Photo

Post Spam Am USMC Dress Blue enlisted EGA or not?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,501 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:53 AM

A few weeks ago I won an EGA auction containing a small filmstrip (of 4 views in various dress). Prior to bidding I asked a fellow forum member "Dirk" (chinamarine.org) if he was interested in the auction, as he owned other items of this Marine. So I've since passed along the strip to him, on to the topic at hand.

In spite of my searching of the forum threads, I cannot find the one or perhaps two threads in which this topic was discussed. And there are a few other photo's of this nature which depict some sort of dress blue collar device(s), not authorized at this time. SNM was stationed in Japan shortly after 1900, I'll leave the rest of his background to Dirk to cover.

I'm uncertain what these are? The top of the device certainly looks like an eagle, the rest is indistinguishable to the eye...
Even working the photo's further, than seen here, the details simply vanish. This is as good as it gets. Your thoughts?

Attached Images

• Copy__2__of_Copy_of_epalett_guy.jpg

#2 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,501 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

close-up

Attached Images

• Copy_of_Copy_of_epalett_guy.jpg

#3 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 25,725 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:07 AM

Nothing here?

Posted Image

#4 MasonK

MasonK
  • Members
    • Member ID: 29,885
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

I am by know means any kind of authority on EGA's or collar devices. However, I do see the outline of an anchor (see below). Could this be a USMC button that has been carved out and converted into a collar device or privately made based on that design?

Attached Images

• post_376_1321548845.jpg

Edited by MasonK, 17 November 2011 - 09:59 AM.

#5 MasonK

MasonK
  • Members
    • Member ID: 29,885
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

Attached Images

• MCbutton_1_.jpg

#6 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 9,831 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

When I first saw the photo, I thoughyt of the Army QUartermaster insignia large_matched_pair_of_ww1_army_quartermaster_officer_insignia.jpg

However, I do seee the anchor, at least I think I do.. Maybe a modification by the Marine?

#7 Dirk

Dirk

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 171
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:41 PM

D: Thanks for getting the thread going....as I said I've got two other photos of Marines of this era wearing some type of collar device...and all date from the 1906-13 period....one Marine is wearing what I am certain is an NRA award...the other and this man I am not sure of...two of them were seagoing (Asia and West coast USA) at the time while the other was a Marine marksman (east coast) ....I've not found anything that says who or why these were worn by only a handful of Marines

Edited by Dirk, 17 November 2011 - 03:43 PM.

#8 Dirk

Dirk

• Moderators
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

Here is Gunner Cal Lloyd at the end of his first enlistment....I think that is an NRA device.....BTW D thank you for the picture of Howard (probably the strip was taken in Japan)!

Attached Images

• gunnercal.jpg

Edited by Dirk, 17 November 2011 - 01:53 PM.

#9 Dirk

Dirk

• Moderators
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:39 PM

D: This man was off the USS Colorado c. 1908 (Mike M has a duplicate of this picture when it popped up on ebay a few years ago)...I remember doing a thread on it with Gary M when I first got this one in a group of pictures of the Marine and couldn't figure out the collar device....the other Marine at the top of the thread was in Japan from 1906-09

No one has yet to answer what the reg was or order that allowed these collar devices to be worn...all I know is they show up in pictures from 1906-13 and they are scare....anyone?

On a side note...each man has customized his EGA....these were the same years when this behavior appears more common.

Attached Images

• collarguy0001.jpg

Edited by Dirk, 17 November 2011 - 03:44 PM.

#10 Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz
  • Members
    • Member ID: 115
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

Looking at the first image, I believe I see only the eagle atop the anchor with no globe. I wonder if these Marines are wearing their uniforms for some sort of vet's organization and have added the collar devices perhaps?

#11 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,270 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:54 AM

perhaps derived from a sweetheart piece?

here's a similar 'charm pinback' emblem I own, inverted and put side-by-side. We've seen other variations as just pins in silver, gold, etc

Attached Images

• 100_4826.JPG

#12 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,501 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:23 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users