USN pilots grouping

Bebel

Lawrence M. Cauble is born in 1923 and became an USN fighter pilot in 1943. He saw combat while in service in VF-5 "Hell Cats" flying F-6 Hellcat (Peleleiu, Palau, Hollandia, Truk). Next affectation was VF-19 "Satan's Kittens" with which squadron he was in action in Philippines Sea battle. He shot down 2 Sallies near Subic Bay, 1/2 Zeke and 1/2 Tony over Taiwan. After the war, he was a F-8 Bearcat pilot in the same unit.

ltjglmcauble1944.jpg

vf19hellcat1944.jpg

In 1950-1952, Lt "Larry" Cauble was a F-9 Panther pilot with VF-61 "Jolly Rogers". Med cruise on USS F.D. Roosevelt

lmcauble002.jpg

vf61panther1951.jpg

In 1956-1958, he was a project pilot, flying A4D-2 and FJ-4B in VX-5 "Vampires" at China Lake.

lmcauble003.jpg

ltcdrcaublevx51957.jpg

From 1958 to 1960, he was CO. of the VA-23 "Black Knights", flying A-4 Skyhawk. He became a Centurion on USS Mydway in the 59/60 Westpac.

lmcauble004.jpg

va23furynasatsugi151019.jpg

Captain L. M. Cauble passed away in 2000.

lmcauble007.jpg

lmcauble006.jpg

Do you know where this grouping came out of? I recently acquired a WWII Navy Leather Flight jacket with patch ghosts theat look exactly like the ones you've posted. It came from a flea market from a guy who said the rest of the man's stuff was sold elsewhere.

Do you know where this grouping came out of? I recently acquired a WWII Navy Leather Flight jacket with patch ghosts theat look exactly like the ones you've posted. It came from a flea market from a guy who said the rest of the man's stuff was sold elsewhere.

Is your jacket named to the same guy ?

I love this grouping. Not very often do I see an orange jump suit. How did you come across this ?

Is the orange Jump suit Vietnam era? Really nice grouping by the way!

I bought the group from an aviation items seller. I have not been told about other stuffs nor from the exact origin of these items. I would like to see some photos of your jacket. :thumbsup:

Is the orange Jump suit Vietnam era? Really nice grouping by the way!

The suit is from the Mil-S-5390F spécification (FY 1963's contract). Such suits are not too rare but with plate name or patch(es). I am luckily to have some patched or/and named orange suits in my collection. :rolleyes:

Franck

• 1 month later...
I love this grouping. Not very often do I see an orange jump suit. How did you come across this ?

Orange flightsuits were fairly common from the 50s into the early 80s. Used by the USAF and Navy, and very much used by AF interceptor units. Have also sen them used by company test pilots.

Randy

• 10 months later...

Some other patches and photos from L. Cauble. An article about his career is published in the french magazine "Uniformes" at the end of December.

Franck

patches002.jpgpatches001.jpg

94757195.jpg68349791.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Long term lurker and first time poster.....

Have you ID'd the blue backed horse patch out of interest ? It looks as though it is a form of gaggle patch. I only ask as i have a 55J14 with that same patch on the front and I believe the VF-19 patch as seen in your first post on the sleeve of the same jacket. The guys jacket has a few patches, but it was good to see the "gaggle" patch as i could not find it anywhere.

Many thanks and I look forward to continuing my studies from this awesome forum.

I will try and post a few shots of this and my other USN flight jackets in the appropriate threads.

Best,

Paul

Johnny Signor

The patch that appears as a Gaggle could be for the "Air Group" they usually had all the emblems combined on one patch ..............................

Johnny

If I have my emblem files correct the gaggle's emblems consist of

VF-19 "Satan's Kittens"

VA-19A (Dog on horse)

VF-20A/Latter VBF-19 (Bird )

There's also a "cat" on the horses back near it's neck, I've seen this one but don't recall the unit .......................

Thanks Johnny,

That was what I was thinking, you can see the Satans Kittens cat in amongst the patch. Haven't been able to ID the other squadrons as yet or the cruise dates.

The search continues

Best regards,

Paul

Paul, the gaggle patch is for CAG 19. Johnny has them right and the "cat" is a lions cub that represents VT 19. I always wondered who won that jacket. It's a beauty! Thanks for posting it. I missed out on it when it sold and it's been first on my list of "the ones that got away" ever since. Jeffro

Johnny Signor

Hopefully the files will work........

Here is the full jacket view

post-104881-0-35879700-1356068470.jpg

The patches on this jacket are

top right VF-19

below name patch-VF-13

Patch above Gaggle -VFP-62

left in photo on sleeve - VF(AW)-3

Johnny

Hi Jeffro,

Awesome, many thanks for the information I appreciate your help and knowledge. The jacket is certainly one of my favourites and was the first nicely patched one I owned...

Sorry you missed out, but rest assured it is in a good home.

Best regards,

Paul