Why don't Americans Wear their Medals?

Wharfmaster

I work as a senior administrator at a college now and the college president is also a retired Army officer. He started a tradition long before I joined the college of wearing minature medals on our tuxedos at the annual holiday reception we hold. Over the past two years, our local Chamber of Commerce has held a Gala at our college - formal - on Veterans Day - and I opted to wear my minatures on my tuxedo for those events, too. The reaction is interesting - lots of positive comments and many vets who stop by to chat about their service.

I think we, as a society, also tend to be more casually oriented. We see medals and ribbons as "formal." So, while ets will wear an olf field jacket, boots or a ball cap emblazoned with their Service logo, they don't even consider wearing their medals or ribbons. To me, the idea is less aout the indiidual and more about recognition of Serice to Nation. God knows we fight an uphill battle for people to recognize the enormous sacrifice of our Vets and their families...maybe seeing us wear the ribbons and medals that represent, in a large way, that sacifice might help. It's not about bragging, it's about showing pride in one's Service.

I think this post really nails the reason. The precedence was set when Washington was elected president. As president he didn't wear his former rank or emblems of service. I think in part it is shown what Americans expected from a government in our Declaration of Independence "He has affected to render the military independent of and superior to civil power." No other president (31 presidents have served in the military http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unite..._military_rank) have worn their rank/medals/etc. in public either.

However, I think you are seeing a slow change in Americans wearing awards. Bob Dole wearing his Purple Heart buttonhole device or pin, while in office, set a higher level of exposure of what a veteran can wear on his/her civilian attire. I would expect with the new influx of vets that we will see an increase, maybe not significant, of the wearing of the lapel devices.

I can't recall the event, but there was annual military event in the early days of the United States when the President put on the uniform of the highest rank he attained and received guests at the White House.

This was however very short lived.

.".... God knows we fight an uphill battle for people to recognize the enormous sacrifice of our Vets and their families...maybe seeing us wear the ribbons and medals that represent, in a large way, that sacifice might help. It's not about bragging, it's about showing pride in one's Service.

THAT'S WHAT I MEAN!! :bravo:

I can't recall the event, but there was annual military event in the early days of the United States when the President put on the uniform of the highest rank he attained and received guests at the White House.

In looking for the right answer why, we seem to be kicking around our veterans just a little bit for not wearing their medals more often, The blame might be better laid at the feet of the "Generals and Admiral" of each of all the services. As they do not even encourages their troops under them to wearing a Class "A" uniforms anymore.

Harry Truman always wore his WWI veteran's pin on his lapel. Lyndon Johnson always wore a Silver Star lapel pin. Barry McCaffrey wears his Purple Heart lapel pin. Bob Dole was already mentioned wearing hos Purple Heart.

I think Mark V (Devious6) nailed it - we should be proud of our service and if the opportunity arises, wear that which represents it. The divide between those who serve(d) and the rest of the population is becoming too wide and people need to see that their friends and neighbors have done their duty. And never, never be ashamed of showing it or thinking that what you earned in the service of your country is insufficient to wear - a single medal represents more than most citizens will ever contribute.

It has to always be considered that the regulations are pretty specific, I assume that a long tradition of wearing medals ended when the WW2 vets were instructed that the ruptured duck entitled them to wear the uniform at special events before that the old vets some times worn the crap out of them many other guys wanted well deserved distance from anything service related. As noted earlier medals are seldom worn on active and who really cares what the regs say about future wear, during the 70-80's the racks shrank compared to the huge racks today. Who wants to wear a a micro rack or a huge rack ? any time you wear your medals it is special but you are always concerned and glad to get them off. like stated in earlier threads simply snagging your ribbons on a seat belt. Unless the military and Govt. intentionally change the culture you are not going to see much of them on civilians. i just bought one patch to upgrade my uniform for a friends upcomming retirement, set me back 28.00 and I have not had it sewn on yet. If I wore my medals like the brits and messed them up it would be a nightmare getting them repaired.

John

At the end of the day it is a Cultural/Economic choice that may never change, the days of seeing SAW/WW1 vets wearing medals with shreaded drapes is long long gone. The vets today are just as proud as they always have been.

For a couple years after I retired I wore my mini Paratrooper Badge and EIB as a tie tack. I took great pride in earning them. Then after 3-4 years I stopped. I never wore that huge Army Retired pin that the Army sent me in the mail and my medals sit in a foot locker mixed In with my collection. The only thing I wear now is a small Army logo pin on my suit jacket at work.

For a couple years after I retired I wore my mini Paratrooper Badge and EIB as a tie tack. I took great pride in earning them. Then after 3-4 years I stopped. I never wore that huge Army Retired pin that the Army sent me in the mail and my medals sit in a foot locker mixed In with my collection. The only thing I wear now is a small Army logo pin on my suit jacket at work.

I wear the retired Pin on my cap, and have a retired sticker on my truck, along with my specialty "U.S. Army" license plates. That is all I show anymore. Along with the occasional "unit" t-shirts available from the PX , museum gift shop, etc..

I wear the retired Pin on my cap, and have a retired sticker on my truck, along with my specialty "U.S. Army" license plates. That is all I show anymore. Along with the occasional "unit" t-shirts available from the PX , museum gift shop, etc..

Don't wear hats, have the Retired Navy plates on all vehicles, and US Navy Retired stickers in one truck and the wifes van. I think the British/Canadian/Austrailian/New Zealander tradition of wearing their medals and the regimental berets, jackets and ites is ag great thing. Too bad that never caught on here. But, personnaly like somany others have said, I am pretty unimpressed with my medals. I have quite a few, but they really don't mean anything to me. Mostly "I was there". To be honest, they are ina shadow box on the floor in the back of my closet. I noticed them the other day and actually could not identify some of them. Nor remember what most were for. I am much more proud of having served in the Navy, being a Senior Chief Petty Officer and the ships I served in than any medals I might have.

Steve Hesson

My mini-medals hang from a cork board behind the door of my home office. I never bothered to get them properly mounted nor have I attached all of the oak leaf clusters. As several have said previously, I'd never earned anything beyond the standard achievement and service medals. The only one that I'm really proud of is the Army of Occupation Medal from my service in Berlin, my father earned the same medal in Germany in the early 1950s.

6656092497_92af31264a_z.jpg

My outdated minis (why bother updating them?) hang behind the head of my GI Joe made for me by dear Robwashashore. :thumbsup: As you can tell, I have other people's ribbons and medals more prominently displayed than my own (forgive the glare, the whole display is behind plexiglass (to keep out 4 sets of little fingers...) :lol:

IMG_20120107_00231.jpg

I must be a rarity. I attend many military events and wear my minis as often as possible. Although it is not "much" when compared to the MoH recipients I stand next to and deal with in "comparison", I am just as proud.

While attending a MoH event, I didn't wear my minis for some reason, maybe like everyone else has posted, "wasn't much". However, Mike Thornton, a recipient, asked me "wear are my medals?" I answered, "forgot them at home, no big deal". He freaked out on me, stating, "it is a big deal"." All these people here paid alot of money to be here and see us, but they can't be us. We have served and they haven't. They can't call themselves a veteran. You and I have something they can never have or buy. When we are togather you will always wear your medals proudly." Since then I have always worn my medals proudly. Since then I have always thought of my medals as great achievements in my military career and so have the recipients I have had the pleasure of working with, ALL.

As for as the original being stolen. I remember when Col Howard, Moh recipient was involved in as scam while attending former Pres Bush's event. He was hit in an accident and while he was talking to the other driver, a passenger in the other car went into Col Howard's car and took his formal jacket with ALL his mini medals on them. The Colonel called me in a panic to make another set for him and fedex them to him in DC so he could show up with his medals on a jacket for the event. I did. Long story short, he finally got his jacket and medals back after they caught the guys that were doing this to other MoH recipients. When his originall jacket was sent back to him he sent me the medals I made for him back. I have posted them here on the forum before.

What I have found interesting is that while the MoH recipients over the years have accepted my and my military achievements, some here on the forum have used my postings of my pics to think they "know better" than me and have questioned and even sent off for my dd214. REALLY! These are the people that irritate me. Know it alls, or so they think they do! These are the guys that make me NOT want to wear my medals. However, I love it when it is all said and done they are wrong and are a idiot!

4starchris

Spathologist
I have my enamel lapel pins, but honestly my highest award was a Navy Commendation (of course, several of them) and that's chump change to other awards. I'd be kind of embarrassed wearing it.

Not knocking on you at all, Dave, but that award was given for doing something well while serving. 99% of Americans don't rate it. If you don't have the MoH, well, maybe it's because the .mil didn't give you the chance to earn it. But you signed up for that chance, even if you didn't get it, and any award you did receive for performance should be a point of pride. It says you were a good trooper.

Spathologist
Prince Charles looks great in the photo and should be proud of his service to his country. I think it is a great tradition. :thumbsup:

I once heard a story that cuff buttons on military uniforms originated to prevent line soldiers from wiping their noses on their sleeves.

If true, and I'm just ribbing here, then from looking at the cuffs on Prince Charles' uniform, British Generals must need a lot of disincentive... ;)

Spathologist
I think this post really nails the reason. The precedence was set when Washington was elected president. As president he didn't wear his former rank or emblems of service.

But he *did* wear his general's uniform while in office. Washington was a master of message, and his role as commander-in-chief was always subtly emphasized.

Many thanks to all for your opinions and super photos. Great response!

Best regards,

The Wharfmaster

In Peace and War. US Merchant Marine.