WWII USMC HBT 'Doron' Jacket

Corpsmancollector

Corpsmancollector

I didn't manage to get around to posting this when I added it to the collection last summer, but here goes. An original WWII USMC 'Doron' jacket made of Marine Corps HBT with the internal inserts for Doron plates to act as armoured plating. These jackets were made in fairly small number and saw little use (the mopping up stages of the Okinawa campaign being an exception) during WWII, I'd consider them fairly rare as HBT goes. The jacket features the standard 'US Marine Corps' steel donut buttons and two lower patch pockets. Some examples I've seen also have a left chest pocket with the EGA stencil and USMC lettering seen on P41 dungaree jackets. I can't quite make out whether the pocket has been removed or whether it wasn't put on in the first place, there are no obvious stitch lines. There was also an earlier version of this jacket, where the inserts had small tapes to tie up after the Doron plate had been inserted. I've got to say, even though the internal pockets only have card in them, it's very uncomfrtable to wear! I wouldn't have fancied trudging round the muddy hills of Okinawa with one of these on.

Will

post-5339-1326651330.jpg

post-5339-1326651342.jpg

Nice jacket Will.

I have one also that came out of a vets estate.I bought it as a normal hbt shirt and thought it seemed:heavy"in weight compared to other hbt shirts.Upon getting home with the item I found the inner of the jacket with sewn section and pockets.Can post it up or send you a picture.

Corpsmancollector
Never seen this type of jacket before Thanks for your pics Will Cheers J

My pleasure J! You always post jackets I've never seen! :lol:

All the best,

Will

Corpsmancollector
Nice jacket Will.

I have one also that came out of a vets estate.I bought it as a normal hbt shirt and thought it seemed:heavy"in weight compared to other hbt shirts.Upon getting home with the item I found the inner of the jacket with sewn section and pockets.Can post it up or send you a picture.

Hey Ron,

Yes, they're quite a bit bigger than a standard P41 aren't they? I think they're a slightly longer cut and obviously there's the additional material on the inside for the pockets. By all means post a picture! :thumbsup:

Will

Corpsmancollector
Hi Will...thats very nice mate...did this one come via jim..

Joe,

Good to hear from you mate. It did indeed, hadn't seen many others for sale and had to go for it! :thumbsup:

Will

Every time I read anything on these, it makes me wish I had kept the one I aquired years ago :crying: . Thinking it was strictly post-War, I traded it to Doug Bailey, and it went on to grace the pages of Alec Tulkoff's fine reference.

Will, that's different from the others (admittedly very few!) I've seen, in that it's all HBT instead of some "foreign" fabric being used for the pouches.

A fine score, my friend!! :w00t: :w00t: Thanks for showing!

Great ... I saw recently a P41 coat without breast pocket and with weird stitching, perhaps it was such a Doron coat :huh:

Corpsmancollector
:thumbsup: Nice find Will. In great condition.

Rich

Thanks Rich! :thumbsup:

Etienne, the real clue is on the inside of the jacket where the additional pockets are for the Doron plates. This jacket is the only one I've seen which is missing the breast pocket, but perhaps Ron or Craig might be able to shed some light on whether there are others out there.

Will

I can only echo previous comments Will...a great find and something I've never seen before! (Same goes for Craig's example)

Corpsmancollector
I can only echo previous comments Will...a great find and something I've never seen before! (Same goes for Craig's example)

Thanks Ian! :thumbsup:

Craig; that's an interesting piece for sure...Almost a cross between the look of a life-preserver and the purpose of a Doron jacket! The interior pouches look almost identical to the jacket I posted, with some subtle differences but in essence it's the same concept. Is the HBT Army or USMC weave? I noticed a label in one of your pictures too, does that shed any light on who might have made it? The small brown button actually reminds me of those used on the post-WWII USMC utilities. Perhaps this was designed between the close of WWII and Korea? Just a thought but I'd love to know more info.

Will

Corpsmancollector
Every time I read anything on these, it makes me wish I had kept the one I aquired years ago :crying: . Thinking it was strictly post-War, I traded it to Doug Bailey, and it went on to grace the pages of Alec Tulkoff's fine reference.

Will, that's different from the others (admittedly very few!) I've seen, in that it's all HBT instead of some "foreign" fabric being used for the pouches.

A fine score, my friend!! :w00t: :w00t: Thanks for showing!

Thanks for your comments, Jim! I knew you'd like this one...I think we discussed it briefly last summer didn't we. Took me a while to post it!

I remember you saying you sold a Doron to Doug Bailey, if I recall its your previous jacket featured in Grunt Gear which has the different internal pockets? More of a mustard brown coloured pouch with tie strings at the openings? Perhaps that precedes my example?

Will

Etienne, the real clue is on the inside of the jacket where the additional pockets are for the Doron plates. This jacket is the only one I've seen which is missing the breast pocket, but perhaps Ron or Craig might be able to shed some light on whether there are others out there.

You're right, Will ... the one I saw was probably a regular one missing the breast pocket, but I didn't even think it could be something else :blink:

Thanks anyway for showing us such a scarce item :thumbsup:

There was a vest very similar to Craig's on eBay not long ago, with a USMC stencil on the front pocket. I'll try to find the auction and maybe copy a photo, but it'd be a bit of confirmation that Marines did at least try them out.

*EDIT*

Found them. Memory was a bit fuzzy -- not exactly the same vest, but here it is for comparison anyway. This one had HBT and 13-star buttons and pockets for multiple plates of varying sizes.

post-1424-1326735345.jpgpost-1424-1326735358.jpg

post-1424-1326735430.jpg

Corpsmancollector
You're right, Will ... the one I saw was probably a regular one missing the breast pocket, but I didn't even think it could be something else :blink:

Thanks anyway for showing us such a scarce item :thumbsup:

Etienne,

No worries mate, happy to share with you guys! :thumbsup:

nice one Will.

owen

Thanks O! Congratulations once again on the new show :thumbsup:

Dan,

That's a really interesting piece, I like the chest stencil! It looks very similar to the example Craig posted...And some of the plates seem to be original Doron plates judging by the red stamps. I wonder if there's any spec documents on these jackets/vests?

Thanks for posting the pics,

Will

Thanks for your comments, Jim! I knew you'd like this one...I think we discussed it briefly last summer didn't we. Took me a while to post it!

I remember you saying you sold a Doron to Doug Bailey, if I recall its your previous jacket featured in Grunt Gear which has the different internal pockets? More of a mustard brown coloured pouch with tie strings at the openings? Perhaps that precedes my example?

Will

Will- Yup, that's the one!! But I sure couldn't tell you which was the first produced :dunno: