2nd Pattern Camo Cover?

tigerfan

Just aquired a few things from a local WWII veterans lot and wanted to confirm that this is a 2nd pattern camo helmet cover. Unfortunately the helmet was gone but this was on his liner. Thanks for any help.

post-2609-1326494993.jpg

Looks like the one with the slots in the tabs.A variation seen from time to time.1st patterns were with out slots.Dont know where this falls in line with te second pattern terminology.

I have always wondered if there is any documentation on the helmet cover designs.Seems odd that they would add the slots and call this the 3rd pattern where having no slots or eliminating them (from the tabs)would make the 3rd pattern easier to make and reduce the amount of labor in making slots in the tabs.For being the 3rd pattern you sure dont see them used in quantity as the other models and the koeran war dated ones didnt utilize the slots in the tabs either.

Thanks Flage.

Seeing the document is dated September of 1942 When were the lower button holes deleted???Are there similiar documents showing dates adopted for the 1st and 2nd patterns??? Just trying to grasp why the 3rd pattern isnt more prevelant since its basically regconized as the last adopted pattern

I think we tried to figure this out before in a past thread if i recall...this new documentation should make the order...

1) first pattern.....no slits

2) second pattern....slits in the crown with slits in the flaps

3) third pattern......slits in crown only

I think we tried to figure this out before in a past thread if i recall...this new documentation should make the order...

Mike

Thats what Im thinking

I agree with this nomenclature ... seems right to think the flap's slits were deleted to simplify manufacture :think:

I agree with this nomenclature ... seems right to think the flap's slits were deleted to simplify manufacture :think:

I agree; all the slitted post-War Covers I've ever seen did not have slits in the flaps, only in the dome.

Drawings:

post-3226-1326507724.jpeg

Hello Jim !

That's a great document you've got there :thumbsup:

It makes me question the model designations some of us have used for years on these covers; for instance my Uncle's cover had button holes in the flaps, but not in the crown. - For years I referred to it as a "2nd model".

So what model does it make the ones with no button holes in flaps or crown ? :think:

post-6057-1326861539.jpg

Best regards, Jim. - Always good to see your posts.

Best regards, Paul

• 5 years later...