Firmin Command Pilot Wing

camelgreen44

Ran across this wing at a antique mall jewelers case and purchased it yesterday. I originally saw it about a year ago. The dealer/jeweler showed me a little group that had belonged to his wifes uncle who was AAC but not a pilot. He didnt have it for sale then, but yesterday the wing showed up in his case. When I originally saw it it was completely tarnished and looked great. Since then I believe he has tried to polish the back of the wreath to ck for silver, seeing brass under the plate, I guess he gave up on value and put it for sale,quite cheap for what it was. I was thrilled with the final price ! I know theres been a lot of discussion on Bogus Firmin wings? So here it is for your scrutiny and comments ! (The brownish tint on the front dosent show up just looking at it? camera? and the rough stuff on the rear is from his sticker.)

post-334-1325356289.jpg

Yea,I'll admit that after seeing it awhile back,I have had some thoughts about it ! Is this normal to DREAM about things like this? Ha Ha!

Wingcommander
Yea,I'll admit that after seeing it awhile back,I have had some thoughts about it ! Is this normal to DREAM about things like this? Ha Ha!

My Dream is to have a complete set of Brit made wings, as I'm a collector of RAF and RCAF wings......USAAF is a side hobby but the brits are essential to my interest I think!

My Dream is to have a complete set of Brit made wings, as I'm a collector of RAF and RCAF wings......USAAF is a side hobby but the brits are essential to my interest I think!

My dream is to have a Ferrari.

Happy New Year fellows and may your dreams come true in 2012!

Cliff ... :-)

post-4542-1325398000.jpg

My dream is to have a Ferrari.

Happy New Year fellows and may your dreams come true in 2012!

Cliff,

I'll have my man servant drive my extra one over and drop it off. It has almost 200 miles on it, hope that doesn't matter to you being used and all.

Have a great New Year.

Terry

I wouldn't touch that Ferrari with a barge pole. Those spoked wheels are obviously repros and I think it's been repainted too. What's the story...found in a barn in Tuscany? Yeah...right! ;)

camelgreen44
I wouldn't touch that Ferrari with a barge pole. Those spoked wheels are obviously repros and I think it's been repainted too. What's the story...found in a barn in Tuscany? Yeah...right! ;)

I really wouldn't call it a reproduction, maybe just "Post WWII manufactured" :D

I really wouldn't call it a reproduction, maybe just "Post WWII manufactured" :D

I think it's one of those theatre made. Italy perhaps?

camelgreen44

I want to thank all of you who have left positive comments for my wing find. After seeing some of your Collections/accumulations on line I have great respect for your comments. I also have played around on line for a matching wing just for comparison sake,and have come up empty handed. I know there has to be quite a few out there, but nobody is sharing any pics of theirs? on this site or any others. Any guesses as to the scarecity of the Brit made Command Pilot Wings,on a scale of say 1 thru 10? As to associated value, I know the old addage"Whatever somebodys willing to pay?" but realistically what might a collector be expected to pay, from an online site?Thanks in advance for your comments.

I want to thank all of you who have left positive comments for my wing find. After seeing some of your Collections/accumulations on line I have great respect for your comments. I also have played around on line for a matching wing just for comparison sake,and have come up empty handed. I know there has to be quite a few out there, but nobody is sharing any pics of theirs? on this site or any others. Any guesses as to the scarecity of the Brit made Command Pilot Wings,on a scale of say 1 thru 10? As to associated value, I know the old addage"Whatever somebodys willing to pay?" but realistically what might a collector be expected to pay, from an online site?Thanks in advance for your comments.

With many thanks to fellow forum member Bob Schwartz, aka "bschwartz," there is an excellent website on line that is managed by him which has one section devoted only to World War II Command Pilot wings. It can be viewed here:

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/usaafcommandpilot.shtml

With regard to other British made Command Pilot badges, below is one somewhat similar to yours; however, it was stamped from a different die. Unfortunately, I'm not certain who the maker was.

Kind regards,

post-4542-1325564278.jpg

camelgreen44

Cliff, thanks for pointing this one out,it is pretty close in design,although it dos have a couple slight differences. I guess i flew by this one,not taking much note,because he didnt list a hallmark.