Painting Face and Hands of a 1/35 figure

Proud Kraut

When I returned to 1/35 model-making two years ago, my modelling skills were almost completely gone. But I have learned so much since then. Some of my skills have returned (thanks to the www.) and I have learnd some more modelling-techniques. The most difficult part seemed to be painting figures, especially the face. After many trials I think I have found a way to achieve "semi-acceptable" results. Today I want to share with you my procedure for painting figure's faces.

Primary notes:

- I do paint the face/hands AFTER assembling the body of the figure but BEFORE assembling the arms, painting the uniform, gear, weapon etc.

- Other than REMF like me, my figures are out in the field. The are dirty, unshaved and have a sun-darkened skin tone.

- If you'll try it the same way, test all steps with old figures you don't need anymore BEFORE you start with your $20 Verlinden figures.

STEP 1 - CLEANING

It's most important to wash your figure before starting the paint job. You can use soapy water, lighter fuel or dishwashing liquid. If available you can airbrush a grey or black primer for best results. Let the figure dry completely.

01_01.jpg

STEP 2 - PRIMING PAINT /SKIN TONE

For priming the face with skin tone, I use Vallejo Acrylic paint # 70927 (Humbrol # 61). Paint the face and hands of the figure with a small brush. Acrylic paint dries quickly but let the paint dry completely before going on with step 2 (about 12 hours).

02_02.jpg

STEP 3 - WASHING

After the primer has dried completely we change over to oil colors. I'm using "Raw Umber" and "Burnt Sienna" in a ratio of 2:1. Mix the colors with a few drops of terpentine until you get a fluid color.

03_01.jpg

Wait about 5 minutes then wipe away the oil paint with a dry cloth. Wipe in one direction (down-top) only. The oil paint has filled the deeper areas of the face (and hands). Oil colors dry very slowly. Wait another 12 hours at least before going on with step 4.

03_05.jpg

STEP 4 - DRYBRUSHING / HIGHLIGHTING

After the oil color has dryed completely, we are going to highlight the higher areas of the face. I use the same Vallejo color that I used in step 2.

04_01.jpg

Use a larger soft brush. Wipe the color from the brush at a cloth until the brush is nearly dry. The brush really has to be dry again!

04_03.jpg

STEP 5 - DETAILS

Now the most difficult part of the job. For this we need a very small brush (Size 0/0) or the peak of a toothpick or a needle etc. For people at my age a magnifier might be helpfull. Many modellers refrain from the white eyes color, they use black color only. ("Eyes are not more than slots, if you are outside").

05_01.jpg

Most important is to prevent the figure looking "popeyed". In this case I used a toothpick to paint the eyes and eyebrows of the figures.

05_02.jpg

okay - still a little popeye with the crew ;)

STEP 6 - BEARD / DIRT

In most cases our figures shouldn't look clean shaven. For the next step we use grey pigments (I have to mix black and white). You'll find thoused of pigment sets offered in the www.

06_01.jpg

After painting the uniform etc. you can save your result by airbrushing the complete figure with a matt varnish.

That's it - thanks for looking and have a nice Sunday!

06_05.jpg

Proud Kraut,

Outstanding primer :rolleyes: on face painting in 1/35 scale. It has been awhile since I picked up a brush and the example you gave us is superb for the old hand as well as the beginner. Thank you and hopefully I will have something to share with the forum in the spring.

Regards,

John