Air Corps Corporal -RET USAF CPT

PATCHRAT

I found this nice 5x7 colorized photo at a flea market in Airizona a few years ago. Thought I might share it here. the man passed away in 1992. Born in PA in 1925 buried in Tucson, AZ he retired as a Captian. Interesting use of the small wing on the hat and I'm not sure about the color of the piping. i also can not make out the tabs on the marksman badges. The top one reads CARBINE on the left and on the right top I think it says RIFLE? the rest??? The phot was taken at PETRIE Studios in PITTSBURGH, PA

post-1604-1196564725.jpg

The young Corporal appears to have just graduated from Aerial Gunnery school and earned his wings. A promotion to Corporal also came with graduation. He probably wears a set of miliature Aerial Gunners wings on his overseas cap which had Air Corps Gold & Blue piping.Note that in those days the photo would have been taken in black & white and the colors added by a touch-up artist. These guys sometimes got the colors of such things as cap piping, ribbons and other things wrong. (In 1967, I had a portrait done for my new wife and it was taken in USAF Class A blues. The shirt should have been light blue, but came back from the studio as tan!) Those were the days before the modern color pix we take for granted.

The young Corporal in your photo would have recieved a promotion to Staff Sergeant when he was assigned to a combat crew in a combat zone.

Great photo! thumbsup.gif