Why don't Americans Wear their Medals?

Wharfmaster

Male members of the British Royal Family traditionally serve in the military. The Duke of Edinburgh actively served in the RN in WW2. Prince Andrew flew Navy helicopters during the Falklands War. Prince William is currently a serving officer in the RAF. Prince Harry served in a combat unit in Afghanistan. Prince Charles is not a combat vet but he did command an RN Corvette and qualified as an Army pilot.

post-8022-1325790339.jpg

Prince Charles looks great in the photo and should be proud of his service to his country. I think it is a great tradition. :thumbsup:

The only full sized medal I saw worn by someone in the US was an old vietnam vet at the VA. I didn't have a chance to talk to him as I was going into my appointment, but he was coming out wearing his purple heart as a pendant on a chain. Kinda cool.

I have been slowly putting all my medals together, getting them engraved and finding more stuff from my past (ie old unit patches etc). I want my sons to have that of me someday (yeah I'm still in my 30s but ya never know). At least that way they can be sure "that stuff is dad's" versus all the other stuff in my collection.

Mike

I saw this photo of Mickey Rooney and no matter how you feel about the guy it is gratifying to see him with his medals in a sea of celebrities who will "never know the true meaning of freedom".

Rooney served in Special Services entertaining troops, as many movie stars did. I would imagine many of today's celebrities would have done the same thing during a draft.

I think that US veterans possess a certain type of humility... Veterans are typically humble when it comes to self... This is difficult for the general population to grasp...

Most do seem to, yes.

Thankfully

This is difficult for the general population to grasp as Americans constantly provide their work/life-resumes in introductory conversations (at dinner parties and elsewhere).

This quote is too delicious to let pass without acknowledgement !! :bravo:

Grandfather retired from USMC. Fought at Iwo Jima. He has some major gongs on his rack. All he wears proudly is the EGA (on everythgn he can, lol). What he talks about is the pride in the Corps, pride in serving his country, and the absolute honor it was for him to guard Roosevelt. His favorite saying was "You've got to be humble". And he is.

Male members of the British Royal Family traditionally serve in the military. The Duke of Edinburgh actively served in the RN in WW2. Prince Andrew flew Navy helicopters during the Falklands War. Prince William is currently a serving officer in the RAF. Prince Harry served in a combat unit in Afghanistan. Prince Charles is not a combat vet but he did command an RN Corvette and qualified as an Army pilot.

post-8022-1325790339.jpg

Ian, are those PARA WINGS on his upper right sleeve ?

Grandfather retired from USMC. Fought at Iwo Jima. He has some major gongs on his rack. All he wears proudly is the EGA (on everythgn he can, lol). What he talks about is the pride in the Corps, pride in serving his country, and the absolute honor it was for him to guard Roosevelt. His favorite saying was "You've got to be humble". And he is.

And there we have it. Not self but esprit de corps. Typical and awesome!

I would bet most of us have US medal groups that are in mint, in the box (FS), never worn condition. Do we Americans consider wearing decorations and medals "showing off"? Or, is it because it is not required?

Go to Britain sometime. Anyone in any sort of uniform both civil and military wears their ribbons and/or medals daily.

What do you think?

Regards to all.

The Wharfmaster

In Peace and War. US Merchant Marine.

Tom Cruise wore his :D

post-34986-1325834215.jpg

Ian, are those PARA WINGS on his upper right sleeve ?

Affirmative, Patches. He's Colonel-in-Chief of the Parachute Regiment.

I think you will find that Prince Charles has also done the stupid thing of jumping out of perfectly serviceable aircraft to earn his wings:

"Prince Charles trained as a helicopter pilot, and entered the RAF as Flight Lieutenant The Prince of Wales due to his flying experience. He made his first parachute drop in 1971, and became Colonel-in-Chief of the Parachute Regiment in 1977. As well as serving in the Royal Navy for several years in the 1970s, including command of HMS Bronington, a minehunter, from February 1976 until December 1976, his career earned him the nickname 'The Action Man Prince'."

On the wearing of enamel pins, here in Australia you get issued the Returned from Active Service badge (RAS badge) if you have seen active service. This was instituted many years ago (prior to WWI?) as it was taking a long time for medals to get struck and distributed so the RAS badge was worn until medals were issued. For some veterans the RAS badge held a great deal of meaning as it could be worn at any time in any civilian attire, unlike medals. I have been issued mine but have never worn it, neither did my grandfather (WWII veteran) but my father (VN veteran) wore his.

Also, by way of contrast, whenever I see a senior US general give a tv press conference, or whatever, they always seem to be wearing more ribbons and brass than a Soviet Marshall!

Ian-

Totally agree. The US Army Blue Uniform has become a monstrosity. There's just too much "junk" worn on it. The fact that shoulder patches aren't worn on that uniform has just added to the "Christmas Tree Effect." What used to be on the shoulder (e.g., Ranger/SF tabs, combat patch) are now worn as metal badges on the front. And then add a beret to all of that, which just doesn't seem to go along with it all, and you have a total mess.

Only the USMC seems to get it. Hopefully the US Army will reverse things like the USAF did with its "American Airlines" McPeak uniform of the 1990's and the USN did with its ill-advised enlisted uniform of the 1970's.

Kurt

If you ever visit London, especially the up-market Borough of Chelsea, you'll quite likely see some of these fine old gentlemen with chestfuls of medals proudly worn daily. They also wear the traditional scarlet frock coat and tri-corn hat. They are known to us as "Chelsea Pensioners" and are all ex-servicemen who are resident in the Royal Chelsea Hospital, a retirement home and nursing home for former members of the British Army. This tradition goes way back to the reign of King Charles II in the 1600s. It's considered a high honour to be a resident there and they are accorded the utmost respect by the British people.

post-8022-1325854411.jpg

Ian-

Totally agree. The US Army Blue Uniform has become a monstrosity. There's just too much "junk" worn on it. The fact that shoulder patches aren't worn on that uniform has just added to the "Christmas Tree Effect." What used to be on the shoulder (e.g., Ranger/SF tabs, combat patch) are now worn as metal badges on the front. And then add a beret to all of that, which just doesn't seem to go along with it all, and you have a total mess.

Only the USMC seems to get it. Hopefully the US Army will reverse things like the USAF did with its "American Airlines" McPeak uniform of the 1990's and the USN did with its ill-advised enlisted uniform of the 1970's.

Kurt

Hi Kurt. Obviously, I meant no disrespect...it was just an observation. I don't understand why the US military feels it constantly has to tinker with its uniforms. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! The notion of doing away with traditional patches and wearing enamelled waist badges instead! What's that all about?! And the myriad of camo patterns among the various services?! Well, at least it gives we collectors something to collect!

Ian :thumbsup:

Hi Kurt. Obviously, I meant no disrespect...it was just an observation. I don't understand why the US military feels it constantly has to tinker with its uniforms. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! The notion of doing away with traditional patches and wearing enamelled waist badges instead! What's that all about?! And the myriad of camo patterns among the various services?! Well, at least it gives we collectors something to collect!

Ian :thumbsup:

Like you, I'm glad they keep changing the camo uniforms. US military fashion trends keeps things interesting for us collectors. I just wish they'd get back to sewing the patches on them.

Kurt

Amen, and AMEN! :pinch:

I would bet most of us have US medal groups that are in mint, in the box (FS), never worn condition. Do we Americans consider wearing decorations and medals "showing off"? Or, is it because it is not required?

Go to Britain sometime. Anyone in any sort of uniform both civil and military wears their ribbons and/or medals daily.

What do you think?

Regards to all.

The Wharfmaster

Hi, Wharfmaster,

I understand your point but I personally think American do wear their medals and we do it our own American way. Go into any American Legion, Am Vets or V.F.W., you will find many Veterans wearing their hats with tons of "PINS" on them. And right there on the front of their hat, you would know where or what they did in the service. As we travel around in our towns or cities we see on a daily basis a Veteran with his hat and his pins. A good example is that I went to Washington, DC for Veterans Day and I saw a lot of Veterans with their medals and hat pins.

There were very few US medals prior to the 20th century. When the United States established its independence, we did not want to retain the trappings of the european aristocracy.

I think this post really nails the reason. The precedence was set when Washington was elected president. As president he didn't wear his former rank or emblems of service. I think in part it is shown what Americans expected from a government in our Declaration of Independence "He has affected to render the military independent of and superior to civil power." No other president (31 presidents have served in the military http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unite..._military_rank) have worn their rank/medals/etc. in public either.

However, I think you are seeing a slow change in Americans wearing awards. Bob Dole wearing his Purple Heart buttonhole device or pin, while in office, set a higher level of exposure of what a veteran can wear on his/her civilian attire. I would expect with the new influx of vets that we will see an increase, maybe not significant, of the wearing of the lapel devices.

Another thing that appears to be fairly common among US vets, but not elsewhere, certainly not in the UK at least, is the wearing of their original old uniforms...assuming they still fit of course! Or, in some instances which I've observed at first hand, modern repros of jump jackets bearing their insignia and ribbons. Also your VFWs tend to have specially embroidered garrison caps which display their unit insignia and campaign ribbons etc. In the UK / Commonwealth the tradition is for vets to wear their regimental berets and blazers bearing the regimental crest for such occasions as Remembrance Day (see pic) We may do things slightly differently but the sentiment is just the same.

post-8022-1325859145.jpg

In the UK / Commonwealth the tradition is for vets to wear their regimental berets and blazers bearing the regimental crest for such occasions as Remembrance Day (see pic) We may do things slightly differently but the sentiment is just the same.

French vets tend to do the same ... civilian wear with berets, or other "tradition" headwear, and medals.

We don't have a royal family anymore ... so no gaudy medals ;)

French vets tend to do the same ... civilian wear with berets, or other "tradition" headwear, and medals.

We don't have a royal family anymore ... so no gaudy medals ;)

"Pour les barricades mes braves! Mort aux aristos!" :w00t:

I've never worn full or miniature medals since my retirement from the Air Force (and hardly ever while in the Air Force, for that matter). I have worn the mini enamel ribbon bar lapel pins for the Southwest Asia Service Medal, the Saudi Arabia Liberation of Kuwait Medal, and the National Defense Service Medal (not all at the same time, one at a time!). I've also worn a miniature lapel pin of my Master Navigator wings, and I've worn the US Air Force Retired lapel pin I was awarded during my retirement ceremony. I'd be very self conscious wearing anything else, especially in front of fellow veterans. I don't mind if others do that, but I feel like fellow vets would think I'm bragging or something. This is a very interesting topic!

I like the photos of Mickey Rooney and Prince Charles, very nice.

Pete

Often times the local military base will host the local retirees for the purpose of having a pool of augmentees to sit at a processing table for units that are deploying. In reality, this is usually a way to update a roster of those old folks in the local area, give them an update on activities and then fete them at the club or chow hall, a very nice gesture. Almost always retirees are included for Memorial & Vets Day ceremonies. Maybe the better thing would be to include these folks as part of the monthly parade that most bases have {allowing family members in the stands} and have them march as their own contingent, passing in review and everything. Issue the invitations early enough so base passes can be obtained and then receive some refreshers in D&C. Have a dress standard similar to service dress such as a dark blazer where the medals can be worn. The base commander could even make the clothing sales facility available for updating ribbons and medals on that day alone.

Pour les barricades mes braves! Mort aux aristos!" Yes, even the elected ones!!!!!!

I remember a few years ago there was a push on Veteran’s Day to have people who’d served to either wear their medals with their civilian clothes that day or least their ribbons. I’ve never seen anyone do that, not even at a large parade for that day where I live. Where I work there are lots of former service people, and none of them wear them, either.

I didn’t get too many medals, as I never deployed to any war zone and I was one of those people who didn’t make a big deal about myself in the service. I got a lot of challenge coins for doing stuff, but not a lot of medals. There were a couple of cases where I found out later I was put in for a couple of medals but the chain of command in one of my units was really lazy and they never went anywhere. I couldn’t care less, that wasn’t why I served. I did put together a correct ribbon rack (one medal was given to me as I left active duty) once but I’ve never worn it and I can’t see me ever wearing it. My ribbons aren’t anything special AT ALL, I don’t even have any campaign ribbons. I’m proud of my service on a personal level, but it’s nothing to write home about.