Killed in Action 44 years ago today Khe Sanh

devildog34

FANTASTIC grouping. The fingerprints on the pages of his green log book...you don't get much more of a historical connection to an individual than that. Thanks for sharing this great grouping. Semper Fi.

Thanks much for posting this grouping!!!

At least someone is keeping the men that were there memory alive.

One of my very good friends(Bobby) happened to be there at the same time. I hope you do not mind me posting some pictures that kind of go along with all the story tells.

Terry

1st pic was taken 22-23 Jan 1968 while under rocket attack.

It reads,

Marine history, 1307 rocket rounds in(coming) one day.

post-629-1334858040.jpg

This is a pic of Bobby and a buddy at Khe Sahn 1968.

We called him the "Great White Buffalo" because of his light blond hair.

I have a few more of his pics but many were destroyed in a house fire in 1986. Most were from Khe Sahn and Da Nang, along with a couple from R & R.

When he came home, just before he left Khe Sahn he went and stood in a mud puddle and got them full of the red mud then after they dried he packed them away and brought them home with him. I ended up with his pics and a mess o 45 parts, my other buddy got the boots and wore them out. Boy I wish I would have got them and kept them.

post-629-1334859405.jpg

• 9 months later...

45 years ago today, Sgt. Ornelas died defending a miserable red-clayed, mist-covered valley 13,000 miles from his Kansas home. It is eerie to think that this purple heart could very easily have bore the name of a man who exactly 10 years to the day after the siege of Khe Sanh began became a father. That man I am honored to call my father, a veteran of Lima Company 3/26 who survived the 77-day siege of Khe Sanh. Looking at this purple heart is a constant reminder to me of the lives that were forever changed and those that would never be because young men like Carl were and are willing to give their all for their fellow Marines. God speed and Semper Fidelis, you are remembered and honored on this poignant day.

This image is close to the airstrip where Carl was killed. In the distance is the FSSG position where he left parallel to the airstrip when he was killed.

post-2182-0-56423300-1360132797.jpg

Trench system at Khe Sanh that linked the entire base. These trenches connected the living trenches which were reinforced with the Marsten metal matting and sand bags.

post-2182-0-66621400-1360133480.jpg

Some shots along the airstrip as NVA rounds are coming in. You can see the hastily discarded fork lift which undoubtedly Ornelas used as chief ammo tech. The C-130 is making a LAPES drop (low altitude parachute extraction)

post-2182-0-37158700-1360200756.jpg

post-2182-0-37004800-1360200767.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm a day late on this one but wanted to honor Sgt Ornelas on this 48th anniversary of his unbelievable sacrifice atop of that red-clayed patch of real estate 13,000 miles from his beloved Kansas. Semper Fi

I was in Afghanistan when this was originally posted, but never too late. Another outstanding tribute, Kevin, well researched and presented with a close personal link to your family history. That always makes for an even more personal connection to the veteran. I myself have a KIA Vietnam group to a Marine from G/2/9, the company I was plankboard in when we reactivated in 2007. Because of that connection, I feel very connected with it