AAFES Pogs

Guest fire90man

Guest fire90man

Hi everyone I,m new to the sight and I dont know if this is brought up some were else, but I was woundering if anyone knows of a sight were they trade/sell the AAFES pogs. My son just came back from Iraq and for Christmas he gave me about 850 pogs.

I would like to eventually complet the series for each year.Then save it for him till he's old ( like me ) so he can look back on them and remember when he was making a differance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

eBay often sells these. Another trick is to call a military exchange, if you happen to be near one, and ask them to hold any for you that they get. Then you can just swap out coins for them at face value

In case our other members dont know what these are.... :D

What in the world is a Pog?

The origin of the pog can be traced back to the 1920s in Hawaii. A local fruit drink company bottled its product in glass bottles similar to old-fashioned milk bottles. The bottles were sealed with wax-covered paper disks. The company put different pictures on the disks. The juice was a combination of passion, orange and guava fruit -- hence the name POG. It was the children playing games with the disks that gave them the name.

Why does AAFES use pogs?

Due to military operations in foreign regions it must dedicate its shipments to necessary equipment, hardware and supplies. Metal coins weigh a lot more than these pogs. Both of these problems are solved by using paper currency in the place of metal coins.

In foreign operations, AAFES must rely on military finance for currency used in its store. The military will not provide coins in foreign theater operations due to the weight of the coins and other mission priorities. Thus, the only way to provide change was to develop POGS in 5, 10 and 25-cent denominations.

The paper discs are accepted in all AAFES Exchanges around the world. Since the release of pogs in 2001, each POG has been given a distinctive military image on at least one side. The paper discs have generally been well received and have even become collectors' items. A quick Internet search reveals that several Internet auction sites regularly put AAFES POGS up for bid.

Currently, there are seven series of AAFES pogs (five in print). The first was simply the specific denomination as the design. In 2002, AAFES began issuing pogs with illustrations on them, such as aircraft, rockets and service members in action. Pogs issued in 2003 have the year stamped on them, while those made in 2002 do not. Each denomination has 13 different designs.

Although POGS are used for 5, 10 and 25-cent denominations, it is not cost effective to produce penny POGS. As in Europe and the Pacific, where pennies are not available, AAFES (as mandated by the Army) applies a rounding policy. Once purchases are totaled, AAFES rounds up prices of 3 or 4 cents and rounds down 1 and 2 cent totals. For example, if a purchase is $9.23, the customer gets $9.25 in change. If the total is $9.22, the customer gets change for $9.20.

Although AAFES officials say they never intended for the pogs to become a collectors item, that is exactly what has happened. Servicemembers are saving the cardboard circles as souvenirs of their tours of duty or as additions to their personal collections of military memorabilia.

See this previous thread on AAFES Pogs at:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...ic=6388&hl=

I've acquired several hundred since this summer by, as Brig suggests, asking AAFES stores to sell them to me at face value. Still have a few holes of earlier and 2007 pogs and am interested in trading. I'll try to post a few of my traders. Kevin

I ran across this at the PX today, a 2008 AAFES Calender that features the winning images of the 2006 POG contest (a printing error on the back if the calender says 1996) -

post-146-1197933985.jpg

Guest fire90man

I'm trying to scan the extra AAFES pogs I have onto this sight but I have to figure out how to use less then the MAX 150k for pic,s. ( I'm not very computer savy)

But I can tell you I have extras in all the 9th and 8th series. With very few of the 10th and less in earlyer years.

I need some from the 6th & 7th series and most from anyting earlyer.

• 1 year later...
shane-mckinnnon

Hey guys. Don't know if anyone's still interested but I'm lookin' to buy or trade AAFEES pogs. Please let me know if any of you are still interested. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

If anyone is currently collecting AAFES Pogs, I would love to trade or purchase. I need alot of the 2nd through 6th series. I am reset for deployment (Again) to Afghanistan in the spring of 11 and would be willing to send them to you from the source. I also have alot of dups from earlier series that I would be willing to trade. Please let me know.

Ugh, pogs! I am certain that AAFES lies about why they use them. AAFES is well suspected of taking Soldiers' money. Rounding out the totals to a 5 cents range is just another way to squeeze a few more pennies out of each sale. A buddy of mine tried to use his at the AAFES when we returned to the States and the person at the register said "We don't honor those." :blink: Great, thanks AAFES! :blink:

Dave

Hey guys. Don't know if anyone's still interested but I'm lookin' to buy or trade AAFEES pogs. Please let me know if any of you are still interested. Thanks.

If you are still interested, I have some pogs to trade. Let me know.

Jason

• 4 months later...
If anyone is currently collecting AAFES Pogs, I would love to trade or purchase. I need alot of the 2nd through 6th series. I am reset for deployment (Again) to Afghanistan in the spring of 11 and would be willing to send them to you from the source. I also have alot of dups from earlier series that I would be willing to trade. Please let me know.

I do have duplicates of the 4th and fifth series. Not full sets. But some and I am interested in getting more from the source or to trade. If you are interested still let me know.

Ric

Any one else interested in trade or to sell let me know please