How do you bring home that militaria buying dough?

carbinephalen

25 years in law enforcement and still going strong. Some of my best finds for militaria have been on midnight shift the nights before trash pick ups! Plus having a buddy that drives a trash truck also helps..amazing what he finds for me. But the number one thing is simply letting people know that you collect.

Chunky Monkey

Work for the state of PA for 21 years ~ fisrt 15 years doing sales tax audits and the last 6 working for unemployment compensation. Wife gives me an allowance and I attend auctions. Some stuff I keep some I sell.

25 years in law enforcement and still going strong. Some of my best finds for militaria have been on midnight shift the nights before trash pick ups! Plus having a buddy that drives a trash truck also helps..amazing what he finds for me. But the number one thing is simply letting people know that you collect.

What do you find in trash. How can you tell there is military items?

SWMDO, I don't look through the trash cans I just look to see what laying around them. I've gotten several old footlockers that way, a few helmets and a Vietnam bush hat. My buddy that works for the trash company finds more than me. He keeps an eye out for me. I shudder to think how much Militaria goes to the dumps all over the U.S.

vostoktrading
SWMDO, I don't look through the trash cans I just look to see what laying around them. I've gotten several old footlockers that way, a few helmets and a Vietnam bush hat. My buddy that works for the trash company finds more than me. He keeps an eye out for me. I shudder to think how much Militaria goes to the dumps all over the U.S.

I sure agree with that! I've found things left out for the trash as I drove by.

I got in the deal late on a bunch of stuff (found by other people) left out in a footlocker last year from the family of a vet who was in CBI and stayed on for the George Marshall attempt after the war to reconcile the kuomintang and communists. It should have been kept together as a group but by the time I got wind of it I learned that a leather jacket with blood chit was sold, gear was sold, some patches were sold, documents were thrown away!I ended up with some nice patches. A shame. Collection gone to the four winds and some items dumped to boot.

A full named medal group (including US, Vietnam, Nationalist Chinese, Thailand, Japanese, South Korean high awards) to an Air Force 4 star General who passed away in Hawaii was found recently in a dumpster. It's still for sale in an antique shop here in Honolulu for an astronomical price.

A friend of mine saw uniforms and insignia from a vet of the 442nd RCT dumped into a rent-a-dumpster across the street from his house while he was reading his newspaper. My friend is usually a very upright, law abiding, old style christian gentleman who normally would never even think about doing what he did, dumpster diving, later that evening to recover a box full of Italian made DI's as well as Ike jacket and various patches and documents.

I also shudder to think about what gets by and goes to the dump... So sad. Jon.

Technical Writer for a defense contractor. I write/edit/maintain Operator & Maintenance Technical Manuals. The book I have on my desk right now is the OPERATOR'S MANUAL, LIGHTWEIGHT COMPANY MORTAR 60MM, M224.

post-9599-1325699544.jpg

Roger that.

Years ago I bought stuff from a guy who ran a dozer at a landfill.He would find all sorts of stuff not just military.One day he spotted a canvas looking box off to the side of the tracks as he was plowing trash.He stopped and picked it up.It was a case and scope for a Japanese sniper rifle and mint condition.He has found helmets,uniforms,bayonets and several guns.Modern and old.

I have a whole picture frame full of Civil War-GAR stuff.My dad worked for the city for a few years.They were tipping cans one morning into the back of the truck and out falls this cigarbox and spilling out was the GAR encampment ribbons,calling cards,badges etc.The hose they were at is the local funeral home.it was built by a Civil War veteran.been a funeral home as long as I can remember.It was being remodeled by the owners.I assume they found this in the attic and pitched it.He didnt have time to look into the bags on the curb.THe driver wanted to get going with the route(more like to coffe break).He use to find a lot of odds and ends but when the city started mandating all trash be bagged they wouldnt see what was being tossed.

I have a whole picture frame full of Civil War-GAR stuff.My dad worked for the city for a few years.They were tipping cans one morning into the back of the truck and out falls this cigarbox and spilling out was the GAR encampment ribbons,calling cards,badges etc.The hose they were at is the local funeral home.it was built by a Civil War veteran.been a funeral home as long as I can remember.It was being remodeled by the owners.I assume they found this in the attic and pitched it.He didnt have time to look into the bags on the curb.THe driver wanted to get going with the route(more like to coffe break).He use to find a lot of odds and ends but when the city started mandating all trash be bagged they wouldnt see what was being tossed.

Wow, quite the find, Doyler! I personally have never found any items in the garbage, but sure do wish I knew someone who worked at a junkyard.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules here, but below is a post on WRF from a fella whose family owns a junk yard in New York. The things that turn up would make a collector cringe, especially since someone else considered it trash.

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attic-old-ba...-garbage-78031/

IIRC, we had a thread running about a year or so ago about the militaria "treasures" which various members had turned up in the trash. Some of the stuff they actually found by chance was quite remarkable! :w00t:

I always wondered who did that! :thumbsup:

Technical Writer for a defense contractor. I write/edit/maintain Operator & Maintenance Technical Manuals. The book I have on my desk right now is the OPERATOR'S MANUAL, LIGHTWEIGHT COMPANY MORTAR 60MM, M224.

post-9599-1325699544.jpg

I always wondered who did that! :thumbsup:

Yep someone's got to do it. Other books I've done include a mobile kitchen (Containerized Kitchen), forward repair system (FRS), and a mobil fuel testing lab (PQAS-E).

I'm a land surveyor for a city in northeastern Tennessee. I've been surveying for about 18 years now, 16 of those with the City (I'm 47). I have 13 more years before I can retire, but who's counting. ;) I really enjoy the profession and if I had to take an indoor/desk job I would probably lose what little of my mind I have left! That said, it seems that as the years go by my tolerance of extreme heat and cold is getting less and less.

Someone asked me the other day whether I preferred to work in very hot temps or very cold temps. I told them that the City doesn't mind if I put more clothes on....but they get really mad if I start taking them off! :D

Kevin

We all use -10s every week (if not every day), and no one stops to think about how they come into existence. Cool stuff.

Yep someone's got to do it. Other books I've done include a mobile kitchen (Containerized Kitchen), forward repair system (FRS), and a mobil fuel testing lab (PQAS-E).

• 2 months later...
carbinephalen

I can't wait until 10 o'clock tonight when I change my occupation on here from working at the ambulance service to being a full time lottery winner

:w00t:

Don't worry....if everybody keeps their fingers crossed for me I'll share the wealth around! :twothumbup: I promise!

I can't wait until 10 o'clock tonight when I change my occupation on here from working at the ambulance service to being a full time lottery winner

OH $hit..... I knew there was something I forgot to do today! :pinch:

carbinephalen
I do Don Draper's job... From Mad Men... At least that's what I tell the ladies.

Hahaha, classic

(Good show too :thumbsup: )

I'm a draftsman. We do that with computers now days, but over the past 36 years I've done mechanical drafting on the drawing board, then several years as a technical illustrator. Prior to that, I was a heavy construction equipment parts man and later a mechanic. Nine more months to retirement! :thumbsup: