USMC 2nd Raider Batt. Vet. ID'ed Kabar

Theorywolf

Well, here is what it is all about! Found an entire article of Hubbard summing up his days as a Raider Marine in the Raider association newspaper. I found a whole list and will find as much as I can. In the end, it is this type of artifact that has so much historical connection and info that keeps me in the collecting hobby!! I would take this Ka-Bar over any number of non-ID'ed marine helmets and covers. For me, this is what it is all about!! I could not download this article so I took a few photos, especially of his narrative on landing at Bougainville. Hubbard was with F company, 2nd Raider Battalion.

post-576-1324943075.jpg

Photo from 1998 of the Raider news letter of Brig. General Hubbard taking sand at Guadalcanal to bring back to a PFC of the raiders. Also, the next photo by hubbard of the landing beaches at the 'Canal.

post-576-1324943560.jpg

Pretty impressive array of medals also! Silver Star, LOM w V device, and DFC!

Yep, he was a very impressive marine! What I enjoy is the fact that I have just contacted one of the men of the units he lead and this guy has a book! This is how I learn a lot of history is starting with the artifact and then going from there to what is really important, the history!

Cheers,

Mike

blitzkrieg gsd

What a great piece for sure what else can you say about it. And to get lucky enough to get it wow I can't believe a collector would sell it. So you got extra lucky is that his sword that you had a picture of there also? You only had one pic of it so I didn't know it looked nice.

What a great piece for sure what else can you say about it. And to get lucky enough to get it wow I can't believe a collector would sell it. So you got extra lucky is that his sword that you had a picture of there also? You only had one pic of it so I didn't know it looked nice.

Thanks guys! Yes, the sword is with the larger collection. The flag sold just before I got the Ka-Bar.

Cheers,

Mike

blitzkrieg gsd
Thanks guys! Yes, the sword is with the larger collection. The flag sold just before I got the Ka-Bar.

Cheers,

Mike

Was you able to get the collection that included the sword by chance. Ether way it a nice Raider group I would give it a honored place in my collection. Great score.

Was you able to get the collection that included the sword by chance. Ether way it a nice Raider group I would give it a honored place in my collection. Great score.

Actually, I only have the Knife and the insignia. He did sell the flag, but he has not sold the other items as yet. I'm not sure he will!

Mike

• 10 months later...

Thought I would place this Ka-Bar story at the top for the month's recognition of Bogainville! Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers,

Mike

• 2 years later...
ViewfinderGyrene

Beautiful knife, what an amazing service history!

Should you be interested, his postwar General Officer's visor cover is up now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Post-WWII-USMC-Marine-Generals-visor-immaculate-condition-/221740170969?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a0be7ed9

Thanks for the wonderful details to compliment the pics of the knife!

VFG

• 1 month later...