USMC Corporal Chevrons

hirsca

Happy 236th Birthday USMC. I found these today at an estate sale. Three of them are felt on twill, but each one is a sewn little differently from the other two. The other one is embroidered on twill and is slightly smaller than the other three. Other items purchased in the sale were from WW2. Would these be from that era also? Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1320974652.jpg

post-12790-1320974664.jpg

Happy 236th Birthday USMC. I found these today at an estate sale. Three of them are felt on twill, but each one is a sewn little differently from the other two. The other one is embroidered on twill and is slightly smaller than the other three. Other items purchased in the sale were from WW2. Would these be from that era also? Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

next

post-12790-1320974780.jpg

post-12790-1320974794.jpg

Many thanks doyler. Al.

Here is another set that I need help on. I think that they are USMC also, but I'll yield to the experts here on the forum. Much smaller, only 2 3/4" wide. OD embroidered on khaki twill. For the Woman's Marine uniform? Thanks, Al.

post-12790-1321129035.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Your last set is army, I believe. While *possible* they are USMC, I don't think so, the Corps typically didn't use this particular style, whereas I *have* seen them ID'd in the past as army chevrons.

As small as they are it's possible they may be Women Marine, yes...but I don't believe so.

Your last set is army, I believe. While *possible* they are USMC, I don't think so, the Corps typically didn't use this particular style, whereas I *have* seen them ID'd in the past as army chevrons.

As small as they are it's possible they may be Women Marine, yes...but I don't believe so.

Maybe women Marine chevrons from the 50s ?

Thanks Jason G. When you say "style," do you mean that the inside angle of the chevron is smaller than the others that I posted? The other 3 1/2" chevrons have a more open (larger) angle. Thanks, Al.

Thanks Jason G. When you say "style," do you mean that the inside angle of the chevron is smaller than the others that I posted? The other 3 1/2" chevrons have a more open (larger) angle. Thanks, Al.

I think it would be that the chevrons are embroidered as opposed to the being applique or with the intire chevron being of the woven rayon type.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant Patches. Should have been more clear. You also have to take into consideration shrinkage to a certain extent from laundering and starching. Again...*could* they be female Marine? Sure. However, I think that just by themselves, without any provenance or other evidence available, I would classify them as army.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant Patches. Should have been more clear. You also have to take into consideration shrinkage to a certain extent from laundering and starching. Again...*could* they be female Marine? Sure. However, I think that just by themselves, without any provenance or other evidence available, I would classify them as army.

Yes, could it be those from the 50s or a little earlier ? after all the Embroiderd on khaki twill started to be worn, was it ? towards the end of WWII, it was'nt to common right ? maybe these are for female Marine in the late 40s 50s, and the lousy condidtion has nothing to do with use but rather time and mishandling over the years.

Thanks to all for the comments. I will put them in the Army section since I don't recall which estate sale I got them from, thus no provenance. Thanks again, Al.