USN pilots grouping

Bebel

Paul, I love the Navy an Marine flight jackets all patched up. I spend time over on the Vintage Leather Jacket forum occasionally, but most of the interest in jackets over there seems to centered around pristine examples sans patches. The different patches tell highlights of Naval Aviators' careers which is really cool. The aviator that wore your example appears to have been involved in two great fighter squadrons. That VF 13 patch is hard to find! Lets see your other jackets. Jeffro

Jeffro, I totally agree. I try to aim for patched examples or in the very least named and researchable. I will look at posting more examples in the flight jacket thread under uniforms.

Thanks again and I look forward to sharing and learning more on this great forum....

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

The jacket seems to be fabulous. Maybe a VF-19 veteran? Did you some researches about its original owner?

The "gaggle" patch may be the Group 19 insignia from the second Pacific cruise which was designed as a "foo" cruise in the related cruise book.

The VCN-1 or VC-3 or VF(W)-3 patch on the right shoulder seems also to design a veteran of this unit. As I too have a jacket from a vet of this unit, I would like to know the name of your, if possible. Thank you.

I also would enjoy to see some other photos of your jacket(s).

Best,

Franck

Brian Dentino

Fantastic aviators grouping.....great to see the prop to jet pilots groupings that are so complete.

I will also echo Manny: "A feast for the eyes.".......indeed!

Hi Franck,

Many thanks for the reply and apologies for not mentioning earlier what a fantastic grouping you have !

My jacket is named to E. D. Jones. So far, all i have been able to find out, well perhaps via a photograph (please see attached, dated circa 1949), is that he was in FAWTUPAC after the war, which ties in with the squadron's re-designation from what I can find.

The black and white photograph shows at least somebody of the same name and initials as him in the front seat of a F-7F-3 Tigercat. Although Jones is a pretty common surname.

If you have any mention of Jones within your records I would be grateful to know please, I like the idea that these guys perhaps shared the same piece of sky in the past.

post-104881-0-99288700-1356146721.jpg

Hi Paul,

First, thank you for your very nice comments. (But as an US aviation collector, I must say that your jacket would be at a better place in my room (lol)! ;):lol: )

VCN-1 squadron became FAWTUPAC (Fleet All Weather Training Pacific) in 1949. Here is an official picture of unit officers. Ltj(jg) E.D. Jones is the sixth officer from the right on the fourth row. Lt Neal from whom I have some items and papers is the 5th on the first row. You can see some photos int his post: http://www.usmilitar...eal#entry650434 and in this one: http://www.usmilitar...eal#entry692074 .

fawtupac19491.jpg

Insignia which seems to be a decal glued under a thick piece made of a sort of plexiglass.

fawtupac19493.jpg

Hi Franck,

Wow, thanks for sharing the links and the photographs !!

Stunning grouping.

LOL about where my jacket should be, I was thinking the same thing about yours........ ;)

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Franck,

Close up of the discussed patch........

Thanks again for sharing the Squadron photo, it's always great to put a face to a name with these great pieces.

Best regards,

Paul

post-104881-0-82278800-1356207760.jpg

Thanks again for sharing the Squadron photo, it's always great to put a face to a name with these great pieces.

Best regards,

Paul

Paul,

You're right. To know the face of the original owner of our things in our collections is a great thing. And a best way to honor their memory.

Here's my patch for all those who could be interested to see two versions of the same.

Best,

Franck

j7823nealiii003.jpg

• 10 months later...