m1967 USMC buttpack vs. ALICE/LC-1 buttpack

gimp

who know this buttpack variant

is this like a transitional issue buttpack or not ?

but there are no date markings etc....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160689265769?ru=ht...%3D1&_rdc=1

the design/cut is like the m1967 usmc buttpack, but the material is like the alice / lc-1 buttpack

transitional1wda8j.jpg transitional2isal7.jpg

here is the official known m1967 usmc buttpack:

m1967usmcbuttpack122xyd.jpg

m1967usmcbuttpack20cysx.jpg

and here is the two alice / lc-1 buttpack variants:

lc-1buttpack15kah3.jpg lc-1buttpack2anxki.jpg

i think the buttpack from the auction is like this one on the photo. the design is like the m1967 usmc buttpack, but the material is like alice / lc-1 buttpack

transitional3ghxp5.jpg transitional4dhakc.jpg

some opinions ?

craig_pickrall

Can you get a photo of the inside of the flap. There should be some markings there if not any other place.

Can you get a photo of the inside of the flap. There should be some markings there if not any other place.

Sir,

i dont have this buttpack, but i'm very interested in this design and its issue.

like the auctions description, there are only US marking and nothing else:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160689265769?ru=ht...%3D1&_rdc=1

there are more photos.

its almost the same cut like the m1967 usmc buttpack and the lc-1 has reenforcement at the tab/loop area, backside of the pack, right....

thx

craig_pickrall

I am not familiar with this particular version of the Butt Pack but I lean toward it either being a repro to fool collectors or a private purchase item for sell at surplus stores. I do not think it was ever an issue item or experimental.

I am not familiar with this particular version of the Butt Pack but I lean toward it either being a repro to fool collectors or a private purchase item for sell at surplus stores. I do not think it was ever an issue item or experimental.

thats my feeling, too...

thanks for your opinion, maybe there are more collectors, who have the same item and can tell us more

regards

craig_pickrall

I think the selling price tells us what the general collector market thinks about it. The price would have been in the $700 to $800 range if people thought it was real.

i'm with criag p. the fabric does'nt look correct nor the webbing on it,run the other way looks like a repo :thumbdown: ....vince g. 11B Inf...

i'm with criag p. the fabric does'nt look correct nor the webbing on it,run the other way looks like a repo :thumbdown: ....vince g. 11B Inf...

As 11b inf has pointed out...the dead giveaway that it is a commercial copy is the fact it does not have resin-impregnated webbing. Look at the images of the USMC M-1967 field pack (or any M-1967 nylon equipments), the nylon webbing has a tendancy to turn a brownish color from age. This is due to the resin-impregnation used to make the webbing "stiff" as to not "slip" in the buckles.

Due to the low numbers of the USMC M-1967 field pack...and the subsequent price it demands...there are bound to be better reproductions begin to hit the market sooner or later. I must say the one pictured in the auction is one of the best repros I have ever seen. The ones that came out of South Korea ten years ago were sub-par and never featured the rear webbing with snap-fasteners (to attach to the rear straps of the suspenders). But, the one thing that will probably always be the giveaway will be the lack of resin-impregnated webbing.

Craig put together nice reference thread on the M1967 and later nylon butt packs:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=9623

I have one that is marked like post # 37. I bought it at the clothing sales store at Ft Richardson in 86 or 87. I used it instead of my issued one( clean for inspections).When I put the Christmas decorations away I will get the correct stamp marks