Photo

Clipping objects from their background: is there an easy way to do this?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ken88

ken88
  • Members
    • Member ID: 48,105
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:35 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if someone here knows a fast and easy way to clip objects from their background?

It takes ages to do this in Photoshop and when I'm finished it's not even perfect..

I'm looking for software that's specialized in doing this.

Thanks,
Ken

#2 jkash23686

jkash23686
  • Banned
    • Member ID: 22,057
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

Ken,
PSD is about the best. If the image isnt too complicated I can do it for you pretty quick since its what i do :). PM me.

#3 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,630 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:47 AM

The secret is to learn to use the PEN TOOL in Photoshop: you can move along pretty quickly once you get the hang of that. Basically it involves outling the object with a series of dots that connect to each other as you add them. If you enlarge the object on screen you can put dots close together to outline rough edges and after adding the dots you can go back and add dots that allow you to curve a straight line.

There are a lot of tutorials on the pen tool - here's one I selected at random from a google search: http://www.photoshop...ool-selections/

And here's a YouTube video that shows you under three minutes the basics.

#4 ken88

ken88
  • Members
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Thanks jkash, I don't need to have one done right away but I've seen some pretty neat pictures with clipped objects and I was just looking for a quick way to do it with pics in the future.

I'm familiar with Photoshop, I've had some lessons on how to do it but you really have to take some time to get it done.

Is there a way to photograph your object with a specific background colour so that you can just change the colour with some smart tool (in Photoshop?)

Thanks for the support and input guys.

Thanks!
Ken

#5 ken88

ken88
  • Members
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

Ok found how to do it with the quick selection tool :thumbsup:

It takes some time but it'll do! Thanks!

#6 Old Marine

Old Marine
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,843
  • 5,676 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:42 PM

There are a lot of ways to isolate an image. You can use the eraser tool, zoom in real close and you can chip away at the pixels. The Lasso tool works just like the Pen Tool that FS mentioned. Also there is the "Magic Wand tool" sometimes that works and other times it doesn't it depends on each image.

The more you use the lasso or pen tool the faster you will get.

#7 Captainofthe7th

Captainofthe7th
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,190
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

Sometimes the magnetic lasso tool is really helpful when there is a clear enough difference between your subject and the background you wish to delete.

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users