Special Forces Beret with Early DI

VMI88

At the local gun show yesterday I spotted an unusual looking beret:

post-265-1321194239.jpg

The colors actually look better in the photos than in person. It's very faded out and appears almost gray. I didn't even think it was US at first.

Here's a better view of the insignia:

post-265-1321194540.jpg

Note the early skull type Special Forces DI. It appears that the DI and candy stripe are original to the beret and the other items were added later, possibly for wear by a veteran. The interesting thing is that the beret supposedly came with the effects of a soldier who was killed in Vietnam but wasn't his personal beret because he wasn't in Special Forces. The speculation was that it was something he had traded for at some point but it could have even been acquired by the family later. Unfortunately the dealer just didn't know anything beyond the fact he had gotten it from the family (and he obviously had no idea what he had).

I've seen the candy stripe referred to as "Special Forces Airborne Reserve", but also found several conflicting descriptions. Can anyone confirm what this actually is?

The DI has been on the beret for a long, long time as the fabric underneath is still a bright green:

post-265-1321194926.jpg

The clutches have left marks and verdigris on the lining from being attached for so long and I wasn't even able to remove the crest to check it for backmarks. The stiffener in the beret seems pretty fragile and the posts appear to have corroded enough to make the DI difficult to remove. I didn't want to force it for fear of damaging it.

The other insignia has been there a while but don't show the same level of patina as the crest. The jump wing is NS Meyer marked and if I saw it alone I would say it was new. I certainly don't think it dates to the early or mid-60s. I'm not even sure what the significance of the eagle is: it's marked "Metzke". The Americal division pin appears to just be a souvenir type pin.

Here's a better view of the insignia:

post-265-1321194540.jpg

Note the early skull type Special Forces DI. It appears that the DI and candy stripe are original to the beret and the other items were added later, possibly for wear by a veteran. The interesting thing is that the beret supposedly came with the effects of a soldier who was killed in Vietnam but wasn't his personal beret because he wasn't in Special Forces. The speculation was that it was something he had traded for at some point but it could have even been acquired by the family later. Unfortunately the dealer just didn't know anything beyond the fact he had gotten it from the family (and he obviously had no idea what he had).

I've seen the candy stripe referred to as "Special Forces Airborne Reserve", but also found several conflicting descriptions. Can anyone confirm what this actually is?

The candy stripe was used to indicate an individual that was assigned to a group but was not SF qualified or in a training status prior to completion of SF training. I don't know if they still use it today, my last duty with SF was back in 1979 so have been away from it for some time.

Terry

The candy stripe was used to indicate an individual that was assigned to a group but was not SF qualified or in a training status prior to completion of SF training. I don't know if they still use it today, my last duty with SF was back in 1979 so have been away from it for some time.

Terry

I believe the "Special Forces" tab is now used to distinguish qualified SF from the support guys.

Your beret just screams Veteran's piece, worn this way for a parade, reunion, etc.

It probably started out as a legit uniform item. The SF crest and candy stripe were probably the original insignia on the beret. The other items were probably added post war.

I'm doubting that the soldier was KIA. The 23rd ID pin is neither US issue nor locally made. It looks like a post war item, as does the eagle pin.

I wouldn't go stripping it or anything like that. It is what it is at this point, with its own historical value.

I'm doubting that the soldier was KIA. The 23rd ID pin is neither US issue nor locally made. It looks like a post war item, as does the eagle pin.

It wasn't the owner of the beret who was KIA, but it came from the family of a soldier who was KIA. The dealer didn't know whether it was something the deceased soldier picked up at some point or whether the family got it later, but as he wasn't Special Forces it definitely wasn't his. I agree that some of the "add-ons" look more recent, but they still could have been added to a beret the soldier picked up. At this point we'll probably never know.

Terry

It's official designation was Group Recognition Bar. The blue with white border bars, and flashes were worn by all USAR (2nd, 9th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 17th, 24th and ARNG (16th, 19th, 20th, 21st), SF Groups and the 38th SF Co ARNG from 1960 until 1967 when the groups began wearing distinctive Flashes, and Bars. At that time there were only 4 RC SF Grps remaining (11th, 12th, 19th, 20th) and the 38th Co. The "Candy Stripe" (AKA "Striker Bar") met it demise after the SF Tab was authorized and the Green Beret was no longer worn by non-qualified personnel assigned to the SF units ('92-93?).

The beret pictured (yellow liner) was not a US Army issued green beanie.

Thanks to all for the information. My main question was about what unit the candy stripe represented. I didn't realize that all Reserve Component SF units wore the same flash at one point, so that was very interesting.

• 2 years later...

The "Candy Stripe" (AKA "Striker Bar") met it demise after the SF Tab was authorized and the Green Beret was no longer worn by non-qualified personnel assigned to the SF units ('92-93?).

It was January 1st, 1993. Prior to that date non-SF qualified personnel wore the same green beret as the SF qualified troops (including the female soldiers assigned to the Group Support Company.) I was issued a green beret in 1990 when I was assigned to 1st SF Group and another one in 1992 when I was assigned to 3rd group, and I am not SF qualified.

As of 1 January 1993, non-SF qualified personnel assigned to SF units wore the maroon beret with the group flash. I remember the date well, in fact, I clearly remember a soldier in my unit (Support Company, 3rd Bn, 3rd SFG) got yelled at by the 1sg for showing up in his maroon beret some time in late December, just before the Christmas half-day schedule began. He was told that the maroon beret was not authorized and he was to wear his green beret until Jan 1st.

After I left active duty I joined 19th SF Group in late 1998. At that time the battalion practice was that non-airborne qualified personnel assigned to the support company wore their soft caps, not berets. Once the soldier was airborne, he wore the maroon beret.

That beret has nothing to do with SF.

Somebody just stuck a bunch of pins on it at one time or another for some reasons nobody will ever know.

Somebody just stuck a bunch of pins on it at one time or another for some reasons nobody will ever know.

I understand that most of the pins are fantasy items, but what's wrong with the DI and candy stripe?

The DUI and candy stripe appear to be legit. I'm assuming the bluish color in the photos is a combination of poor lighting and bad fading.

That does appear to be a correct candy stripe for 19th SFG, not sure about the other RC SF Groups. I heard that at one time all RC SF units wore the plain blue flash.

The DUI and candy stripe appear to be legit. I'm assuming the bluish color in the photos is a combination of poor lighting and bad fading.

That does appear to be a correct candy stripe for 19th SFG, not sure about the other RC SF Groups. I heard that at one time all RC SF units wore the plain blue flash.

Negative! Prior to 1967 all RC SF groups wore the same flash which was blue with white border,

post-54663-0-78335100-1415651401.jpg

I missed the part about it being green under the pin.

It is typical of a downtown or PX purchased beret.

Genuine issued berets were hard to get at one time and most guys had only one.

You had to buy a replacement from the PX or a surplus type store and most all were pretty sorry looking.

They tended to have plastic bands and wierd interiors. One of the worst had a blanketed liner.

Candy bars were worn in the 60s as well by support troops, even legs at some periods.

They were also worn by qualified guys going through training group for different qualifications.

It was quite complicated.

Candy bars were worn in the 60s as well by support troops, even legs at some periods.

They were also worn by qualified guys going through training group for different qualifications.

It was quite complicated.

Horsepucky! Once you earned the SQI "S" or "3" qualification you would not wear a "candy bar" when returning to SFTG for another MOS. You wore the flash of the group that sent you to the course.