1918 LF&C knuckle knife

just-a-good-ole-boy

Steve,

Thanks for the link. I'm posting your pictures of the one with the commercial/advertising handle engraving for future reference. I don't believe I've ever seen one like it before.

post-70-1321317413.jpg

post-70-1321317425.jpg

post-70-1321317437.jpg

See U.S. Military Knives, Bayonets and Scabbards Book IV, pages 28 and 29. Mr. Cole shows this knife and the letter which accompanied it when given by the Seattle Tent and Awning Company to their best customers for Christmas 1923.

Steve,

Thanks for the link. I'm posting your pictures of the one with the commercial/advertising handle engraving for future reference. I don't believe I've ever seen one like it before.

Thanks for re-posting the photos of this knuckler in this sub-forum for our reference, GB.

TBH, I would have been happy to have been online, for the few few short hours prior to SPF, that this one was available.

I have seen a few other "Compliments of Seattle Tent & Awning Co." knives, and it seems that there were some other ones similarly engraved; one from a particular hardware store [iIRC].

I will dig through my photo files and see if I have any documented, to relate.

Congrats to the buyers of both of these knives. The other original LF&C, with high % blackening remaining was another nice find, despite the current market value that similar items seem to appreciate accordingly.

It seems like just about yesterday that one could purchase a decent one of these for $75 to $100; and I do recall hemmin'-n-hawin' about even making an offer at those figures. Suppose I could-a-would-a-should-a bought 'em all up... Huh..... :ermm:

post-21709-1321334473.jpg

Regards,

Don.

Don,

You are welcome. Glad to do it. Thanks for the additional information, and thank you too, Bayonetman. I have "The Best of Cole." Not sure if it's on there. I didn't think to look. :ermm:

By the time I started collecting U.S. military blades these knives were going for about $250. After about what seemed like an eternity (1-2 years), I bought an Au Lion for $225, which I still have. I bought another Au Lion from Frank Trzaska a couple of weeks ago from the collection of Ernie Modlin for $400 with a cool WWII leather sheath. It's the only two I have. I like the Au Lions because they are suposed to be the only ones that made it to the front lines in WWI.

Thanks for re-posting the photos of this knuckler in this sub-forum for our reference, GB.

TBH, I would have been happy to have been online, for the few few short hours prior to SPF, that this one was available.

I have seen a few other "Compliments of Seattle Tent & Awning Co." knives, and it seems that there were some other ones similarly engraved; one from a particular hardware store [iIRC].

I will dig through my photo files and see if I have any documented, to relate.

Congrats to the buyers of both of these knives. The other original LF&C, with high % blackening remaining was another nice find, despite the current market value that similar items seem to appreciate accordingly.

It seems like just about yesterday that one could purchase a decent one of these for $75 to $100; and I do recall hemmin'-n-hawin' about even making an offer at those figures. Suppose I could-a-would-a-should-a bought 'em all up... Huh..... :ermm:

post-21709-1321334473.jpg

Regards,

Don.

It is a good thing I didn't have the money right now or I would have snatched both of those up in a heartbeat. I had a Seattle Tent & Awning Co offered to me at the National Gun Day show last February that I passed on. The asking price was $5000.00 at the show.Someone was smoking something that day that had to have been not legal. I walked away layghing to myself over that one.

Hey Gang! I honestly never thought I would see a photograph of one of these. I love the quality of the engraving. Are there any figures out there as to how many were engraved.? THX SKIP