Why I hate Pawn Stars

TrenchfootJoe66

You are correct, it is sad. I can somewhat tolerate Pawn Stars and American Pickers even though it is getting harder, I cant stand the "wars" shows of bidding. The people in the shows are just so low class it isnt funny and most behave like children.

Philip

I cant stand those wars shows either, like who wants to watch a staged eBay auction happen on TV.

-dave

Thats too funny, was he ever on TV?

Nope, he said they never could get what they were looking for, he couldn't go with their script because he's just not a grumpy old coot. He also said they filmed their 'surprise' arrival at his place several times. He told me the episode that did air showed another guy just down the road from him, though. I've never seen it.

They came to thesmall town I live in last year, but I've never seen that one either.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Pawn Stars is just a bunch of hooey and made up stuff. It's all acting the part and are these so called 'experts' really 'experts' as I have seen them make mistakes in what the items are worth. I guess it's just entertainment. Most of the shows like that are dumb and the TV guru's need to get back to what people really want to watch and that goes for these so called reality shows. My eyes hurt watching.!

Bill

• 2 months later...

Back in November I got an English made Jump wing second hand from the "expert" older fellow that runs the museum. His name escapes me right now. Anyway, a local swap meet vendor gets shoe boxes of smalls from him and I got the wings for 3 bucks, Not the best shape but real Firmin with three battle stars.

• 2 weeks later...
stealthytyler

I love Pawn Stars. Its a great show to just hang out, have a beer and watch. YES, it is TV. But these guys run a real business too. At the end of the day, it is a PAWN SHOP, people that go to pawn shops need money fast and will sell their items for little to nothing just to get a buck. I would low ball all day knowing people just wanted a fast sell too. Besides, he is a reseller... if you cant double your money, its not worth it. My folks have been in the dealing business for over 30 years. The only downside to these shows is that when folks come into their shop, they think they can bargain like how they see on TV. Its pretty annoying to say the least.

• 8 months later...

I watch the show but try not to take it serious.....What surprised me was a recent show in which Rick paid like $4500 for a small CBI Flying Tiger banner.....It was attributed but the guy wasn't a pilot but a flight engineer.....Bodes

I watch the show but try not to take it serious.....What surprised me was a recent show in which Rick paid like $4500 for a small CBI Flying Tiger banner.....It was attributed but the guy wasn't a pilot but a flight engineer.....Bodes

REAL AVG stuff - , pilot or not, is very rare and can go for BIG dollars.

I love Pawn Stars. Its a great show to just hang out, have a beer and watch. YES, it is TV. But these guys run a real business too. At the end of the day, it is a PAWN SHOP, people that go to pawn shops need money fast and will sell their items for little to nothing just to get a buck. I would low ball all day knowing people just wanted a fast sell too. Besides, he is a reseller... if you cant double your money, its not worth it. My folks have been in the dealing business for over 30 years. The only downside to these shows is that when folks come into their shop, they think they can bargain like how they see on TV. Its pretty annoying to say the least.

Stealthytyler, I agree with you 100%. I watch Pawn Stars every now and then and do enjoy it because I know the stuff on the side is staged for entertainment and that they are often playing charicatures of themselves (ex. Chumlee). However, people do bring some great stuff in that gets put on the show. As for the so called low balling, people don't have to accept the offer. If you want top dollar for your stuff, you don't bring it to a pawn shop. They pay half of what its worth to cover their costs of doing business,make a profit, and act as a sort of middle man and spend the time to find a buyer who will pay retail to have said item in their collection.

REAL AVG stuff - , pilot or not, is very rare and can go for BIG dollars.

That I do not doubt.....I just cannot believe Rick didn't try to get it cheaper.....You know, use the I have to frame it and display it and than wait for the right person speech.....The guy who brought it in found it at a flea market, so likely paid very little....I wasn't sure it was authentic until they showed it close up and you could see the wear....Than I figured it was good....Bodes

How ironic, the CBI Flying Tiger banner episode is on right now at this moment

Yeah it was on last week and is being re-aired tonight....I just happened to run across this thread and decided to post my amazement at Rick....Bodes

Sigh... I remember when the History Channel split off into what it is now (simply called "History"), and all of the "history" related stuff moved over to the "Military Channel" (now called the "American Heroes Channel"). I haven't hardly watched "History" since then...

Prior to 2008, you could sit down, turn the TV onto The History Channel, and sit there all day watching historical documentaries. It was great for a history nerd like myself. Sigh. Come to think of it... I haven't hardly watched ANY cable/satellite television since then...

Honestly, it's all entertainment on tv or at the movies (even the so-called 'educational programming'); if you can't suspend disbelief once in a while to enjoy life then these types of programs must really be grating. Don't look to the telly to learn something new and it won't bother you.

suwanneetrader

Stealthytyler, I agree with you 100%. I watch Pawn Stars every now and then and do enjoy it because I know the stuff on the side is staged for entertainment and that they are often playing charicatures of themselves (ex. Chumlee). However, people do bring some great stuff in that gets put on the show. As for the so called low balling, people don't have to accept the offer. If you want top dollar for your stuff, you don't bring it to a pawn shop. They pay half of what its worth to cover their costs of doing business,make a profit, and act as a sort of middle man and spend the time to find a buyer who will pay retail to have said item in their collection.

What is "UNBELIEVABLE" with this show (a lot is but this is not real Pawn Shop Business) Customer says "I want $250.00" Rick says "Do you mind if my expert looks at it ?" So called expert says it is worth $2,000.00, Rick tells seller then Seller wants $2,000.00. Rick then 4 times sellers first asking price and pays $1,000.00 for it. I DON'T THINK SO. Richard

I've done business in "real pawn shops" and it ain't nothing like this show. HOWEVER... Pawn Stars is one of my guilty pleasures, so I really could care less if it's not realistic, correct, or if Chumlee is actually the village idiot he portrays, it's just entertainment.

That one he stole.....I hope it was staged, because if not, it annoys the sh1t out of me that the guy would sell it that cheap.

Ian

What is "UNBELIEVABLE" with this show (a lot is but this is not real Pawn Shop Business) Customer says "I want $250.00" Rick says "Do you mind if my expert looks at it ?" So called expert says it is worth $2,000.00, Rick tells seller then Seller wants $2,000.00. Rick then 4 times sellers first asking price and pays $1,000.00 for it. I DON'T THINK SO.

I didn't see the episode you mentioned but if that's what happened, yeah, I agree there's no way it'd work like that in real life.