Which did you like better?

Justin

Band Of Brothers Or The Pacific  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Band Of Brothers Or The Pacific

• Band Of Brothers
    • The Pacific

For me, it's Band of Brothers all the way. It has as a more "vintage" feel. Also a real feel of time, the way some of the characters personalities changed such as Luz, Buck and Malarkey was very good. Which I just didn't get with The Pacific.

What about you, which did you enjoy more?

General Apathy
For me, it's Band of Brothers all the way. It has as a more "vintage" feel. Also a real feel of time, the way some of the characters personalities changed such as Luz, Buck and Malarkey was very good. Which I just didn't get with The Pacific.

Hi Justin, Ditto

lewis

CNY Militaria

Actually I enjoyed them equally, but The Pacific was a new and fresh look at that side of the War. Many viewers claim no attachment to the characters, but if you really dive in and focus they come a long way. I think the last episode is on par with the movie "The Best Years of Our Lives" and offers a good perspective on adjusting to home life after the War, and the difficulties of others understanding their hardships.

The best quote from the series IMO was from the former paratrooper and Taxi driver to Sledge when he said something to the effect of "I might have jumped into Normandy but at least I got some liberties in London and Paris; You gyrenes, you got nothing but jungle rot and malaria. Welcome home.”

The best quote from the series IMO was from the former paratrooper and Taxi driver to Sledge when he said something to the effect of "I might have jumped into Normandy but at least I got some liberties in London and Paris; You gyrenes, you got nothing but jungle rot and malaria. Welcome home.”

:thumbsup:

BoB for me, although i havent seen the entire Pacific yet, just a few episodes....but im sure nothing can outdo BoB in my eyes..... :thumbsup: ..mike

BoB ! (episodes 2 and 3 mainly)

In Band of Brothers I found that the actors cast to portray the actual real life charctors actually looked the men who they where portraying. I in studying those photos from the Ambrose book and knowing what the actors looked like in my minds eye did see good resemblances with the real life men in this WWII unit. In Pacific a great deal of the actors looked nothing like the actual men. the actor portraying Chesty Puller for one, also the guy playing Basilone looked nothing like Basilone, I thought his buddy, you remember the Puerto Rican or Mexican American looked more Basilone. I also seen no need for the explict sex scenes, Having seen the one the Lecki was in when he was in austraila after the Canal, I said to my friend who's also into military history and was watching it as well and equaly thought that sex scene unnessary, saying, I bet you their going to show Basilone and his future wife getting naked and having sex and low and behold it was so. I,am far from being an uptight prude, however, for me I thought this was a totaly unnessary scene, I also wondered what the Basilone family thought not to mention the family of Basilone's widow of that.

I voted for BoB, but I actually liked them both. And I own both sets.

I think when Pacific was released folks expected another BoB and of course that wasn't going to happen. Completely different types of warfare and adversaries. War is war, but all in all the war against the Japanese was much tougher and crueler just based on the Japanese code of bushido.

Imagine if the Germans had fought us (consistently) like they did the Russians and vise a versa.

I guess it comes down to what you are into.

I really, really wanted to be overawed by "The Pacific" because I'm a WW2 USMC buff, but I just couldn't get my heart into it to the level that I did with BoB. Mind you, I even gave the Pacific several viewings, but it just didn't measure up to BoB in character development for one thing. I must say however that episode 10 was brilliant, and on a par with any episode of BoB. The "vet coming home" angle is always engrossing if done well, as in "The Best Years of Our Lives" as mentioned by another post. Overall I gave the Pacific a thumbs up but BoB a bigger thumbs up. I dare say that a re-edit (with more footage maybe?) might do wonders for the Pacific.

I feel by the time they got around to doing "Pacific" the production had become formulaic {let's go through the motions and capitalize on the popularity of "Band of Brothers" & "Saving Private Ryan"}. While it's nice to have computer graphics to help I kept noticing the same Corsair flying with it's gear down, even when flying an attack; and it seemed to be elsewhere in different sizes. Of course the cost of flying these planes for real is prohibitive but I think they could have done a better job with the graphics. I could almost be more impressed with the animation in the original "Godzilla". In looking at the previews for the upcomoing version about the "Tuskegee Airman" I see at least one flying scene where a P~51 seems to do a loop that would tear apart a normal airplane, even a P~51.

I really liked The Pacific. I liked the coming home at the end, and I really enjoyed the Peleliu episodes. Like rr01 said there are some graphic flaws. When Sledge is heading the the beach a carrier in front of him blows up, and it looked so corny. The Normandy epiosdes of BoB were my favorite, I wish there was another episode when they were in Normandy. I also wish I still had my scrimed up para helmet.

While apart from my earlier observations,The Pacific was good most of the times, though the jumping around with the differant charactors tend to wear thin sometimes, the graphics I thought where great, in the Pacific I also appreciated that there was no attempt to give that artificial appearance by reducing the colour satuation of the film, I was not a fan of that in Band of Brothers or in the earlier Saving Private Ryan, life is not in muted colour's or black and white it is in VIVID colour.

If you insist, Band of Brothers. And it was not because it's airborne or ETO! And let's face it, when I heard the title I expected far more, so that was a disappointment, what I got was "With the Marines in The Pacific".

To be blunt I did not think The Pacific pulled it off as well, understanding the tremendous difficulty in tying a four year war across half the pacific ocean into a tell all series is not possible and I understand that. My problem (historical inaccuracies aside) was that too much emphasis was placed on brief "snapshots" during certain events of the PTO campaigns, what was expected by many was a series based primarily on one unit, or in the case of Band of Brothers one particular company in that unit.

And to be fair, if we do accept the almost episodic format of the series with a "battle of the week" theme then why not try to tell more of how it all happened? An episode set during Wake Island in 1941, another on Midway in June 1942, etc until peace was achieved in 1945.

It's worth viewing, though and is better than several PTO films at least.

RC

BigDogMilitaria

I would have to say Band of Brothers. I have watched it countless times, and having read the book years before the series, i enjoyed it even more. I admit i got the bug for collecting after watching it, and ended up with a repro paratrooper helmet because of it.

That said, i have really enjoyed the Pacific and its grown on me after repeated viewings, and especially after reading Sledges and Leckies books. There were a lot of offhand remarks and what not that went right over my head until I read the books. I thought the end episodes were the best. The "readjusting" to civilian life. The Best Years of Our Lives is one of my favorite all time movies and the end episodes much like that movie really got to me. Ironically enough, i absolutely hated the actor James Badge Dale when he was on 24 and was not looking forward to him in this, but i think he did a great job, maybe a bit too old. Loved the scene where he asks Vera out for the first time.

While apart from my earlier observations,The Pacific was good most of the times, though the jumping around with the differant charactors tend to wear thin sometimes, the graphics I thought where great, in the Pacific I also appreciated that there was no attempt to give that artificial appearance by reducing the colour satuation of the film, I was not a fan of that in Band of Brothers or in the earlier Saving Private Ryan, life is not in muted colour's or black and white it is in VIVID colour.

I also agree that i wish BoB and Saving Private Ryan were not in muted color, although i didnt notice it as much in BoB....vivd color would have been better to me, or at least i think so, i wonder if they did it in bright color if it would have looked too Hollywood?... :think: ..mike

teufelhunde.ret
"I might have jumped into Normandy but at least I got some liberties in London and Paris; You gyrenes, you got nothing but jungle rot and malaria. Welcome home.”

... and that about sums it up :thumbsup:

I also agree that i wish BoB and Saving Private Ryan were not in muted color, although i didnt notice it as much in BoB....vivd color would have been better to me, or at least i think so, i wonder if they did it in bright color if it would have looked too Hollywood?... :think: ..mike

All you have to do is look at all those marvelous historical movies from the late 30s up to what the early 80s to see that you can have real life colour, some movies that come to mind,The Four Feathers, Robin Hood, Gone With Wind, Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, Zulu, the list is long, all done in technicolor and they where great. In Saving Private Ryan- Band of Brothers they where just trying to be inovative and artsy. Take the early 80s movie DAS BOOT, it was muted in colour and we all know how great that movie is.

The de-saturated colour quality of SPR and BoB was done to emulate the look of the slightly faded colour newsreels of day...though series like "WW2 in HD" demonstrate just how vivid old 8mm Kodachrome stock could be.

VirtualMariner

Both were excellent, in my opinion, at least in the overall sense. The European and Pacific wars were such different animals, though, and I've often felt that the war in Europe is more easily grasped by the average American. That probably plays a part in how movies/shows are received by American audiences.

There are no good or fun wars, obviously, but I don't think too many people would argue that the Pacific campaign was a much darker and, in some ways, more gruesome experience. The differences in geography and in the culture of our enemy were such significant factors. I think it's more difficult to capture the nature of the Pacific campaign and, as such, it effects the film. However, I voted for "Pacific", but BoB runs nearly even.

The fact that BoB follows a single unit throughout is one of its biggest pluses. Pacific used two books as its basis, in order to span their desired time frame. I think the series did suffer from alternating between what were essentially separate story lines. That's probably my biggest complaint. However, if you haven't already done so, I highly recommend reading Sledge's memoir - "With the Old Breed". Arguably, the best first hand combat narrative written. I haven't read Leckie's book, yet.

The comparison of the two series reminds me of comparing "Saving Private Ryan" with "Thin Red Line". Both good, but very different moves, but like I said...the campaigns themselves were very different.