Is he a WWI 2nd ID Marine or Soldier?

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I recently picked these items up and because of the Marksman badge I at first thought that he was a 2nd ID Marine. However, after doing a little research I am not so sure. I cannot make anything out on the collar disc but I do believe he was enlisted. The second portrait looks like it is of the same guy but he has 1st Lt. rank on and it looks as if he was in the reserves, looks like USR on his collar. The first portrait is huge it measures 29" by 24" and the second one looks to be hand tinted and measures 25" by 21" and any help is appreciated. Thanks!

post-1412-1321637186.jpgpost-1412-1321637192.jpg

Manchu Warrior
The first picture is of a Marine (pointed cuffs). Both great images.

That was fast and much appreciated. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Manchu Warrior
brothers perhaps?

The portraits came from the same estate sale and I never thought of the possibility of them being brothers. But seeing them right next to each the Marine's jaw does look a little wider and their eyes look slightly different. Nice job and again much appreciated. Thanks!

Is it possible that it could be the same man who joined the National Guard or Reserves and received a commission? :think: I say this because the angle of the head in each photo seems different :think: but then again the left ear seems much smaller in the picture of the marine. Just thinking out loud... and yes I know that can be dangerous here. ;)

John

Manchu Warrior
Is it possible that it could be the same man who joined the National Guard or Reserves and received a commission? :think: I say this because the angle of the head in each photo seems different :think: but then again the left ear seems much smaller in the picture of the marine. Just thinking out loud... and yes I know that can be dangerous here. ;)

John

I may take apart the frames to see if there is any information on the back. And the part in the hair looks oddly alike.

I may take apart the frames to see if there is any information on the back. And the part in the hair looks oddly alike.

Well Manchu They may be TWIN brothers, that would of course be difficult to find with out diffinative information, but if it is true that they're twins that would be really unique,and cool photos to have in ones collection.

John

Thats a good deduction, nothing wrong with that, but I would say no, if this Marine guy and the Army officer is one and the same and got out of the Marines after the war and went into the Army in any of the componates as a commission officer after the war, you will note the complete lack of ribbons on the supposit post war officer, if he was a veteran of service in the AEF, espiecialy the Marines he would have at least the WWI victory medal ribbon AND more importantly the French Fourragere on his Army uniform and intitled he would be to wear it and would have worn it with pride.

• 2 years later...

Thinking outside the box I m guessing its the same person just a later portrait as an officer.Hard to see in the picture but maybe there is a bit of the artists interpretation going on.Did the artist paint USMC on the collar?

Manchu Warrior

Can you make out EGA's on the Marine's collar disks?

No, I can see nothing on them.

We cannot be sure that #1 was a Marine. I have seen 1912 transitional ARMY EM coats with high collars and pointed cuffs with WW1 insignia -- most likely NG vets. It is my understanding that Marines and USN vets wore their overseas chevrons point up as opposed to point down as the Army did.

Am I seeing the dark discharge chevron on the cuff worn very low? I wonder why.

G

Patch looks like 1/6, maybe 3/6...but the disks threw me, which is why I inquired as to if there was an EGA on them. Buttons have detail?

Manchu Warrior

Patch looks like 1/6, maybe 3/6...but the disks threw me, which is why I inquired as to if there was an EGA on them. Buttons have detail?

It is not very clear but the buttons do have detail. It is to dark now so I will have to wait to tomorrow so I can take a close up photo in natural light.

Probably brothers.

...and No. 1 is a Marine. Pointed cuffs, pleated pockets, 6th Marine patch.

If you don't think so, sell it to me and I'll be happy.