16 replies to this topic

#1 cmjordan77

cmjordan77
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,002
  • 865 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:42 PM

Hi,
I spoke to a gentleman who has a M1 carbine for sale.
He said he thinks the name on it is this: HAILORD Inc, or HAILURD Inc, M1 Carbine, etc...

Has anyone ever heard of this?
I have never heard of this name.

I have heard of Inland, Winchester, Rockola, etc..

Is this a legtimate WWII RIfle? Korean War Rifle? Bogus Rifle?

I greatly appreciate anyone's help.

I told the gentleman I would give him a fair price if I could find out what it would be worth.

Can anyone help?

Sincerely
Chad Jordan

#2 OccupationM1Carbines

OccupationM1Carbines
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 1,970
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:39 PM

It would probably be a good idea to have him check it and get the exact name and where it is located on the weapon, along with the serial number. Also, a decent couple of pics would be helpful.

Howa is the only thing I'm aware of that's close. There's one for sale on Gunbroker at the moment and the guy has been inhaling too much Hoppe's #9 if he thinks it's worth even half what he's asking for it.

Before I detail Howa, be a good idea to make sure that's what he's talking about. Howa was Japanese manufactured, using equipment purchased from one of the original U.S. GI manufacturers. Japan, like Germany after the war, had M1 carbines issued to some of their police during the period of Allied occupation.

The name he gave you is not a GI carbine name, BUT, it's also not a commercial post war M1 carbine name that's been documented by Larry Ruth in War Baby Comes Home or by anyone else. I've been doing a side project on the commercial carbines for about a year and haven't seen or read of anything even close.

I think he's got the name wrong, or it's a carbine other than an M1 carbine. It is possible a small time gunsmith bought a receiver and built just a couple from available GI parts and a commercial receiver manufactured by someone else back in the 60's.

Jim

#3 ronl

ronl
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,721
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:05 AM

Certainly not a WW2 produced weapon. and not worth much at all. Tha manufacturers I remember arre Winchester, Inland, Underwood, National Postal Meter, IBM, Rock-ola, Irwin- Pederson.. If you're buying a gun for reenacting, then make sure GI parts will fit it.

#4 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 68
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:52 AM

I have never heard of a M1 Carbine maker with that name. I suspect that if the gun has that marking on it the name may be an importer's name, not the manufacturer. Make sure he is looking at the right location for the maker's name, as it is tough to see with the later model sights.

Charlie

#5 gunbarrel

gunbarrel
  • Members
    • Member ID: 70
  • 6,319 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:03 AM

Here is just a WAG, but non-GI "Universal" M1 carbines were marked UNIVERSAL HIALEAH FLA. I wonder if that is what he has. If it is, I hear the early ones are O.K., but the later ones are junk. If it was me, I would go for an Inland, or an Underwood currently available through the CMP. I love the Inland I got from them for $500.

Edited by gunbarrel, 02 December 2007 - 08:18 AM.

#6 cmjordan77

cmjordan77
  • Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:50 PM

Thank you,
Can you send me a link to where I can go to try and get one from them?
I have heard of the CMP, and I would like to try and get 1.
My grandfather carried one in WWII European front.
He was a combat engineer.

Thank you!

Here is just a WAG, but non-GI "Universal" M1 carbines were marked UNIVERSAL HIALEAH FLA. I wonder if that is what he has. If it is, I hear the early ones are O.K., but the later ones are junk. If it was me, I would go for an Inland, or an Underwood currently available through the CMP. I love the Inland I got from them for $500.

#7 gunbarrel

gunbarrel
  • Members
    • Member ID: 70
  • 6,319 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

Can you send me a link to where I can go to try and get one from them?
I have heard of the CMP, and I would like to try and get 1. Thank you!

http://www.odcmp.com...ifles/sales.htm

#8 Bank Vault

Bank Vault

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 1,216
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:34 PM

How much does the guy want for that M1?

#9 cmjordan77

cmjordan77
  • Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:43 AM

Well, He didnt say.
He told me to offer him whatever I think was fair.
I dont even have a clue to what it would be worth.
I was thinking about offering him $150 or $200.
If not that, less? more??
What do you all think??

Can you all let me know?
Thanks
Chad

#10 costa

costa
  • Members
    • Member ID: 73
  • 5,402 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:44 AM

if i'm not mistaken--- the universal's were of viet nam era. made with that name so as to not give the impression that we were supplying or involved in any way. this was early.

#11 pathfinder505

pathfinder505
  • Members
    • Member ID: 197
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:56 AM

I personally would NOT buy it and instead spend my money on a real one. When I say real I mean WWII issue.

Just remember if you buy this one and then find a real one later, you probably won't be able to sell this universal and make any money or may not even be able to get your money out of it.

Just my 2 cents

#12 Bank Vault

Bank Vault

BANNED

• Banned
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:33 AM

Ask him what his bottom dollar is and then if he don't say offer him 200 and see what he says.

#13 OccupationM1Carbines

OccupationM1Carbines
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 1,970
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:31 PM

Unless he can provide specific information about the markings on the carbine and some decent photographs, I'd pass on it. A legit seller provides such information if they want to sell it.

What he may be referring to is Hialeah, FL, which is where the Universal M1 carbines were made. They are marked Universal Hialeah, FL either on the receiver ring or on the top of the receiver forward of the rear sight.

Without further information, I think the CMP carbines coming out in January would be a much better investment. No post war carbine has been made to the specs and quality of those made by the original manufacturers for U.S. Ordnance 1942-1945.

Jim

#14 Guest_south_*

Guest_south_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:57 PM

....Without further information, I think the CMP carbines coming out in January would be a much better investment. .....

No need to wait until Janurary. CMP has both Inland and Underwood M1 carbines in stock and ready to ship starting at $419 and $479 respectively.

http://www.odcmp.com...les/carbine.htm

Edited by south, 06 December 2007 - 01:58 PM.

#15 cmjordan77

cmjordan77
  • Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:56 AM

Thank you,
I will try to get one from there.
Thank you!
Chad

No need to wait until Janurary. CMP has both Inland and Underwood M1 carbines in stock and ready to ship starting at $419 and $479 respectively.
http://www.odcmp.com...les/carbine.htm

#16 Bank Vault

Bank Vault

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 840
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:57 PM

As a collector, hunter, gun nut, and shooter, if you could pick one up cheap just to shoot and play with you could probably get more out of it. I am told that they are fun little firearms. Just my opinion.

#17 Hired_gun

Hired_gun
  • Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:40 PM

As a collector of carbines for 20+ years I will say this..."STAY AWAY FROM THE UNIVERSAL CARBINES" Some, not all, had some serious issues with out of battery firing. In other words, they would discharge without the bolt being fully closed and locked. And that can be deadly!

In my opinion, the only aftermarket (non USGI) carbine worth a darn was the Plainfield

If you really want one, the CMP would be the best way to go.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users