Looking for Photo

ww2vault

Hi,

I wasn't sure what section to post this under so I thought this would be the best one. I need everyones help for a photo I am looking for. I know I have seen it around a lot in different books but when I need to find it I can't seem to now.

It is a photo that was taken in the Pacific theater which depicts a jeep carrying US soldiers on a road with a sign above them saying something about beating the, "Japanese Bastards". I know I have seen it around quite a bit but can't seem to find any pictures of it anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

- Jeff

Hi, Jeff, here is a link to to the Navy's archive, which has an ever-expanding on-line collection of photos from the National Archive:

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/...00/g259446d.htm

And the photo the blow-up is taken from, a pic of the USS Honolulu at Tulagi, in July, 1943:

HonoluluandHalseysign.jpg

courtesy of the National Archives

Cheers!

Thanks a lot A.B.! I will check the site out and see if I can find it.

P.S. I really like your avatar. ;)

- Jeff

You are very welcome, and thank you for the complement. That is an old Coast Artillery pic, From Ft. Story, VA. A 16" made in 1921 at Watervliet...

Best regards

AB

By Golly, thats the photo! Thanks a lot Carey, thats exactly what I was looking for. Did you own a copy of it or the original?

- Jeff

Jeff,

I've been trying to find time to post a reply to you and I see I was beaten to the punch. I wish I knew the origin of this picture who took it. A friend of mine has a sweet girlfriend, who allowed me to scan her Grandfathers Photos and this was in it along with a few more. I did find one for sell at the following site.

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/timemachinec...ibles/item/5798

If you ever find out the true history of this picture Jeff, please let us know.

Jack

post-2077-1197804915.jpg

post-2077-1197804897.jpg

Jeff, I guess i didnt sell it after all..... its just me having too much "stuff" and not knowing where it is.. :lol:

Here is my "copy".

Carey

post-633-1198196480.jpg

post-633-1198196486.jpg