoslavia , Bosnia

Cool thread :thumbsup:

Epherma also seems to be under appreciated/low cost from most eras, post Civil War.

The only thing is preservation can be a nightmare. :pinch:

(Photos from eBay and from this Forum)

post-1506-1329023586.jpg

post-1506-1329023707.jpg

foreign surplus & militaria / non US militaria

Ive found lots of foreign combat helmets dirt cheap, since some people dont want it if it's not US militaria

Iraqi war, Arab - Israeli wars , the Wars in Yugoslavia , Bosnia

LOL! I agree. And with eBay you can find tons of it. I once considered collecting Israeli formation badges at one time as there are now plenty on the market.

However, I did write this from the point of view of US Militiaria! But I agree, if you branch into foreign items (outside of WWII) you can build some really cool collections and still maintain a budget.

Another interesting area would be NEWSPAPER PRESS PHOTOS.

The following were on eBay for $9.99 each opening bid.

(From Gil: One nice thing about press photos is if you miss them on one auction, you will sometimes find the identical photo on a later auction. However, beware that the quality can vary depending on the equipment that was used to receive and print the "wire photo".)

post-1506-1329022006.jpg

post-1506-1329022025.jpg

Glenn_Janssens

Collecting photographs can also be budget friendly.

And patches of all kinds offcourse.

Some deathcards...