Photo of USMC Sherman on Iwo Jima

Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Everyone,

I came across this photo today clearly showing the defensive measures taken by USMC tankers in the Pacific Theater to protect their vulnerable hatches.

I've seen references to this in several personal accounts and publications, but this is the best photo I've ever seen of the use of penny nails in a combat zone.

usmcphoto109641

post-2322-1324630195.jpg

Photo caption: Iwo Jima, February 21, 1945. Burrowed in the Sand: A Marine medium tank that couldn't navigate the soft volcanic sand on Iwo, is track deep in a pit off the beach. This loose sand of the island proved an asset to the Japanese defenders.

Official U.S. Marine Corps Photo [USMC Archives Box 5, Folder 3]

Salvage Sailor

Looks like concrete.

In the photo I posted, those are wooden boards attached to the tank hull.

Both methods were counter-measures to thwart magnetic anti-tank mines.

They used a lot of methods to uparmor their tanks. The Japanese 47mm guns were perfectly capable of knocking out a Sherman and were relatively easy to conceal.

post-78-1324681242.jpg

post-78-1324681248.jpg

Interesting looking Photos there of the Sherman Tank's great Pictures :thumbsup:

Google Sherman tank on Iwo and check out all the photos. I think Iwo may have been the most photographed battle in the Pacific. And decent quality photos too. I have several Sherman photos from that battle alone.

Not to mention those bastards fully loaded with explosives running towards the Shermans. :(

Or trying to climb on top to behead or stab the occupants.

Erwin

Google Sherman tank on Iwo and check out all the photos. I think Iwo may have been the most photographed battle in the Pacific. And decent quality photos too. I have several Sherman photos from that battle alone.

Hey Jim

Thanks for the Information there it is appricated on this side for sure.

i sure will check that out and have a look at those photos Thanks Buddie :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tomás.

I built an Iwo 5th TB Sherman a few months back, and a GREAT reference is Tank Warfare on Iwo Jima. The book is jam-packed with photos and color profiles of 3rd, 4th, and 5th TB Shermans, each battalion used various measures to protect their tanks against Japanese anti-tank guns and magnetic mines. Here's a quick pic of my Sherman, it's got all the mods typical of 5th TB: penny nails on the turret hatches, cages over the driver's hatches, concrete/wood planking on the hull and bogies, and wading exhausts. Enjoy! Semper, Ski....

post-1867-1324743384.jpeg

Thats some great photos and kudos for your model building skills magnificent model. The nails kept the enemy soldiers from accessing or attaching items to the tops of tanks the weakest armor is on top (I think)

Great pics!

Is it just me - or does anybody else prefer the plain jane look of the M4A1 Shermans used by the Marines at Cape Gloucester before they added all these crazy anti-personal defences?

-Steve

Thanks for the great photos guys. I had never even heard of the concrete on the sides and had only seen tracks welded on for added armor.

I have an armored 'Iterphone' for a Sherman and it's heavier than you could imagine. I can barely lift it.

These were mounted on the rear of Shermans for soldiers outside to communicate with the tank crew.

The weight of this thing gives you a idea of how much a whole Sherman must have weighed.

(No, I have no idea why I bought it - seemed like the thing to do at the time)

1Medium-5.jpg

2Medium-4.jpg

3Medium-4.jpg

4Medium-3.jpg

8AMedium.jpg

6Medium-2.jpg

9AMedium.jpg

You'd have to be sure to find a good stud in the wall first! :lol:

It's been sitting in the corner of my man cave for years. I've thought about selling it, but I'd about have to sell it to someone in person. I can't even imagine how much it would cost to ship it, and I'd have to make a wooden crate to hold it! Impulse buying at Militaria shows because something looks cool doesn't always work out so well.

Found this photo in an Iwo P51 pilot's stuff. Another of those Marine Shermans. This one took a pounding

The wood/concrete bit was to stop magnetic mines I believe and the nails on the hatches to keep the bad guys from trying to open hatches and drop grenades in.

DeadIwoSherman.jpg

Great photo! Thanks!

My guess is this one was a victim of a mine. The Japanese used aerial bombs that proved devastating to any tank.

Great photo! Thanks!

My guess is this one was a victim of a mine. The Japanese used aerial bombs that proved devastating to any tank.

Also looks like it was then stripped. The engine appears to be gone, for one.