Questionable service history

M1Marksman

I’m glad this had a happy (for you) ending after all. You got your life back, learned a valuable lesson (with no bad damages or substantial financial losses that I can see), and weren’t made to look like the jerk in this case. I’m certain you’ll not put your family through something like this again.

It’s so sad that the guy had a REAL record that was impressive enough on its own, though. Still, people do need to remember that not EVERYTHING that happens to a person makes it to their record. I have done a few things and went through some training that I know for sure never got into my records, as well as some medical and injury stuff that happened. Heck, people could look at my records and think some of my ‘stories’ are lies because nobody bothered to put them into my records. But I’m talking about really small time stuff.

But still, I guess I can understand how the guy feels, in that I served but feel I made no real contribution or impact in comparison to many others who have served. But I wouldn’t lie about it just to sound cool to others. If anything, there are a couple of things I dealt with I’ve never even told my wife, much less anyone else.

• 2 months later...

Advice to those who never served.

Military records, as often as not, are incomplete, erroneous and missing things.

These can be awards, assignments, training,schools, and qualifications.

They are intended as technical records and not naratives of events in service.

OERs as desribed, can simply be the assessment of a rater or superior who has it in for you.

Just a comment on the reality of the situation. Drawing a picture of a person using a DD 214 or somesuch is questionable.

• 1 month later...
I suggest that you leave the man to his misery. If he is doing NO HARM, let this whole thing go. He is suffering in his own hell, and I'm sure that is enough.

In his defense, he ACTUALLY DID DO SOME OF THE THINGS HE SAID HE DID!! That's better then most, and we don't know what kind of effect this has had on him.

MHO.

Ok I have to add to this...

NO HARM!????? My friends and I at the paratrooper forum I am on, or at the SF Forum I am on, would respectfully disagree. When someone claims SF or Airborne status and runs their mouth about confirmed kills, secret missions, and nonsense like that it hurts us all. Posers are treated VERY HARSHLY in my world. They do a disservice to real quiet professionals who do their job without fanfare and just want to serve.

Ok I have to add to this...

NO HARM!????? My friends and I at the paratrooper forum I am on, or at the SF Forum I am on, would respectfully disagree. When someone claims SF or Airborne status and runs their mouth about confirmed kills, secret missions, and nonsense like that it hurts us all. Posers are treated VERY HARSHLY in my world. They do a disservice to real quiet professionals who do their job without fanfare and just want to serve.

That can still be a real deal guy running his mouth for whatever reason; one now retired member from SEAL Team Six comes to mind. Nice guy but definitely NOT a quiet professional. Just the other day I received an E~bay package and the return address was marked "Navy SEAL {ret}" which I found rather suspicious so I will go through the process of vetting him. If his claim is proved false the most I will do is contact this guy, point this out and then suggest he do the right thing. Free speech is still free speech and for all the decades I have encountered posers I have yet to feel anything more than pity. You see, my service is my own and no one, no matter how loud & proud their boasts may be can ever take THAT away.

That can still be a real deal guy running his mouth for whatever reason; one now retired member from SEAL Team Six comes to mind. Nice guy but definitely NOT a quiet professional. Just the other day I received an E~bay package and the return address was marked "Navy SEAL {ret}" which I found rather suspicious so I will go through the process of vetting him. If his claim is proved false the most I will do is contact this guy, point this out and then suggest he do the right thing. Free speech is still free speech and for all the decades I have encountered posers I have yet to feel anything more than pity. You see, my service is my own and no one, no matter how loud & proud their boasts may be can ever take THAT away.

Perhaps I need to remember this is a collectors forum and not a veterans forum. I personally do not feel free speech covers posers, it is just my opinion but it is how I feel. I am not kind to posers, I call them out when I encounter them.

I am new here so please forgive my strong feelings about this.

Perhaps I need to remember this is a collectors forum and not a veterans forum. I personally do not feel free speech covers posers, it is just my opinion but it is how I feel. I am not kind to posers, I call them out when I encounter them.

There are many, many veterans here...who mostly love calling these guys out, as well. I think the statement was more of an 'at least this one is actually a veteran' feeling rather than the X-Box warrior who buys a uniform on eBay and posts pictures on Facebook. Do I agree with it? Not at all, though you can't say honestly that you don't know at least a few guys you served with who told some mighty inflated sea stories

I personally look upon this as a forum for collectors many of whom happen to be current, former and retired military of all nationalities. This particular topic initially dealt with a guy having a problem with another guy who also happened to have a loud, vivid imagination but seems to have become more focused on the "hot button" topic of posers.

Don't worry about being new here, we all were once and when I look back over my earlier posts I spent a great deal of time with my foot in my mouth though some here will submit not much has changed. If you glance about you will find many passions of which some lead to a topic being shut down. The opinions are as varied as the belly buttons each of us sports though the testosterone here might be a little more under control than at the other forums you mentioned.

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Some of the forums I belong to require a vetting process and you won't last there long if you're a faker. Chances are, someone knows someone you knew- It's common for real veterans to ask simple questions to check each other out and posers float to the surface real fast. There are guys with access to records to check training or combat claims of individuals if a question comes up.

On this forum there are enough veterans to spot a faker but I haven't seen very many people running around bragging about this and that, which is refreshing. This is a militaria collectors forum of excellent repute and I sure hope it stays that way.

Don't worry if some poser claiming to be from the 1st Special Forces, SEAL, Ranger Battalion of the 194th SAS Squadron based in Timbuktoo, running secret missions for the Delta Battalion with no records- being caught is a death sentence and the US will deny your existence.

We will get that persons background and they will be exposed. On this forum that would be very, very embarassing.

Rock