Tarawa Groupings

Kurt Barickman

Stinger Gunner USMC

Lt. Robert E. Keeton did not land on the beaches of Tarawa and face that nightmare, but he certainly had his own hell in the waters off Tarawa on the night of November 24, 1943 when the USS Liscome Bay was sunk by a Japanese Submarine. Keeton, who was blown from the ship when she exploded, woke up in the water, his legs peppered with shrapnel and his body with burns. A sailor pulled him onto a piece of driftwood before swiming off to help other wounded sailors. That sailor was never seen again. Keeton recovered from his wounds and was assigned to be the Assistant Flag Officer for Admiral Nimitz and was awarded the Bronze Star for his service under his command.

Keeton, a Harvard Graduate became a district court judge and a well known legal scholar.

post-1672-1321937678.jpg

post-1672-1321938291.jpg

Remember my friend GLM and your uncle KIA in Tarawa:

My Uncle John Mohrlang. He was a PFC and .30 cal. watercooled machine gunner in Company H, the heavy weapons company of 2nd Bn., 8th Marines, 2nd Marine Division. He died of wounds at Betio, Tarawa Atoll on Nov. 20, 1943 and was buried at sea in the transport area three miles offshore on Nov. 21, 1943.

This photo was taken in Wellington, NZ in March 1943, after 8th Marines arrived there from Guadalcanal.

Gary

Photos in http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...rawa&st=100

BR, Ricardo.

Kurt Barickman

Ricardo,

Thanks for posting and remembering our fellow USMF moderator and contributor Gary and his KIA uncle from Tarawa. I will try to put some more photos up of my Tarawa groupings. Thanks for all the contributions and keep them coming. :thumbsup:

Kurt

His best friend and belt loader, PFC Bill Young. According to several friends of both Uncle John and Bill that I've talked to, told me Bill was one helluva boxer and represented 8th Marines in several matches while in New Zealand. Bill survived Guadalcanal and Tarawa, but was killed on Saipan by a mortar round.

Gary

post-84-1169609652.jpg

Here is the entire machine gun crew sitting for a photo portrait in Wellington.

Seated front, left to right is Uncle John and Bill Young. Standing, left to right is Vic Silver, MIA at Tarawa (body never recovered), Patrick Gresk, severly wounded at Tarawa (evacuated to the US) and Keith Buffum who survived all campaigns with 2nd Marine Division and last time I talked with him was still well and living here in Colorado.

Gary

post-84-1169610047.jpg

• 1 month later...
Kurt Barickman

Okay, now tthat Santa, HO HO and all of that is done, lets get back to some real fun!

Major John J. Wade, 1 and 2/10th Marines, Tulagi, Guadalcanal, Tarawa and Okinawa

resize_wade.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Hi tac marked unis trunk. After Tarawa, Wade was reassigned as an artillery cadre for the 13th Marines of the forming 5th Marine Division.

resize_wade_1.jpg

Kurt Barickman

His commendation for service on Tulagi on D-Day, August 7, 1942 and as a forward observer during January of 1943 on Guadalcanal.

resize_wade_2.jpg