Thanksgiving Dinner menu for the 504 PIR 1st Battalion

Bones

Picked this menu up last summer at an auction. The previous owner had lots of stuff. This was probably the best piece. It was the only Airborne stuff there. First here is the front cover.

post-736-1197937701.jpg

This was when they were stationed at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. It is dated November 26, 1942. This unit was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division in August of 1942. We all know what the 82nd did in WW2.

post-736-1197938025.jpg

Here is a sample of the roster for Headquarters Company of the 1st Battalion of the 504th PIR. The rosters for A, B, & C Company are also listed in rank order. Keep in mind this is before they went overseas. I wonder how many of these men survived.

post-736-1197938164.jpg

I had a freind that was in B co. Charley Nau, he was wounded 3 times and recieved the D.S.C., I asked him how many origional guys from his company were still present at the end of the war, he said about six or seven!!

You have probably read devils in baggy pants by ross carter, he should be listed with C company.

I believe he was detached to the 508th as a cadre for a little while but didn't like the chicken s@#%t that he saw and returned to the 504, it hurt when he told me that because I was in the 508th when he told me about it in the early 80's