Group to USMC Corsair NAP - VMF-323 "The Death Rattlers

bobgee

Hugh_F._Newell_Group_1_resized.jpg

T/Sgt HUGH F. NEWELL, 635269, U.S.M.C. (Naval Aviation Pilot)

formerly 0-32781, First Lieutenant, U.S.M.C.R.

K.I.A. 7 Dec 1950 Chosin Reservoir area, Korea

With VMF-323 “The Death Rattlers”

Newell_resized.jpg

In WWII, “Whiskey” Newell, as he was known, flew Corsairs in combat as a Marine fighter pilot with U.S. Navy Squadron VF-10 . He received his first Distinguished Flying Cross, a frosted USN/USMC type, slot brooch, with reverse machine- engraved "Lt./Hugh F./Newell U.S.M.C./ April 12, 1945", for destroying two Zeros while flying an F4U Corsair with Navy fighter squadron VF-10 from the carrier U.S.S. Intrepid off Okinawa. He was one of only 13 Marine aviators who served in combat in Navy squadrons during WWII. ( this from Sherrod’s "History of Marine Corps Aviation in WW II"). Commissioned during WWII, he later reverted to enlisted rank and was a Technical Sergeant (Naval Aviation Pilot) when he flew in Korea with VMF-323, the “Death Rattlers” from the carrier USS Badoeng Strait.

USMC_MEDAL_GROUP_TSGT_NEWELL_KOREA_1.JPG_2.JPG

The DFC is a slot brooch, frosted U.S. Mint Navy/USMC planchet, with two gold Stars, lightly machine engraved, ""LT./HUGH F./NEWELL/U.S.M.C/APRIL12, 1945", obviously unofficial but this is the way it came into my hands over 20 years ago.

His WWII awarded Air Medal, is a US Mint type wrap brooch, with reverse officially hand-engraved "Hugh F./ Newell/ U.S.M.C." (This is in an engraving style which has been observed on other WWII USMC Air Medals of the period). He was awarded five Air Medals but no Stars are affixed to his medal. His Purple Heart, slot brooch, is officially hand-engraved "TSgt/ Hugh F./ Newell/ USMC".

Newell_Leatherneck_1.jpg

The above photo appeared in the January 1951 issue of “Leatherneck” magazine. It was probably taken in late November or early December 1950. Newell is on the left.

He was KIA (presumed) in Korea on 7 Dec 1950 while piloting an F4U-4B Corsair of VMF-323, operating from the U.S.S. Badoeng Strait in support of Marine ground forces in the Chosin Reservoir campaign. He was hit by ground fire while on a napalm bombing run about about 1 mile east of Hagaru-ri. His aircraft exploded & distintigrated upon impact. His remains have never been recovered.

In the VMF-323 USMC Monograph he is noted as having been “one of the best pilots in the Marine Corps.” The grouping also has USMC GCM (un-named plain reverse); American Campaign; Asiatic Pacific Campaign w/ 2 stars; WWII Victory; WWII Occupation Service, USMC, w/ Asia clasp; NDSM; Korean Service w/ 3 stars; UN Korea. Includes extensive research and personnel file copies including citations.

Rest in Peace, Marine! :salute:

Semper Fi..........Bobgee

What a beautiful, unique, and historically important group! I can especially appreciate it as a former member of VMFA-323 (1994-1996, MCAS El Toro, USS CONSTELLATION/Persian Gulf, NAS Miramar). Not many NAP groupings around, much less Marine NAPs. You should be honored to have the group, VERY nice!

Semper,

Ski

Bob, You never cease to amaze me. Your collection is jaw dropping to say the least. Group after group and always some of the best.

Kindest Regards,

Dennis

Nice group to a fine Marine. After WWII he reverted back to his enlisted rank, but was still flying. I am amazed at the fact that the Marine Corps would trust him to fly a $100,000. plane but not to be an officer.

Just incredible. I knew there were Enlisted pilots in WWII but not Korea. Wow. Wonder why he reverted? Cutbacks/drawdowns?

Thanks for sharing this one.

teufelhunde.ret
I knew there were Enlisted pilots in WWII but not Korea.

And quite a number of enlisted USMC Pilots and NFO's flew during VN and after.

In a word: "OUTSTANDING" Thx for sharing his history w/ us Bob. s/f D.

On the eve of TSgt Newell's loss at the Chosin Reservoir here's a close-up of his Purple Heart engraving.

Semper Fi, Marine!

Hugh_F._Newell_Group_4_edited.jpg