Remembering Pearl Harbor - NC to Sgt. Thomas Hailey - December 7, 1941

bobgee

Time passes and the fanfare fades with the passing of the people who lived these historical events. On this day remember one Marine who distinguished himself that day while serving aboard the battleship U.S.S. Oklahoma while thinking of the thousands who would later serve and die for their country. Here is the citation for the Navy Cross he was awarded:

The President of the United States takes pleasure in present-
ing the NAVY CROSS to

SERGEANT THOMAS E. HAILEY, UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS

for service as set forth in the following

CITATION:
“For prompt and efficient action, extraordinary
courage and disregard of his own safety during the
attack on the Fleet in Pearl Harbor, Territory of
Hawaii, by Japanese forces on December 7, 1941. Upon
the U.S.S. OKLAHOMA capsizing within ten minutes after
the beginning of the attack, Sergeant Hailey swam to
the U.S.S. MARYLAND, alongside of which the U.S.S.
OKLAHOMA was moored, and from there assisted materially
for a short time in the rescue of the U.S.S. OKLAHOMA
crew. He then, on his own initiative, assisted in
manning an anti-aircraft gun of the U.S.S. MARYLAND in
a most efficient manner, despite the severe enemy bomb-
ing and strafing and the fact that he had previously
had no experience in the use of that particular type
gun. Later, upon arrival at the Naval Air Station,
Pearl Harbor, Sergeant Hailey clothed only in his under-
wear and armed with a rifle, volunteered and went up in
an airplane that was leaving on a search mission where
he remained for about five hours, returning to the Air
Station at about 4:30 that afternoon.”
For the President,
S/ Frank Knox
Secretary of the Navy

Hailey_NC_Pic_reduced_size.JPGHailey_NC_Pair_Obv_reduced_size.JPGHailey_NC_REV_CU_Reduced_size.JPG

Claude Larkin:

The strafers who singled out cars moving along the roads that led to Ewa proved no respecter of persons. MAG-21's commanding officer, Lieutenant Colonel Claude A. "Sheriff" Larkin, en route from Honolulu, was about a mile from Ewa in his 1930 Plymouth when a Zero shot at him. He momentarily abandoned the car for the relative sanctuary of a nearby ditch, not even bothering to turn off the engine, and then, as the strafer roared out of sight, sprinted back to the vehicle, jumped back in, and sped on. He reached his destination at 0805 -- just in time to be machine gunned again by one of Admiral Nagumo's fighters. Soon thereafter, Larkin's good fortune at remaining unwounded amidst the attack ran out, as he suffered several penetrating wounds, the most painful of which included one on the top of the middle finger of his left hand and another on the front of his lower left leg just above the top of his shoe. Refusing immediate medical attention, though, Larkin continued to direct the defense of Ewa Field.

post-248-1197066482.jpg

• 11 months later...

All - Tomorrow is the 67th Anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Kurt S. has posted some fine groupings which has prompted me to resurrect mine which I showed last year.

REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR! That was the War Cry I learned as a kid. Let's not forget it....ever.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee salute.gif

I have no relic to show, but I have some great memories of a friend of our family. When you are remembering the veterans of Pearl Harbor, please remember Roy Bonham. Gunner's Mate 3rd Class Bonham was aboard the Oklahoma when the attack occured. With limited ammunition he manned an anti-aircraft gun.

Roy not only survived the attack at Pearl, but he was also aboard the USS Helena when it was sunk. He had more than a lifetime's worth of experiences in just a few short years. He passed away in March of 1995.

While I have no medal groupings or other artifacts, here are links to two interviews I conducted with Pearl Harbor veterans that have been posted previously on this forum:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=12984

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=13062

Dave,

you are doing a much more valuable service which is " collecting stories " . These men wont be around much longer .

Kurt

Dave,

you are doing a much more valuable service which is " collecting stories " . These men wont be around much longer .

Kurt

Thank you Kurt. Say hello to you father-in-law for me the next time you speak with him.

Cheers!

• 8 months later...

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,

Chris / ADMIN

• 1 year later...

BTT - I first posted this thread in 2007 as a way to "Remember Pearl Harbor".Here it is again, December 7th, 2010 - lest we forget that fateful day and the heroes of our greatest generation, :salute:

Semper Fi........Bobgee

BTT - I first posted this thread in 2007 as a way to "Remember Pearl Harbor".Here it is again, December 7th, 2010 - lest we forget that fateful day and the heroes of our greatest generation, :salute:

Semper Fi........Bobgee

btt

Kurt Barickman

Wow, and I mean Wow, sorry I missed this the first time around. Thanks for posting this great USMC Pearl Harbor valor grouping. :thumbsup:

Kurt Barickman

• 11 months later...

Semper Fi........Bobgee

btt - December 7, 2011 - "REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR! :salute:

FYI _ There were 52 Navy Crosses awarded for actions on 7 December 1941. 46 to Navy men; 6 to Marines.

Semper Fi.......Bobgee

• 1 year later...

BTT - In memory of that fateful day - "which will live in infamy" 72 years ago. Lest we EVER forget. Semper Fi......Bobgee

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bump for the 75th Anniversary of the "date which will live in infamy." December 7th 1941.

REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR!

Semper Fi...BOB