Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Uniforms

seabee

I believe that your 1935 dated jacket was made by the Sigmund Eisner firm under a government contract to supply clothing for the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and other alphabet agenices during the depression. The CCC and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) housed workers in military style camps and provided clothing for the men who went to work for these agencies. I know for a fact that the CCC issued a great deal of WWI uniforms for the men working in our national parks and elsewhere. This coat, while made from military OD wool, was made in a "civilian" cut and was most likely used for this purpose.

Allan

I was going to say that it looked an awful lot like a Civilian Conservation Corps coat. Sigmund Eisner was one of the premier suppliers of clothing to the military during the war and it wouldn't surprise me if that contract wasn't set up for earlier material by the Roosevelt administration. Your coat is in exceptional condition. In the photos below, note the overall military look of the CCC.

post-99-1168187682.gif

post-99-1168187696.jpg

post-99-1168188094.jpg

This undated RPPC is of an unidentified "CAMP A.LA. LIBRARY" man wearing a similar coat to yours. The coat here has patch pockets, epaulets and Army type buttons so I thought Camp A.LA. was a WWI military facility but now I wonder if the coats are related or just similar cut and coincidental.

post-85-1168188811.jpg

post-85-1168188833.jpg

I have a nearly identical jacket. The only difference is that the one I have still retains a wartime (WWI) lable in the lining. I guess so much stuff was left over after the war that they reworked these old uniforms to reflect the more current fashions as well as a "make work" project itself in order to keep workers employed.

• 1 year later...

I believe the sleeve patch above reads "Camp Library" and" A.L.A." -- the ALA (and still is)was the American Library Association and they operated libraries for doughboys in the various camps. My uncle worked for the ALA at Camp Custer whiole he was waiting to be drafted, but the war ended first. I have a photo of him wearing a high collar coat.

G

• 7 years later...

Has anyone ever seen an Officers Side Cap for the CCC? I may be crazy but I think I found one today.

It is cur similar to a WW1 / 1920s Officers Garrison Cap, with the black and gold piping, but in a dark forest green wool. The sweat band is marked "Cravenette Processed; sheds showers", putting the date into the 1930s - 1940s.

Before I take pictures, I was hoping someone had one to compare it to.

Timo