Hap Arnold insignia?! Air Force Association pins

Sabrejet

I came upon this insignia on ebay 190608352071 (Sorry, I can't upload the pics!) I've been collecting USAAF stuff for years but have not encountered these before. Legit? Fantasy? Can someone put them in context please? Thanks! :think:

I have seen these before, I always thought they were sweetheart pins :lol: I don't think I have ever seen a picture of any USAAF officer wearing them!

post-182-1322848493.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics Paul! :thumbsup: Sweethearts seems logical? I'm not doubting that these are vintage pieces...they certainly have a patina of age...but personally, I've never seen them worn in a military context at all...unless someone out there knows differently?

:bye1:

Those are definately not Hap Arnold's personal wings, nor are they unofficial Officer's collar insignia. They are civilian lapel pins for members of the Air Force Association (AFA).

In 1945 it was General Arnold who first mentioned the need for an independent civilian organization to argue the case for military preparedness and the importance of a strong Air Force... and in 1946 the AFA was formed. It is open to anyone who wishes to join but in large part its membership consists of USAF officers and NCOs now on active duty or retired.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff...you've confirmed my doubts. The seller has them listed as follows:-

RARE Orig. Pair USAAF Hap Arnold Silver Officer Wings Insignia Hallmarked

Thanks Cliff...you've confirmed my doubts. The seller has them listed as follows:-

I should put these on Ebay.

"Rare originalish pair of USAAF engraved Hap Arnold wings from Eddie R."

post-1519-1322863135.jpg

I would love to know where they came up with this nonsense. You'd think that they would do some research before posting a ridiculous description.

I've seen a similar design described as a USAF Honor Guard Hat Badge (Aldebol's AAF/USAF Insignia book by Medals of America, P118)

Regards

Mike

When the USAF adopted the uniform monstrosity that then CSAF McPeak forced down the collective Air Force throat, the blouse buttons changed from the familiar USAF shield to the winged star design (very similar to the pattern of these pins). Not long thereafter, the USAF came out with a boxed set of uniform accoutrements they designated the "Hap Arnold Heritage collection." The set included a tie clip with the winged star on it, new shirt studs for the mess dress formal shirt, and cuff links with this same winged star emblem on them.

Perhaps that's where the seller assumed the "Hap Arnold" connection.....just guessing; only the seller knows for sure. That said, though, they do look like old sweetheart items to me as well.

Actually...whatever their origins/provenance they are quite attractive items and I wouldn't object to adding them to my collection as they evidently do have some age and an AF connection!

Personally (which matters to nobody but me), the "Hap Arnold" star and wings is, should and will always be, representative of the USAF... on the level of an EGA.

The AF fiddles around way way way too much with insignia, each time destroying what little image tradition we have established.

Personally (which matters to nobody but me), the "Hap Arnold" star and wings is, should and will always be, representative of the USAF... on the level of an EGA.

The AF fiddles around way way way too much with insignia, each time destroying what little image tradition we have established.

I agree 200% with Blue'! It's a very potent image, laden with tradition. If it ain't broke...don't fix it!! :pinch:

When the USAF adopted the uniform monstrosity that then CSAF McPeak forced down the collective Air Force throat, the blouse buttons changed from the familiar USAF shield to the winged star design (very similar to the pattern of these pins). Not long thereafter, the USAF came out with a boxed set of uniform accoutrements they designated the "Hap Arnold Heritage collection." The set included a tie clip with the winged star on it, new shirt studs for the mess dress formal shirt, and cuff links with this same winged star emblem on them.

Perhaps that's where the seller assumed the "Hap Arnold" connection.....just guessing; only the seller knows for sure. That said, though, they do look like old sweetheart items to me as well.

I agree. We called anything that looked like this "Hap Arnold"......

Ian

Bluehawk, I agree with you completely. For those who are curious, here is what the Air Force changed that emblem to a few years ago, trying to update/modernize its "image."

I wish they would just leave things alone, there was nothing wrong with the traditional rendition of the winged star. My two cents.

Pete

post-5467-1323219279.gif

i seen this same emblem embroidered on an avirex jacket just the other day there was only one and it was on the left chest

I have seen these before, I always thought they were sweetheart pins :lol: I don't think I have ever seen a picture of any USAAF officer wearing them!

post-182-1322848493.jpg

• 11 years later...
S.ChrisKelly
S.ChrisKelly

(For all here, not just the USAF personnel...  Not to light this stick of dynaminte...  Have you seen the current US Army logo?  Much less those... "pinks and greens"?

rathbonemuseum.com

Let's please keep this discussion focused on the AF item in the post or it gets moved to misc. conversations. Or locked. Thanks.

S.ChrisKelly

First, I apologize for my mis-spelling(s) and style error(s). Letting my school(s) down. Sorry.

Second, this is not exactly an "active" topic.  Moderator or not, with all duevand sincere respect, pull your horns in, chief. I'm trying to assist.  Lock it down, move it... Do what you want.  I'm not bothered.