Disabled American Veterans

KevinBeyer

I recently purchased what I believe to be a membership badge for the Disabled American Veterans (DAV).

The DAV was founded on September 25, 1920, following the Great War. A detailed summary of their history can be found on their official webiste :History of the Disabled American Veterans

DAVMembership.jpg

I believe the solid blue ribbon to be correct. Although, I have seen examples in which the ribbon was different. Any information in regards to this would be greatly appreciated.

I have yet to see an officer's membership badge for this organization. Does anyone have an example they can post?

Kevin

• 1 month later...

I have added another Disabled American Veterans membership badge to my collection. It is a Past Commanders badge. The ribbon is a little rough, but it is still quite appealing.

DAVPastCommander.jpg

Kevin

I have also recently added several reunion badges for the Disabled American Veterans. Here is a collage I put together. If anyone has any of these just lying around, let me know. I would be happy to add them to this grouping.

DAVLot.jpg

Kevin

Kevin,

I just came across a disabled veteran's group that I had never heard of before in the latest issue of The Company of Military Historians journal, "Military Collector & Historian." It is called the "Silent Army Deaf Soldiers, Sailors and Marines."

Have you ever heard of this group? It seems that the "Silent Army" was a group of deaf Civil War soldiers. The journal shows correspondence from the Silent Army dating from 1894. The letterhead lists several officers and addresses but the President was A.G.P. Brown late Capt 24th NY Cavalry, 362 Bergen Street, Brooklyn, NY.

I have never heard of this disabled veteran group or seen anything from them.

• 2 weeks later...
Kevin,

I just came across a disabled veteran's group that I had never heard of before in the latest issue of The Company of Military Historians journal, "Military Collector & Historian." It is called the "Silent Army Deaf Soldiers, Sailors and Marines."

Have you ever heard of this group? It seems that the "Silent Army" was a group of deaf Civil War soldiers. The journal shows correspondence from the Silent Army dating from 1894. The letterhead lists several officers and addresses but the President was A.G.P. Brown late Capt 24th NY Cavalry, 362 Bergen Street, Brooklyn, NY.

I have never heard of this disabled veteran group or seen anything from them.

Sarge,

I was able to find the following obituary that sheds some light on the Silent Army of Deaf Soldiers, Sailors and Marines:

Capt. Allen G. P. Brown died on Saturday at his home, 382 Bergen Street, Brooklyn. He was born in Oswego County in 1840 and when the civil war broke out enlisted in the Eighty-first New York Volunteers as a drummer. He afterward became a private, and rose to be a Captain in the Twenty-fourth Cavalry. He received an appointment in the Custom House after the war, and removed to Brooklyn. Wounds received in the civil war brought on deafness, and he interested himself in founding the Silent Army of Deaf Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines, consisting of veterans who were in the same plight with himself as a result of wounds received in battle. He was President of the society when he died.

Thank you for bringing this veterans' organization to light! I had not heard of them before. I am sure there is some very interesting research potential with this one!

Kevin

Kevin,

Great information on this heretofore (to me anyway) unknown Civil War veterans group. It seems that the deafness had to be combat related to wounds received in battle. Sort of like Brothers of the Battlefield whose members had to be so many days under fire.

Thanks,

George

First off, great thread! I really didn't realize that the DAV have been around so long! And, also, what an interesting note about the Silent Army Deaf Soldiers, Sailors and Marines. I would assume, given the period, that they had medals for members and the like. Would be interesting to come across some of that stuff.

I will look forward to updates on this thread, as it is quite fascinating.

How many of you knew the Disney Studio designed an emblem for the organization? Here's a link to the post in the Disney forum:

Disneydave,

I had no idea that Disney even knew this organization existed. Thanks for sharing that link with us. It is connections like this that bring the whole hobby together.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Kevin...I never heard back from the DAV...so if you ever come across any war era literature featuring that design or any background info related to the designs creation, please let me know.

• 3 months later...

I recently added a few more Disabled American Veterans reunion badges to my collection. The ribbons are a little rough, but with items like these, one never knows if it is the only example left...

DAV1947LasVegas.jpg

DELEGATE

DISABLED AMERICAN

VETERANS

NATIONAL CONVENTION

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA

AUGUST 17-21

DAV1948NewYork.jpg

DAV1952Boston.jpg

DELEGATE

31ST NATIONAL

CONVENTION

DISABLED

AMERICAN

VETERANS

AUG 16-18(?)

DAV1953KansasCity.jpg

DELEGATE

32ND NATIONAL

CONVENTION

DISABLED AMERICAN

VETERANS

Aug. 23 to Aug. 29

• 2 years later...

DAV1991NewOrleans_800.jpg

70TH

NATIONAL

CONVENTION

DISABLED

AMERICAN

VETERANS

AND

AUXILIARY

July 27 - Aug 1

NEW ORLEANS

DAV1994Chicago_800.jpg

DELEGATE

73rd

NATIONAL

CONVENTION

DISABLED

AMERICAN

VETERANS

AND

AUXILIARY

Aug 20- Aug 25

Chicago, Illinois

DAV1998LasVegas_800.jpg

DELEGATE

77th

NATIONAL

CONVENTION

DISABLED

AMERICAN

VETERANS

AND

AUXILIARY

Aug 22- Aug 27

Las Vegas, NV

• 3 months later...

I have just come across the first ever reunion badge for the Disabled American Veterans.

DAV1921DetroitMi_600.jpg

1st NATIONAL

CONVENTION

JUNE 27 - 30

• 8 months later...
KevinBeyer

DAV1939Boston_600.jpg

19TH NATIONAL

CONVENTION

DISABLED AMERICAN

VETERANS

OF THE WORLD WAR

BOSTON, MASS. 1939

DONATED BY CITY OF BOSTON

MAYOR MAURICE J TOBIN

KevinBeyer

DAV1940GreenBay_pendant_low.jpg

20TH NATL.

CONVENTION

GREEN BAY

AUGUST 24-31

SPIRIT OF THE

NORTHWEST

Here's one from the Massachusetts state convention in 1933 it was held in my home town.

DSCF0022.JPG

KevinBeyer

My collection consists of only National Convention badges and ribbons.

Is there anyone out there who has a collection of annual convention badges/ribbons from their home state?

Kevin

• 2 months later...

Here is one I have in my collection. It's the 5th National Convention that was held in Omaha in 1925. The medal is made by Whitehead and Hoag and on the ribbon it used to have the word ALTERNATE printed on it.

Mark

post-1786-1346608950.jpg

Nice one, Mark!

If I haven't posted a particular DAV badge, that means I've never seen it. So, this one is new to me!

Thanks,

Kevin