Tarawa Groupings

Kurt Barickman

Kurt Barickman

The 1st Division is guy is still under research and the small photos are what I can post on this website. You stated you wanted wall shots so there they are.

Kurt

Brian Dentino

An extraordinary collection of great Marine stuff Kurt! I always enjoy seeing shots of your fantastic collection......one of the best! :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...
Kurt Barickman

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...hl=emeric+fedor

Check out this link as tunic is now in my collection and have discovered that he was a cook on both Guadalcanal and Tarawa with C Company, 2nd Medical Battalion and also with Service and Supply Troops in the field 2nd Marine Division FMF. He was with the Marines until the end of the war and don't know when he joined the Army.

Kurt Barickman

wwIIfighterpilots

Kurt,

Do a thread on the "I could do a whole thread on this 13th Marine Regiment, 5th Marine Division two trunk Iwo Jima officer." Would love to see more!

Mike

devildog34

Kurt I never get tired of your unbelievable collection. Everytime I come over I see things I've seen 2, 3 and 4 times and it's like seeing it the first time all over again. You do some amazing preservation and research of what these guys did half a world away as teenagers. . . downright spine tingling when you get right down to it! Great job stuff. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kevin

• 5 months later...
Kurt Barickman

Bringing this thread back to the top on the 69th anniversary of this horrific battle.

Kurt Barickman

• 4 weeks later...
Kurt Barickman

Louis H. Krauel was an Navy Medical Dr. attached to 1st Battalion, 10th Marines on Tarawa, Saipan and Tinian

krauel 1.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Received a 28.6 lb. box of items belonging to this Tarawa veteran. Robert Hall was the 60mm mortar platoon leader of H and S Company, Third Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment which hit the beach on Tarawa on the extremely "hot" Red Beach 1 on D-Day. He was wounded there in the surf but continued on to lead his men and was eventually made adjutant of third battalion.

Hall 1.jpg

Kurt Barickman

There are three different Bronze Star citations in this grouping to include a great photo of Hall receiving his Purple Heart for the Tarawa operation from 2nd Marine Division Commanding General Julian Smith.

Hall 2.jpg

I agree with Mike, would be great to see more of that grouping.

I own an Iwo 13th Marines officer Coat as well, I haven't received the paperwork yet but makes me wonder if they knew each other.

Leonardo

• 3 months later...
Kurt Barickman

Thanks to a fellow forum member for this nice addition to my Tarawa collection.

Just received his file and he was originally put in for a Navy Cross for Tarawa but was downgraded to a Legion of Merit. He helped people medically on and near the pier while under fire. The file even had testimonials from others for his Navy Cross.

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...

You are going to put all this Tarawa stuff in a book at some point right? An amazing and focused collection.

Kurt Barickman

You are going to put all this Tarawa stuff in a book at some point right? An amazing and focused collection.

Good idea, never really thought about it. Thanks for the comments fellow Gopher Stater! Going to Bob Johnson's show in a couple of weeks??Thanks, Kurt

• 7 months later...