How do you bring home that militaria buying dough?

carbinephalen

Please say there is another engineer out there, or am I all alone? We usually are!!!

- Ron

Okay, here's another engineer. I'm not afraid of the government keeping records on me, spent many years in the Army and worked in nuclear weapons, was a COMSEC custodian (still keep the paper work where I transfered all the nuc codes), and eventually had one of those security clearances above Top Secret. They know all about me. Retired and now run my own small engineer company (service connected, disabled veteran owned thanks to the Army) doing various environmental work. Started collecting when my son returned from Afghanistan and gave me a Martini-Henry Mark II (think of the movie Zulu) from a weapons cache they found. Eventually went over to just collecting US Militaria, but still have the Martini-Henry and my father's Mauser K98k he picked up in France in 1944.

I am an Audio/Video tech at a college. I also shoot, produce & edit a lot of educational videos there.

In addition to that salaried position, since getting my masters, I also teach several classes in communication, mass media, and video production. I would like to teach full time, as then I could get my summers off to hunt for more stuff! (The guidance counselors never tell you about that...)

In my free time I run my military shop and sell on ebay. and all the while trying to keep my wonderful wife happy as I can! No wonder I am so tired. :w00t:

shop_pic.jpg

Okay.This is where I spend all my time when not working in the Pawn Business.I get to play with and Buy-Sell-Trade Militaria everyday.I get to Keep what I like and move the rest along.It is not a Bad place to Hang out.Robert

Mortgage loan officer for a local credit union. Please don't hold that against me though, we're the "good guys". Never did sub-prime loans and we never took Tarp money! :)

Bryan

vintageproductions
shop_pic.jpg

Okay.This is where I spend all my time when not working in the Pawn Business.I get to play with and Buy-Sell-Trade Militaria everyday.I get to Keep what I like and move the rest along.It is not a Bad place to Hang out.Robert

Robert-So this is where you retired to after your male stripping job?

Bob

Dave,

When you get to be my age....those are the ONLY stories you can remember!! :lol:

Jack's Son - did you work as a security officer at Altamont? ( :lol: )

Hells-Angels-beat-Meredit-001.jpg

I work in the immermets...er...interwebs...ok...I work in IT managing and supporting corporate intranet platforms. I have been in this line of work since 2000 when I crossed over from sales and marketing management for a marine manufacturer (my first employer post-naval service). I've been employed by a large construction company, software development firms (in the wireless industry) and a very large financial institution (the largest one ever to fail). I now am employed by the 2nd largest commercial property real estate management firm in the world.

I am the sole provider for my family so money is always tight leaving me chump change to fund my militaria buying. I have to keep reminding myself that I am not a real collector - that my focus is only on recreating familial uniforms for display. Along the way, I do pick up an item or two that catches my eye.

I also focus on anything that has to do with the ships I served aboard (one in particular that holds a special place in my heart) where I try to amass (almost) anything connected to them.

Robert-So this is where you retired to after your male stripping job?

Bob

Bob,As the self proclaimed title of Largest Military Dealer on the East Coast-weight(354 lbs.).They paid me not to Strip. :lol: Robert

Did a quick 20 years and 26 days in the Navy. Retired and went to work for DOD at the shipyards in Bremerton. Been there almost 10 years now. I travel all over the planet fixing ships and have the opportunity to peruse anywhere for anything I can pick up. Found a grunch of WW2 Japanese medals earlier this year in Yokosuka and picked up a Finnish Air-force Hi power in San Diego last fall. The paycheck goes to the Mrs., but the per-deim is my mad money.

I guess I ought to go ahead and add my profession into this thread. I am the Quality, Environment, Health and Safety (QEHS) Manager for Cargotec Solutions' Ottawa, KS manufacturing plant. The factory has been in operation since 1943. We are known for these one man cab semi tractors known throughout the world as Ottawa Trucks. You might not know these babies, but anyone who works in the shipping business does! I am proud of the quality of these work horses and even more proud of the fact that they are manufactured from parts that are sourced from North America.

We also build 44,000 pound lift capacity "medium" forklifts and Truck Mounted Forklifts. I'm proud of the quaity of these beasts too!

Allan

post-151-1324656865.jpg

I'm a low voltage contractor, specializing in Fire Alarm, Smoke Control, Chemical Suppression, Access Control and CCTV systems, Synchronized Clocks, Structured Cabling, Nurse Call, VOIP telecommunication systems, and Audio Video systems in the commercial and government arenas; 15 Years in the business. Before that my wife and I owned and operated a Fly-fishing a travel business out of Northern Cal and my 1st career was owning a Jewelry Manufacturing business.

Too much fun all the way around lol:

I guess I ought to go ahead and add my profession into this thread. I am the Quality, Environment, Health and Safety (QEHS) Manager for Cargotec Solutions' Ottawa, KS manufacturing plant. The factory has been in operation since 1943. We are known for these one man cab semi tractors known throughout the world as Ottawa Trucks. You might not know these babies, but anyone who works in the shipping business does! I am proud of the quality of these work horses and even more proud of the fact that they are manufactured from parts that are sourced from North America.

We also build 44,000 pound lift capacity "medium" forklifts and Truck Mounted Forklifts. I'm proud of the quaity of these beasts too!

Allan

Very cool Allan! I had no idea there was a truck named after the capitol of Canada! :thumbsup: :lol:

Rick

I work in auto salvage for a major insurer. I primarily do compliance auditing but occasionally get to go to the auction and sell the wrecked cars.

Robert, I spent many a weekend hanging out in your shop from 1992-94. I still have a lot of what I bought from you. Seems like only yesterday.

As for me, I spend my time driving around a rural county in Indiana, mostly trying to keep the deer population from conflicting with the driving population.

post-32676-1324662058.jpg

Robert, I spent many a weekend hanging out in your shop from 1992-94. I still have a lot of what I bought from you. Seems like only yesterday.

As for me, I spend my time driving around a rural county in Indiana, mostly trying to keep the deer population from conflicting with the driving population.

Hi Matt.I see you have not changed and have kept that same smile you always had. :lol: Good to hear from you,Robert

I own a 120 person real estate agency in Maine, "Realty of Maine" Take a look at our website and look for Maine real estate. Back in the '60's worked on Nuclear Subs in Groton. Dave

www.realtyofmaine.com

22 years in the Army, and my retirement & VA goes to my "basics", ie...mortgage, utilities, cable etc.. for play money and truck payments, I have worked as a DOD contractor in advising, instructing and private security. Both stateside and overseas.

I hear you there I am a city carrier but am a newer employee so who knows what will happen.

Brandyn

US Postal Service, at least for a while longer...? :nerv0003:

My full-time job is handling liability investigations for a major insurance carrier and paneling arbitrations between other carriers. Over the past 6 months or so, we’ve been working so much overtime, my paycheck usually has several hundred bucks extra each pay period (the downside is almost all requests for time off are rejected and I’m at the office often more than 11 hours every day I’m there), a situation that won’t be going away until next summer at the earliest.

I also do writing and cartoons for various magazines from time to time, but that doesn’t pay all that much. It’s just something I enjoy that I get paid for. Occasionally I get a consulting gig for either a book, TV or movie project. Right now, I’m in a holding pattern for a documentary that will get running after the new year as well as a Hollywood movie that is currently on hold (and honestly, might not ever be made)…

Disability retired from the Air Force in Sep 08 after 23 years (17 1/2 years of Active Duty time, 5 1/2 years Reserve time), disability retired from Civil Service in Sep 09, was an Air Reserve Technician, plus I get VA disability, and SSI Disability. So whatever money is left over from bill paying and the yard-apes holding out their hands I get to use to buy toys.

Mike

USAF Retired

Spent 9 years as a Ironworker out of local 55 but after my 2008 deployment I made a career change amd now I'm a Federal Technician at FMS #17 Camp Perry. About to start my 8th year in the Ohio National Guard and currently at Camp Shelby Waiting on a plane to go to Afganistan as the Motor Sergeant for HHC 37th IBCT. Also do part time security at concerts for the past 15 years. not a bad gig getting paid to go to concerts.

I'm a artist at a greeting card company. At one time I was able to ocasionally get freelance to pay for my collecting. Sending a couple of kids through colege slowed me up a bit, now I'm getting ready for retirement. Still, I've been lucky and over the years have collected a huge amount of stuff. Half of it is american and the rest being british, canadian, german and japanese.

vostoktrading

Firefighter. Just made 25 years. I'm enjoying it so much I think I'll max out at 32.

I also try to sell a little militaria on the side to pay for the things I like to collect.

Jon.