USMC 2nd Raider Batt. Vet. ID'ed Kabar

Theorywolf

What a Christmas gift! Some of you may remember back in March,one of our honored USMC vet collector's presented items from 2nd Raider Battalion Vet, Lt. (later in carrer, Brig. General) Jay W. Hubbard. There are a couple of photos from the medals below. At the time he stated that he had a few of Hubbard's knives. I got his Ka-Bar, and an old decal of the raiders, today with his name etched in the scabbard. Jay Hubbard was a 3 war Marine. I have the link to his Arlington Cemetery file. I bought his Ka-Bar that he used in the Raiders at Bougainville, then with the 4th marines at Guam and Okinawa. He was a Lt. platoon leader at both Bougainville and Guam, and Company Commander of the 4th regiment weapons company at Okinawa. I have found some great shots of Hubbard visiting the Pacific and also has a shot of him during the war at Guadalcanal! Can't download them as yet. There is a USMC museum in California named after Hubbard. But here is the link and some photos! Proud to get this one! Will be getting his files from the Archive!

Happy Holidays,

MIke

Jay W. Hubbard was born San Francisco, California, 16 June 1922; enlisted in Marine Corps out of Compton Jr College 20 August 1940; commissioned as infantry officer 2 November 1942; retired 1 December 1972.

JW Hubbard PHOTO

From Private to sergeant on battleship Mississippi 1940-42 in Pacific, Caribbean and North Atlantic. As infantry lieutenant during WW II, served as a platoon leader in 2d Marine Raider Battalion on Bougainville operation, then as platoon leader in Weapons Company, 4th Marine Regiment for Emirau and Guam operations and company executive officer in Okinawa campaign.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jwhubbard.htm

post-576-1324772440.jpg

Please check the link I provided if you have not already. Jay Hubbard spent half his career as a Marine Aviation Fighter Pilot after WW II and flew 165 combat missions in both Korea and Vietnam. He was CO of the 4th Marine Aviation Wing during his career!

Cheers,

Mike

Hey, just got in contact with a fellow Raider buddy of Jay W. Hubbard. He had a few photos of the Raiders at Guam together at the end of the battle. See a photo below of Hubbard after liberating a case of Sake! These guys look happy after finishing on Guam!

Cheers,

Mike

post-576-1324937972.jpg