SGT Harold Woltz, 2/505

Allan H.

Today is the 67th Anniversary of the death of Sergeant Harold Woltz, Mortar Platoon, HHC, 2nd Battalion of the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 82nd Airborne Division. SGT Woltz had been with the 505th PIR since the unit was formed and had served under then Lt Col James Gavin. SGT Woltz was a graduate of Dearborn High School in Dearborn, Michigan where he enlisted in the US Army shortly after graduation.

SGT Woltz served with the 505th and the 82nd A/B Division through North Africa, Sicily and Italy. Woltz made his third combat parachute jump into Normandy on June 6th, 1944 and his fourth combat jump into the Netherlands. When the Germans started their winter offensive, the 82nd A/B was rushed to defensive positions at Trois Ponts (Three Bridges), Belgium. It was here that SGT Woltz met his fate. Sergeant Woltz had deployed two of his soldiers out to a listening post approximately 100 yeards in front of the defensive lines. When the Germans attacked, PFC MacDonald, one of the two in the OP, called back to the SGT that they were being overrun. SGT Woltz picked up his rifle and ran forward as the Germans charged. These were not your normal Wehrmacht troops. No, they were combat hardened members of the 1st SS Panzer Division, The LAH. Woltz lit into the enemy with ferocity as he ordered the two paratroopers in the OP to withdraw. PFC. MacDonald stated to his platoon leader, Lt Cooper, that he observed SGT Woltz being led back behind the German advance by two armed guards. He also stated that the two in the OP would have surely been killed or taken prisoner if Woltz hadn't acted with such bravery.

Lt. Cooper wrote a letter home to Woltz's parents that their only child had been taken prisoner by the Germans and that they should expect to be hearing from the Red Cross soon. He also mentioned that SGT Woltz had been recommended for the Silver Star for his valor. Of course, the Red Cross would not be calling upon the Woltz family. You see, Harold met his fate in a ravine near Trois Ponts where he was beaten to death by his captors. It would be three weeks after the battle when US forces would find Woltz's remains. They would find that he had been beaten to death with rifle butts by those SS men who had taken him prisoner.

Harold Woltz's remains are located in a cemetery on the west side of Detroit, and under a plain serviceman's headstone.

Today, I want to remember SGT Woltz and all of the others of the Greatest Generation who didn't live to see Christmas or home.

Allan

• 3 years later...

Today is the 71st anniversary of SGT Harold Woltz's death at the hands of soldiers of the 1st SS Panzer Division and Trois Ponts, Belgium. I've attached an image of his headstone.

May he and his brothers who didn't make it home, rest in peace.

Allan

post-151-0-16628000-1450712839.jpg

Many years ago, I had the opportunity to find SGT Woltz's grave in Dearborne, MI. it was a cold, wintery day very close to the anniversary of his death. I actually had to dig through about of foot of snow to be able to get to his grave. A Detroit area historian, Doug T., sent the image of his headstone to me taken without the snow. He also went by Dearborne High School and sent me a photo of Harold as a high school senior.

That photo is attached.

Allan

post-151-0-30822500-1450712896.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great info on Woltz! I've researched the murder of eight to eleven paratroopers from HQ/2/505 and 505/E on the 21st of December 1944 (a mixed bazooka section of eight paratroopers and at least two or three others) and I would be very interested in your sources and additional info. Woltz was buried with twelve others in consecutive temporary graves in late January 1945. All these men were reported missing in the 21st of December 1944 and it seems most of them were murdered.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Rest in Peace SGT Harold Woltz, on this the 74th anniversary of your making the supreme sacrifice.

God bless you and all who gave their todays for our tomorrows.

Allan

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

It is hard to believe that today marks the 79th anniversary of the death of Sergeant Woltz. May he, and all of those who have laid their lives on the altar of liberty rest in peace.