m1967 Davis Belt Experimental ???

gimp

Hello,

i got an option to buy this belt...

is this an experimental davis belt ?

this belt comes in a plastic bag like the erdl boonie hats and should be mint.

the fabric is nylon and the davis buckle is without markings.

any opinions ?

regards

post-6590-1327865396.jpg

craig_pickrall

If the Davis buckle isn't marked I suspect it is Asian manufacture. The real ones have a logo and patten number on them.

The keepers seem to be ribbed and look like WWII pattern not like the ones used on M-1956 and later belts.

The canvas material also looks a bit strange, seems to be thinner that the 2nd pattern M-1956 belts. :think:

I have seen Davis Buckles with just an small US stamp and / or a stamped windmill but I´m not 100% sure atm - I have to check my belts.

post-5069-1327956310.jpg

craig_pickrall

Is there any explanation for the large ink stamp across the back of the belt?

One major point not mentioned so far is the lack of equipment and adjustment grommets across the back of the belt. The adjustment grommets are not needed along the total belt length but the equipment gromments are needed.

These photos are the standard M67 Nylon Belts with both Davis buckle abd the ball keeper buckle. The belts are the same except for the buckles and they are easily switched or replaced. You can compare the difference with what was posted.

post-5-1327958917.jpg

post-5-1327958924.jpg

post-5-1327958934.jpg

craig_pickrall

This is a Japanese made copy of an M1936 Pistol belt that also has an unmarked repro Davis type buckle.

post-5-1327959880.jpg

post-5-1327959890.jpg

post-5-1327959898.jpg

I even seen orginal M-67 nylon belts without any markings at the davis buckle!

But the mentioned belt above looks more like fashion for me?

Mike

I even seen orginal M-67 nylon belts without any markings at the davis buckle!

If a Davis buckle is unmarked then I would immediately suspect reproduction.

According to the military specifications only two manufacturers were allowed to manufacture the buckle. Davis Aircraft and Hollander Metal Products [their logo is the windmill]. Both were very steadfast in stamping their buckles. Even the replacement Davis buckles [packaged alone], for replacing broken buckles, were stamped with either Davis or Hollander's logos.

I, like Craig, have seen the gambit of Asian-manufactured aluminum, as well as plastic, reproduction Davis buckles. I have even found them on genuine USGI belts...possibly replaced at the surplus store level, etc.

The few experimental belts with the Davis buckle [such as the LC-2 test belts] that I have personally seen have all had Davis logo marked buckles.

The Hollander Metal buckles normally seem to appear on the Lightweight Rucksack waist belt and the standardized M-1967 LLCE individual equipment belt. Although I have seen, infrequently, the Hollander manufactured buckles on all types of M-1956 and Limited Procurement Type LLCE individual equipment belts.

Thanks for the plug Sabrejet.

The keepers seem to be ribbed and look like WWII pattern not like the ones used on M-1956 and later belts.

I forgot to render my opinion on the individual equipment belt that gimp has asked about. Constabulary pointed out one of the most obvious problems with the individual equipment belt...the belt/strap keepers. Good call.

They are earlier pre-M-1956 style. The M-1956 and later nylon equipment brass belt/strap keepers have three-slots that slid easier over the grommets. Just an FYI, the M-1972, LC-1 and LC-2 individual equipment belts have the two-slot belt/strap keepers - something that collectors should be aware of, as I have seen the two-slot belt/strap keepers "retroactively" put on M-1956 belts [usually due to the original belt/strap keepers being damaged or such].

The individual equipment belt in question is definately a bad copy of a M-1956 individual equipment belt with a copy of the Davis buckle on it.

I have images of all test individual equipment belts trialed after the adoption of the M-1956 ILCE and none of them look anything like the individual equipment belt pictured above.

Here is a really funny ePay auction. Despite all of the seller's conjecture about the belt being Second World War and of Dutch manufacture the belt is actually a standardized M-1967 individual equipment belt with a Davis buckle manufactured by Hollander Metal Products. You have to love someone that is absolutely clueless but tries to sound like they know something about military equipments! Talk about trying to fit a square peg!

Here is a link to the auction:

WW II US PISTOL OR REVOLVER WEB BELT 46 INCH WEB BELT NETHERLANDS MANUFACTURE

@ Gimp

bad fake - even then eyelets are installed wrong, seems the distance between them is to small :thumbdown:

In will dig in my "fake-reference box" I may have something similar.

• 9 years later...