Marshall's Helmet

12A54

The stainless-steel rim exhibits typical wear, but I've trawled the net and have failed to find a single picture of General Marshall actually wearing any helmet at all...yet! :think:

The stainless-steel rim exhibits typical wear, but I've trawled the net and have failed to find a single picture of General Marshall actually wearing any helmet at all...yet! :think:

I was just thinking the same thing........

The film shown in the museum shows Marshall in a four star helmet but I admit I didnt see any of him in this helmet. The four star helmet looked like the stars were painted.

Photo 1

To bad we can see how they are afixed to the shell, any ideas ? If anything, I'll just guess that this steel helment was one he had equipment item, with him never having the opportunity to wear it, it would make some sence that he would be in need of a steel pot, if for some reason he had to go to a foward area.

While it is completely possible that he had one made, would he really have worn it??

He didn't strike me as an egotist who would have one to wear during parades

Gen. Marshall, as Chief of Staff, spent most of the war in Washington, apart from accompanying FDR to some key conferences and liaising with his principle field commanders like Ike and Gen Bradley etc. That helmet appears to have been relatively well-used...rather more so than one would expect it to be if just being used on a few occasions by the head honcho. Patton and Bradley were front-line generals who wore their helmets as a matter of necessity, so you'd expect theirs to exhibit such wear and tear. Curious! :think:

While it is completely possible that he had one made, would he really have worn it??

He didn't strike me as an egotist who would have one to wear during parades

Well he might have to, if he went to to combat zone, Marshall was promoted to 5 stars on December 16 1944, (Ironically the day the Germans launched their Ardennes Offensive), It would be within the realm of possibity that he might go overseas on a visit or fact finding misson, or even a glad handing, back slaping visit,while the war was ongoing, from what I have seen he did not, but if where to go he would no doubt be not as foward as to risk him, but not be far back either. When ever IKE visited the forward areas he generaly was in the forward rear areas and did not wear a steel pot, thats not to say IKE did'nt have one issued to him, he must have, it would only make sense he had one, given he was on the continent by august 1944 and there always was a real threat that the Luftwaffe might get ballsy and lauch an air raid on SHAEF wherever they could find it.

Gen. Marshall, as Chief of Staff, spent most of the war in Washington, apart from accompanying FDR to some key conferences and liaising with his principle field commanders like Ike and Gen Bradley etc. That helmet appears to have been relatively well-used...rather more so than one would expect it to be if just being used on a few occasions by the head honcho. Patton and Bradley were front-line generals who wore their helmets as a matter of necessity, so you'd expect theirs to exhibit such wear and tear. Curious! :think:

Ian,just a thought, but do you think that this pot may have been in storage before it was put on display, with it being handled over the decades WITHOUT care, this contributing to its less than pristine condition

When I was in the National Guard helmets had to been worn in certain areas. As Chief of Staff he probably had to attend live-fire demonstrations of new weapons and area wear helmets needed to be worn and packed up for his travels it could get some wear and tear.

• 7 years later...