• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Cain

Gary Cain
  • Members
    • Member ID: 96
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:11 PM

I had this walk in the other day and was wondeing what people knew about these. I have to do some serious cleaning as you can see but it is in workable condition otherwise. The carrier is quite neat and i believe is for use in an aircraft. The patent date is 1-13-31.

Cheers!
Gary

Attached Images

• sedgley_pistol.JPG

#2 Gary Cain

Gary Cain
  • Members
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:12 PM

I had this walk in the other day and was wondeing what people knew about these. I have to do some serious cleaning as you can see but it is in workable condition otherwise. The carrier is quite neat and i believe is for use in an aircraft. The patent date is 1-13-31.
Cheers!
Gary

Attached Images

• pistol_carrier.JPG

#3 Gary Cain

Gary Cain
  • Members
  • 1,651 posts

Attached Images

• bbl_marking.JPG

#4 Gary Cain

Gary Cain
  • Members
  • 1,651 posts

Attached Images

• grip_marking.JPG

#5 Brian Keith

Brian Keith
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,549
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:15 AM

I don't have my flare gun references at hand but I believe it is more likely that is a maritime carrier, probably not USN. Aircraft flair gun carriers usually are such that it can't come loose by erratic aircraft maneuvers, this was probably stowed inside a life boat with other survival gear. The earlier 37mm Sedgley's are harder to find. I'll try to look up that model later. It does have condition problems but many maritime items do.
I did a flair projector exhibit a couple of years ago, there are a ton of varieties out there, and there really inexpensive compared to real firearms.
I like it. With careful clean up it will display really nicely.
BKW

#6 copdoc

copdoc
  • Members
    • Member ID: 498
  • 494 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:45 PM

Nice piece to have especially with the holster.

There were a few MkIVs in 37mm bought by the USN and in those the S is replaced by a USN. Some post war surplus ones have the U and N scratched out. The most common military one was the USN MkV 10 gauge. There are many variations and barrel lengths of these. Some are made for line throwing or tear gas, some with or without trigger guards and or shoulder stocks. Some had screw in barrels but most had the latch release. Look in Gunner Swearengen's book on tear gas weapons and in a Gun Collector's digest from the 80s and you will find a lot of information. I look up the exact edition if you are interested. I have a 37mm marked Standard Shiping. I would would love to have a 37mm USN marked one, but they are pretty scarce. The 10 gauges USN seem to be the most plentiful ones around here. I have never seen one with a shoulder stock or line reel for sale.

Note the 37mm round for most of these is not the same as the Lake Erie/Tru Flite 37mm, Federal 37/38mm or the M8 round. Some are interchangable one way but not the other. That is a long topic on all the various 37/38/M8/40mm cartridges.

How about putting a pic on the pyro thread. There are a lot of nice flare guns on it.

#7 Brian Keith

Brian Keith
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,549
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:49 PM

This is a pre-WW II commercial produced flair gun, while used during WW II by Merchant Shipping, it is not a normal US issue item, but it is a pretty good flair gun.
BKW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users