• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 trenchbuff

trenchbuff
  • Members
    • Member ID: 944
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

I picked up this ega today. It's approximately 1 1/4" tall and very detailed, but not a typical cap or collar device. It has a u-shape catch and is hallmarked HJ Sterling. I have an Navy Officer device by this same maker and of similar construction which came off a garrison cap. I've also seen the HJ hallmark on sweetheart jewelry, but none of it was this well made or this detailed. Could Marines have gotten away with wearing this on a garrison cap? Any opinions?

Attached Images

• 001.JPG
  • 002.JPG

#2 Fly USMC

Fly USMC
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,056
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

I like this variation. I have one just like it.

Believe that is a sweetheart pin, but I have been wrong before.

#3 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,550 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:35 AM

Could Marines have gotten away with wearing this on a garrison cap? Any opinions?

Anyone who tried would have been called out by the Sgt Major! These were indeed made for the "sweetheart" market as Fly has indicated...

#4 trenchbuff

trenchbuff
  • Members
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:04 AM

Anyone who tried would have been called out by the Sgt Major! These were indeed made for the "sweetheart" market as Fly has indicated...

I'm sure you're right...in most cases. But I love to challenge conventional wisdom and I would be willing to bet some Marine out there put one of these on an overseas cap when the Sgt Major wasn't around or was a little too senior for him to call out. A case in point is the famous photo of General Doyen and his full length fur coat. I doubt that was an authorized uniform item, but I doubt anyone questioned him about it.

#5 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,550 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

... A case in point is the famous photo of General Doyen and his full length fur coat. I doubt that was an authorized uniform item, but I doubt anyone questioned him about it.

He simply had not run into a Sgt. Maj. yet.... :evilgrin:

#6 trenchbuff

trenchbuff
  • Members
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

He simply had not run into a Sgt. Maj. yet.... :evilgrin:

Very true! I spent all my time in the Navy and they scared me to death!

#7 Jack's Son

Jack's Son

Deceased

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 8,213
  • 19,660 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:57 AM

It's a very good quality, do you think this was a production piece, or perhaps the Marine had it made himself? OR.....Herself!! :lol:

#8 trenchbuff

trenchbuff
  • Members
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:05 AM

It's a very good quality, do you think this was a production piece, or perhaps the Marine had it made himself? OR.....Herself!! :lol:

Production I'm pretty sure since I've seen the HJ hallmark on several other pieces. They did very nice work!

#9 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,550 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

Production I'm pretty sure since I've seen the HJ hallmark on several other pieces. They did very nice work!

I recall reading about H.J. Sanders Co. being the maker of these pins. They were much more into the aviation sweetheart and such, than making service emblem or insignia lookalikes.

#10 trenchbuff

trenchbuff
  • Members
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

I recall reading about H.J. Sanders Co. being the maker of these pins. They were much more into the aviation sweetheart and such, than making service emblem or insignia lookalikes.

Makes sense. Thanks for putting a name to the hallmark.

#11 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:23 AM

I have a few USMC sweetheart pieces with the HJ marking, including this one. definately sweetheart!

#12 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,550 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users